Running

trimandson

I've thought about running to work before. It would be ideal as it's fairly flat (down the hagley road) and about 4 mile, but there's no showers at our place.

There's a gym next door which some people pay £30 a month for membership just to use the showers after cycling in, but I don't really want to do that. One of my favourite things about running is its free.

41 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I've thought about running to work before. It would be ideal as it's fairly flat (down the hagley road) and about 4 mile, but there's no showers at our place.

There's a gym next door which some people pay £30 a month for membership just to use the showers after cycling in, but I don't really want to do that. One of my favourite things about running is its free.

That's a shame, otherwise it would have been ideal. I was very lucky working for a university. I didn't even need to use the sports centre showers, as there was a disabled toilet with a shower right on the same corridor as my office. Seven mile run, with a big **** off hill in the middle, but I always felt great after I'd done it (and had a full English!). Then a pub lunch. The only thing about work I get nostalgic about! 

• Like 1

Did my last long run today prior to Manchester marathon in 3 weeks. I know it goes against guidance but I decided to push it fairly hard as I have never pushed any run above 13 miles before and didn't want to wait until the actual marathon to test myself. I did just over 20 miles in 2 hours 54 minutes at an average of 8:37 min miles. Last mile was hovering around 10 minutes though so was slowing down. It was a hilly route though and Manchester is flat so that should be a positive.

• Like 3

First marathon, Mark? Just make sure you don't go off too fast. Stick to your planned mile splits, and don't chase those who are going past you. You'll be overtaking them in the last third of the race. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

First marathon, Mark? Just make sure you don't go off too fast. Stick to your planned mile splits, and don't chase those who are going past you. You'll be overtaking them in the last third of the race. 

Yes mate first marathon. I would like a sub 4 so what pace would you suggest I go off at? I know I will slow down. Today I did half marathon in 1:47 so was that a little quick?

3 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Yes mate first marathon. I would like a sub 4 so what pace would you suggest I go off at? I know I will slow down. Today I did half marathon in 1:47 so was that a little quick?

Awesome job, you should be well able for a sub 4hr with pace like that. 3:55 is 9min pace, so if you are focussed on beating 4hr go out somewhere around there and you should be good... but, your 1/2 predicts for a 3:42 marathon, so maybe go out at 8:30-8:40 pace? There will pobably be a 3:45 pace group, if so I'd be tempted to hang off them.

I was in a similar position when I did my first 6yrs back. I had a couple of 1:48 HM under my belt and went out with the 3:45 group... last 6 miles were a horrible death march, but I still came in at 3:52.

What's the point in all this training if you're not going to challenge yourself? :cheers: 

Edited by villakram
  • Like 2

@villakram Cheers for the advice mate. I think I will aim to stay under 8:30 min miles for as long as I can and then hope I have enough in the bank for when I inevitably slow down. If I can do what I did yesterday and get to 20.2 miles in 2:54 that gives me an hour and 5 mins to do 6 miles, for a sub 4, which is a tad under 11 minute miles so I am hoping do able.

I just dread getting within a handful of miles of the finish and then hitting a wall.

I'm guessing that Manchester will have a decent turnout of spectators. Those last few tough miles, they'll help you. Every encouraging shout of "Go on mate, you're doing fine" will probably have you in tears, but it's amazing how much it helps. Just dig in, you'll do it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, andyjsg said:

What are your plans for nutrition?

A couple of hours before the marathon I was planning on having some pasta. A high carb meal the night before as well. During it energy gels every 5 miles. They actually have them at the drink stations from 5 miles on. Aside from that I really haven't a clue. Maybe some shot blocks every few miles, some one even advised me to take some jelly babies with me which I have on a couple of my longer training runs.

@mjmooney Manchester is the second biggest marathon in the country I think and from the photos/videos I have watched it is really well supported. I also have 7 family members coming with me to support me.

It will be a whole new experience for me so wondering how much impact/help adrenalin will have.

I'm going by my experience in London in 1982(!). I'd never gone over 18 miles in training, and in the last few miles I was running on fumes. Every single person that gave me an encouraging shout, I wanted to hug them. My head was totally gone, emotions all over the place, but I kept going. 

The following year I did the Leeds marathon on much less training, on a cold, grim day. Hardly any spectators, and those silent. I was starving, and what got me round was the thought of the fish and chip van at the finish. I got there, and it was gone. 

• Like 2

A couple of hours before the marathon I was planning on having some pasta. A high carb meal the night before as well. During it energy gels every 5 miles. They actually have them at the drink stations from 5 miles on. Aside from that I really haven't a clue. Maybe some shot blocks every few miles, some one even advised me to take some jelly babies with me which I have on a couple of my longer training runs.

Okay, last big carb meal the lunchtime before otherwise you will feel heavy and probably need a dump. So a sandwich or something the night before (your muscles can only take in a certain amount of carbs) and then a carb breakfast but again don't go over the top as you will just feel heavy, I go peanut butter on toast wether I'm doing 10k or long distance. As for the race itself I drop a couple of gels, but my stomach doesn't live lots of them, so I use the almond bounce balls, I used two for my 22 miler last week, just a small bite at a time. I don't buy into the gels every few miles thing as it's just the gel companies trying to sell you more gels, but something (gel, bar or shot blocks) every 45 mins to an hour or so is good I think. Make sure you drink plenty, I tend to have more issues with that than anything else.

My first proper race since last year tomorrow, I have done some cross country and various club runs, but nothing where I have trained and willing to bury myself for a time. I'm doing Eastleigh 10K which attracts the good runners as its a fast course, last year to make top 100 you would have to run sub 36:30 which is currently faster than my PB, hopefully something I will change tomorrow :-) :-) :-)

• Like 4

Yes absolutely definitely don't have pasta 2 hours before! Andy is dead right about light meal on the evening and toast or porridge on the morning. You want to be running with fuel in your muscles, not food in your belly.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, andyjsg said:

Seems my early morning bagel and peanut butter is a goer, didn't have any stomach problems which I usually have. Ate white bread and rice yesterday too so whilst I'm usually mr whole meal everything, it's maybe better to go white and block yourself up :-) :-)

Anyway a far more successful run than expected, took nearly 2:30 out of my 10K PB to do 34:52 which is far better than I expected. Took my 5K PB as during the run too, so feeling good about doing good times at Reading HM and VLM. The training works!!!!

That is a bloody superb time, Andy, well done mate.

Nice steady ten miles in the sunshine for me this morning! 

That is a bloody superb time, Andy, well done mate.

Nice steady ten miles in the sunshine for me this morning! 

Thank you, whilst not really what i am training for, I have sort of achieved a long term goal for 10K time. My first proper run was a 10K when I started just less than 5 years ago and I ran around 51 mins. I would really, really like to run a sub 75 min HM but I think that's a bit out of my range at the moment. My main aim is 2:45 for VLM and I think it's a possible if I look after myself.

• Like 1

Â