Running

trimandson

every single shop assistant I talked to tried to sell me the Asics Gel Kayanos, and they felt really nice when I tried them on. I was weighing up whether it was worth paying the extra $70, when I got to the last store I was going to check in and found them for 30% off. Sold!

They really are the mutts nuts. My choice for about 10 years now

I was an Asics man for probably 20 years or so but I tried a pair of Brooks on in a shop the other year and they were the most comfy running trainer I'd ever worn .. And so it was bye bye Asics .

They've really helped me with overcoming my knee problems and allowed me to run for longer and increase my fitness as a result 

• Like 2

I had been pretty much exclusively using Saucony Kinvara/A6, but the low drop is one of the main reasons my Achilles had been playing up all year. Last week I picked up a pair of Mizuno Wave Rider and they seem to have given my Achilles a bit more support whilst still allowing me to push off the front of the foot and open up my stride. It's been the first time I have been able to run fast and comfortable since Early May. I also have some custom orthotics to use, but they are still in the wearing around town/house stage.

I had been pretty much exclusively using Saucony Kinvara/A6, but the low drop is one of the main reasons my Achilles had been playing up all year. Last week I picked up a pair of Mizuno Wave Rider and they seem to have given my Achilles a bit more support whilst still allowing me to push off the front of the foot and open up my stride. It's been the first time I have been able to run fast and comfortable since Early May. I also have some custom orthotics to use, but they are still in the wearing around town/house stage.

I still run everything in my Gel Nimbus, which are primarily a comfort / long distance shoe. Do you think getting something a bit more minimalist will help 5k times? I've always liked the look of the J33s.

Originally I thought yes, but the weight difference in reality is probably 200g so I think it was probably psychological and the fact I had changed from supportive shoes which were restricting how much I could bend my foot. The Mizuno are a lot more cushioned yet I was banging out quick reps the other night on little training. The J33s may though allow you to amend your foot position which potentially could open out your stride, but depends on your running style.I am quickest when I'm up on my toes and able to open my stride up.

I've got a pair of Saucony trainers, and they're comfy as anything.  I've also been wearing compression socks every run, and they've made a huge difference.

only cause you've been wearing them on your hands ;)

Edit : masturbation joke fail as I didn't read the "every run" bit in my haste to type the hilarious gag   :blush:

Edited by tonyh29

• 2 weeks later...

Legs only coming right now ...shouldn't have worked the days after that run , bring on the Dublin city marathon next year, on another note I threw out the trainers I had almost sure they are the cause of my leg problems, booked in to get the proper fitting done in January (gait)

On 11/12/2015, 7:15:33, andyjsg said:

I love my Kinvaras, took a bit of getting used to but now prefer the low drop. Looking for a pair of trail running shoes and have tried on a few I'm leaning towards the Saucony Peregrine or Salomon Sense Pro. Anyone got any other recommendations? 

4 minutes ago, djdabush said:

I love my Kinvaras, took a bit of getting used to but now prefer the low drop. Looking for a pair of trail running shoes and have tried on a few I'm leaning towards the Saucony Peregrine or Salomon Sense Pro. Anyone got any other recommendations? 

I use the Saucony TR2 with a heel raise, I love them as seem to be able to grip properly unlike others I have tried. Used them for a late night trail run last week with head torch, loads of fun.

Finally starting to get some distance back in my legs and able to do training sessions so I feel like Im on my way back. First race for a while on the 13th, looking forward to seeing what shape Im really in. Like Risso I am in the VLM, training starts now if I have  hope of achieving the time I am after.

Applied for Berlin Marathon ballot and didn't get in, kind've relieved as heart wasn't truly in it. Maybe next year, but will keep occupied with a few runs in the meantime. Andyjsg I assume you get in to VLM with a qualifying time? What time you looking to run in April?

Yeah I did my first marathon at Milton Keynes in May and got 2:55 which got me in under the 3:05 qualifying time. Milton Keynes isn't particularly flat (although maybe a good option for a qualifying time from this year as they have got the council to open up more road so less underpasses etc) so hoping by April to be in shape (I still have weight to lose) to do a sub 2:45.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, andyjsg said:

Yeah I did my first marathon at Milton Keynes in May and got 2:55 which got me in under the 3:05 qualifying time. Milton Keynes isn't particularly flat (although maybe a good option for a qualifying time from this year as they have got the council to open up more road so less underpasses etc) so hoping by April to be in shape (I still have weight to lose) to do a sub 2:45.

Jesus, I hope to get round in under 10 hours!

• Like 1

Â