Running

trimandson

Been running for a about a month now, doing about 5 miles but looking to go further.

I've got shin splints and bad calves though as I don't have proper running shoes.

Are Nike Revolution 2 any good?  Nice and cheap on Mike Ashley's web-site,

45 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Well done to everyone on their various endeavours today. I won my duathlon :D

Holy shit. Won. WON. I are well impressed. Celebrate! 

I'm still tired from my slow ten mile training run this morning. 

Holy shit. Won. WON. I are well impressed. Celebrate! 

I'm still tired from my slow ten mile training run this morning. 

Not quite as good as it sounds. It was a mini duathlon 2.5k run, 12k cycle, 2.5k run. Balls out from the start. Managed the first run averaging 5.50/mile though which is good for me.

19 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Been running for a about a month now, doing about 5 miles but looking to go further.

I've got shin splints and bad calves though as I don't have proper running shoes.

Are Nike Revolution 2 any good?  Nice and cheap on Mike Ashley's web-site,

Get you gait done ...see what type of shoe you need (only the gait dont get conned into getting shoes there and then) unless you want to 

How do you all get over stitch? 

It seems whenever I run I get to the 3/4k mark and then always get stitch! I try slowing down and waiting for the pain to go and then speeding back up but it seems to instantly come back. It forces me to stop. I just can't seem to get past the 4k mark.

Occasionally I'll have a really good day with no stitch and easily do 5 or 6k. But it's very rare :(

I've tried running in the morning, lunch break, evening, not eating, eating, not drinking water, drinking water.... really don't know what causes it :( 

Edited by PieFacE

I slow down the pace and put four fingers underneath the rib which is hurting.  It then goes away.

Isn't stitch when you're over doing it?  Maybe you haven't got a very high speed ceiling?  I don't know what I'm saying.

• Like 1

They can't actually decide what specifically causes stitch but as side stitch is a common complaint for runners and I always used to get it when running faster than my fitness allowed. I don't get it now as I run out of oxygen before my lats give up. When I did some core strength work (specifically press ups) it made them strong enough to cope with what was demanded of them. Drinking anything made no difference.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, darrenm said:

They can't actually decide what specifically causes stitch but as side stitch is a common complaint for runners and I always used to get it when running faster than my fitness allowed. I don't get it now as I run out of oxygen before my lats give up. When I did some core strength work (specifically press ups) it made them strong enough to cope with what was demanded of them. Drinking anything made no difference.

Possibly related to smoking if it's to do with oxygen levels? Think I need to try and improve my core then. And quit smoking.

Edited by PieFacE

2 hours ago, darrenm said:

Then you're not running hard enough ;)

We were talking about stitch at the club last week. Nobody in the group got it - and there were some seriously fast guys there. Although I say it myself, my cardiovascular system is very good (musculoskeletal is a different story). Maybe that's the secret. 

39 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

We were talking about stitch at the club last week. Nobody in the group got it - and there were some seriously fast guys there. Although I say it myself, my cardiovascular system is very good (musculoskeletal is a different story). Maybe that's the secret. 

I think it's very much a thing you get when your muscles are catching up with your aerobics. Once you have sufficiently strong support muscles it seems to go away.

Â