Running

trimandson

Andy - That is a massive amount to take off your 10k PB!! Oh and I think you are well on your way to a 2:45 VLM finish!

I ran the Stafford half yesterday as part of my training for Brighton marathon. Thought I was in decent shape, so was hoping to beat my PB (just under 1:33), so was hoping to run 1:31/1:32 ish. Got through 10m in about 1:09 which I knew was good for 1:31, felt good so pushed on and finished 3:20 under my previous PB to get 1:29:32. Over the moon!!! You have to love marathon training :D

Now need to decide what I should target for Brighton, I was hoping for under 3:30 but does that seem a "soft" target now considering my HM time? Thinking I may attempt 3:25 as I have been running MP during training at 7:55 min/miles.

• Like 4

@Andy, damn you're absolutely flying, wicked time! My 10k time is molasses like north of 40mins (nov '15) and I'm gonna try for 2:50 in 10 weeks :) 

@SteveMac, I think you should be aiming at something closer to 3hrs. A 1:30 half should be good for a 3:10-3:15 full, depending on how all out that was. Congrats either way, sub 90 is a great feeling.

• Like 1

I agree above, sub 90 half should translate to circa 3:15 of you get training/nutrition right.

Quite right about marathon training, I just ticked off 900km for the year and whilst I don't agree with slogging tons of mileage there is a happy medium and the couple of times I've decided to ignore my body this year I have ended up ill or injured. But man has it improved my speed and I think this is a case off being obviously fitter (had a resting heart rate in the mid 30s last week - although I'm quite a big guy so is normal) and losing a ton of weight. I had a subtle question from a friend who I hadn't seen in a while if I had some sort of long term illness.

• Like 2

Yeah I realise the sub 90 sets me up nicely for a 3:15 attempt, but not sure how wise that is for my second marathon? I was planning on going after a sub 3:15 time in Berlin in September. Training has gone well, my 5 longest runs will total just over 100 miles, with 4 runs of 20m or more. Thinking of starting out at 3:25 pace and seeing how I go, can always push to 3:20 pace after say 13/15m depending on how I feel. Decisions, decisions!!

Regarding how all out the sub 90 was, pretty all out!! I could have probably pushed harder around miles 5-9, but then not sure what I would have had left for the final push. If my Garmin is correct, I ran the first 10 miles in 1:09:20, so did the last 5k in 20:12 which is faster than my 5k Parkrun PB (20:18)!! So I did finish strong :D

@villakram A 2:50 attempt from a 10k time of 40 mins is VERY impressive!!

Edited by SteveMac
Missed off something first time!

My comeback continues well. After a steady ten miler at the weekend, did some tough hill reps with the club last night, and it was hard work, but enjoyable. 

@SteveMac: I think it just means I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to 5k/10k right now. I've done a couple of 12mi@~6:30 runs for my current cycle and I've a 14mi@~6:30 tomorrow that I'm not overly worried about.

I did 1:30 fairly comfortably a few weeks before VLM last year. I ended up doing VLM in 3:33. I think HM * 2 + 15mins is fine as long as you have a good few 20 milers beforehand. I missed a couple of long runs and got the nutrition wrong :(

• 2 weeks later...

Back at it after work related knee injury ....have a 4 mile race this sunday looking forward to it ...then 2 weeks after I have a duathalon ...thing is im a big guy and an xl tri suit is toighhhhtttt &  highlights a spare tyre .....do I just wear singlet and shorts and take the ball pain on the bike ?

Not what I hopped in my half marathon this morning, had a bit of flu (a bit chesty and nose was running) and tried to go hard and clear it out but was just too hard not being able to get the deep breaths in. So halfway I just gave up and went into marathon pace until the end which ended me up a minute or so slower than last year. Live to fight another day and all that....

Edited by andyjsg
  • Like 1

As some of you know I have my first marathon next Sunday. I am at present doing very little as on the rest phase I guess but I am struggling to get my head around that I haven't done a long run for 2 weeks when I did just over 20 miles. This week I have done two seven mile runs at race pace. What should I be doing now distance wise with a week to go?

As some of you know I have my first marathon next Sunday. I am at present doing very little as on the rest phase I guess but I am struggling to get my head around that I haven't done a long run for 2 weeks when I did just over 20 miles. This week I have done two seven mile runs at race pace. What should I be doing now distance wise with a week to go?

Very little, maybe a couple of 3-5s and a 2 mile at marathon pace on Thursday. My taper starts this week, just one longish run to go and the rest is shorter/speed work stuff.

• Like 1

Did the Manchester Marathon yesterday, first ever one, and a real mixed bag of a run. I was hoping for sub 4 but I did 4 hours and 13 mins. First 10k in 51 mins then went over badly on my foot at 11 miles but still got to half way in 1 hour 50. Got to 20 miles in 2 hours 54 and then cramp set in. First in one leg then in both. The last 6.2 miles was agony and took me 79 minutes with the last mile in 16 minutes. I ended up sprawled out on my back for 4 minutes with a spectator trying to push my feet back to ease the cramp. I genuinely thought with 0.5 miles to go I am not going to get there.

You envisage beforehand running across the line but in the end I hobbled over in agony and it has taken the gloss off it all just a little.The support was absolutely fantastic though and as I was running for Macmillan and had my name on my top the amount of people shouting my name and encouraging me was so heart-warming and got me over the line in the end.

The foot I went over on at 11 miles is in a bit of a state. I am not sure if it is just swollen and bruised or something more serious. I have put a picture of it below for you guys to view just before your tea :D

ae3bb6c.jpg6549307.jpgae3bb6c.jpg

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

Any advice?

Come back after constant knee injury lay off, been building it up on the old exercise bike.... and have pulled something in my groin/upper hip area?

How long am I looking at here? :(

I am getting to the stage where I can see the appeal of just letting go and giving up. Becoming one of those people you would see after five  and think...how the **** did they ever let themselves go that bad.

4 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Any advice?

Come back after constant knee injury lay off, been building it up on the old exercise bike.... and have pulled something in my groin/upper hip area?

How long am I looking at here? :(

I am getting to the stage where I can see the appeal of just letting go and giving up. Becoming one of those people you would see after five  and think...how the **** did they ever let themselves go that bad.

Physio first lad ...get some dynamic stretches into your game 

4 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Did the Manchester Marathon yesterday, first ever one, and a real mixed bag of a run. I was hoping for sub 4 but I did 4 hours and 13 mins. First 10k in 51 mins then went over badly on my foot at 11 miles but still got to half way in 1 hour 50. Got to 20 miles in 2 hours 54 and then cramp set in. First in one leg then in both. The last 6.2 miles was agony and took me 79 minutes with the last mile in 16 minutes. I ended up sprawled out on my back for 4 minutes with a spectator trying to push my feet back to ease the cramp. I genuinely thought with 0.5 miles to go I am not going to get there.

You envisage beforehand running across the line but in the end I hobbled over in agony and it has taken the gloss of it all just a little.The support was absolutely fantastic though and as I was running for Macmillan and had my name on my top the amount of people shouting my name and encouraging me was so heart-warming and got me over the line in the end.

The foot I went over on at 11 miles is in a bit of a state. I am not sure if it is just swollen and bruised or something more serious. I have put a picture of it below for you guys to view just before your tea :D

ae3bb6c.jpg6549307.jpgae3bb6c.jpg

Fair balls fella .....absolutely admire your drive to make it with that injury

• Like 1

Â