Running

trimandson

4 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Did the Manchester Marathon yesterday, first ever one, and a real mixed bag of a run. I was hoping for sub 4 but I did 4 hours and 13 mins. First 10k in 51 mins then went over badly on my foot at 11 miles but still got to half way in 1 hour 50. Got to 20 miles in 2 hours 54 and then cramp set in. First in one leg then in both. The last 6.2 miles was agony and took me 79 minutes with the last mile in 16 minutes. I ended up sprawled out on my back for 4 minutes with a spectator trying to push my feet back to ease the cramp. I genuinely thought with 0.5 miles to go I am not going to get there.

You envisage beforehand running across the line but in the end I hobbled over in agony and it has taken the gloss of it all just a little.The support was absolutely fantastic though and as I was running for Macmillan and had my name on my top the amount of people shouting my name and encouraging me was so heart-warming and got me over the line in the end.

The foot I went over on at 11 miles is in a bit of a state. I am not sure if it is just swollen and bruised or something more serious. I have put a picture of it below for you guys to view just before your tea :D

ae3bb6c.jpg6549307.jpgae3bb6c.jpg

Absolutely well done anyway. Shit happens. Get signed up for the next one, do the same training and smash it.

Aside from the going over on the ankle, sounds like my VLM story with the cramp at 20 miles.

As soon as the VLM ballot opens, get on it and do that. It's an incredible experience (I'm sure Manchester was too)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, darrenm said:

Absolutely well done anyway. Shit happens. Get signed up for the next one, do the same training and smash it.

Aside from the going over on the ankle, sounds like my VLM story with the cramp at 20 miles.

As soon as the VLM ballot opens, get on it and do that. It's an incredible experience (I'm sure Manchester was too)

Cheers Darren. I am considering entering the Liverpool Rock n Roll Marathon which is just over 6 weeks away. Is this too soon? I am still in a fair bit of pain now obviously and foot is still bruised and swollen after going over on it but I would like to think I could be running again by this weekend. What kind of training would I be looking at doing now? Would I almost treat it like last 6 weeks leading up to my last marathon so would allow me four long runs before a 3 week taper.

It was never necessarily my intention to even do another one ever but I feel like I have unfinished business after what happened on Sunday and want to learn from what happened from 20 miles on and try and be in better shape and maybe do things differently during the run. I am not sure I took on enough water now as I would hazard over the whole run I had no more than a litre. That was down to fear of wanting the toilet but in hindsight I would have been much better needing to pee a couple of times rather than ending up with severe cramp. Could a lack of hydration have caused the cramp or contributed to it?

Anyone done the Liverpool marathon by the way?

Edited by markavfc40

Well done Mark, excellent effort!!

I annoyingly moved house last week, ran twice then got the flu which isn't ideal, but better than next week I guess. Hopefully will be able to do a short recovery run tomorrow.

@markavfc40 screw the pain, suffering and all that, you didn't give up and have an experience you'll never forget! There's simply nothing quite like a death march... fair play.

That foot looks sore, so take care over the next few days not to aggravate it if anything is strained or worse. Regarding the next marathon in six weeks, you should try something like:

day 0: FM done!

week1: Recovery, recovery, recovery... minimal milage, just try and get your legs moving a little, 2-3 30mins run would be good with maybe up to an hour next weekend max, all at a super easy pace.

week2: More of above if you need it but other wise try get back to 60-75% of your peak milage.

week3: 90-100% peak milage. 

week4: 100% peak milage.

week5: 60-70%

week6: FM

Try and get a little running in at your goal marathon pace in weeks 3/4/5 but above all just recover. You won't lose much/any fitness and it sounds like rolling your foot sabotaged you this time around.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Meath_Villan said:

next step mark is doing an ultra .....;)

That is anything over 30 miles isn't it mate? I think I'll pass :)

Had I have gotten a sub 4 hour marathon in Manchester I am not sure I would have wanted to run another one. Certainly not this year. My plan was to keep running 2 or 3 times a week but just do the odd half marathon. I want that sub 4 though so have to give it one more go at least.

Edited by markavfc40

Ran a trail race today, despite a sore Achilles and a general lack of fitness. I was relatively happy with a fifth-place finish, but there's always room for improvement. Notice I'm repping the Villa shorts (No. 701, left). One of these days, someone will actually comment on them (hasn't happened yet).

13015365_10209348221528418_1818640462453238373_n.jpg

• Like 3

was with the Physio last night over my knee ...Turns out it was my IT band ....oh lord the pain 

I think my IT band is playing up. What was the advice to help it?

7 days no running and VLM next week, not fun!! Flu has been so bad and all I can do is sit and wait for it to go. I still hope I'm in a-form next week, but may have to reconsider my expectations as wont quite be peak.

Did my first run today since Manchester marathon last week. Just a steady 7 miles at 8 min 20 sec pace. It felt fine and the foot I injured although still bruised didn't give me any problems. I am still undecided about whether or not to enter Liverpool marathon in 6 weeks and go after the sub 4 hour and try to erase the memory of the last 6 miles last week.

Â