Running

trimandson

On 29 November 2015 at 2:01:47 PM, andyjsg said:

I use the Saucony TR2 with a heel raise, I love them as seem to be able to grip properly unlike others I have tried. Used them for a late night trail run last week with head torch, loads of fun.

Finally starting to get some distance back in my legs and able to do training sessions so I feel like Im on my way back. First race for a while on the 13th, looking forward to seeing what shape Im really in. Like Risso I am in the VLM, training starts now if I have  hope of achieving the time I am after.

I've started my training now, got a 16 week plan mapped out, which as it's 20 weeks until the event, gives me a little bit spare, which I think I'll need.  Just going out now, in a force 8 gale! :( 

Might take up sprinting instead.

2 hours ago, RichardCanning said:

Applied for Berlin Marathon ballot and didn't get in, kind've relieved as heart wasn't truly in it. Maybe next year, but will keep occupied with a few runs in the meantime. Andyjsg I assume you get in to VLM with a qualifying time? What time you looking to run in April?

Wouldn’t mind doing the Berlin, flattest marathon you can do isn’t it?

I did the VERY hilly Bristol to Bath marathon in 3.44 so would hope to get under 3.30 on a flat course.

2 hours ago, RichardCanning said: Applied for Berlin Marathon ballot and didn't get in, kind've relieved as heart wasn't truly in it. Maybe next year, but will keep occupied with a few runs in the meantime. Andyjsg I assume you get in to VLM with a qualifying time? What time you looking to run in April?

Wouldn’t mind doing the Berlin, flattest marathon you can do isn’t it?

I did the VERY hilly Bristol to Bath marathon in 3.44 so would hope to get under 3.30 on a flat course.

Yeah world records at Berlin, super fast course.

I've seen the profile to Bristol/Bath, looks very tough.

So the itinerary is fairly booked for next year.....I aim to have another half marathon done by march,triathalon/duathlon by  july, 160k bike ride around the same time and to end it with the dublin city marathon ............only worried about the triathlon has anyone any experience ?

31 minutes ago, Meath_Villan said:

So the itinerary is fairly booked for next year.....I aim to have another half marathon done by march,triathalon/duathlon by  july, 160k bike ride around the same time and to end it with the dublin city marathon ............only worried about the triathlon has anyone any experience ?

I'm doing my first Tri in June, the Blenheim Palace sprint.

Getting lots of swimming in because I've started from pretty much nothing.

I did a couple of duathlons this year. I thought I'd be right up there on the running but it turns out that I was about 4th or 5th on the running but 1st or 2nd on the bike which was surprising. Seems I'm a better cyclist than runner.

Just had the wetsuit delivered. Hopefully once that gets my tree trunks up to the top of the water I'll actually have a decent speed in the water too.

Done a few :-) :-) have two half irons and and a full booked in for next year. As Darren says do lots of swimming (which I really don't do which is why I suck at swimming) and bike will make biggest difference on your time at any distance of triathlon.

Just did 15K outside, and i will never run on a treadmill again no matter how many hot girls that are working out in front of me.

The feeling you get from running outside is just so much better.

My uncle has always said iam an idiot for running inside, he said running is about oxygenate your body and your not doing that in a bloody gym.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Ikantcpell said:

Just did 15K outside, and i will never run on a treadmill again no matter how many hot girls that are working out in front of me.

The feeling you get from running outside is just so much better.

My uncle has always said iam an idiot for running inside, he said running is about oxygenate your body and your not doing that in a bloody gym.

This .........I did a 5k in the middle of storm desmond, the only guy in the park, wet , cold but at the end well worth it .................................also those 5-10k runs that go on have there advantages in women as well :D

Bit the bullet and joined that running club after 3 months of thinking about it, nice light 5k tonight full of women left them for dust when the coach said own pace last km, I just hit the gas,  also got under 15 stone last week ...first time in 18 years

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Risso said:

First post Christmas binge eating run this afternoon, managed 5 miles quite nicely with no sore shins, then called it a day before the latest storm hit.

Half marathon in spring?

On 30 December 2015 at 09:01, darrenm said:

Half marathon in spring?

That's the idea.  Tonight will be my last alcoholic drink until after the marathon, and I'm going to step things up fitness wise from this weekend onwards.

*Drinks some more wine*

So this week I finally went running with the running club that I joined a couple of months ago. Ran a gentle 4 miler but it was nice to run with a group and also to start stepping up my distances again. Trying to steer clear of too much road running but still have next year's Birmingham half marathon in my sights.

• Like 1

Likely your IT band... running 101 injury. I don't know of a single person who started running later in life who hasn't bumped into this, me included. The stretch in the vid below is pretty good (there are loads others on there too, so if that doesn't work try something different). When running, you want to work your fingers into the outside of your leg a few inches below the hip when you feel it coming on, which will help loosen it up enough to stop annoying your knee. 

* Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor and if you end up in a wheelchair it's pretty much your own fault ;)

Edited by villakram
  • Like 2

Marathon training starts in anger tomorrow, 16 miles with 8 at marathon pace, gonna be tough!!

Did an interesting double parkrun yesterday. I won Basingstoke then cycled the 16 miles to Newbury in 46 mins to then run 19:15 (14th place). Easy 20 miles on the bike home. Legs hurt this morning!!!

• Like 1

On 01/01/2016 at 19:02, villakram said:

Likely your IT band... running 101 injury. I don't know of a single person who started running later in life who hasn't bumped into this, me included. The stretch in the vid below is pretty good (there are loads others on there too, so if that doesn't work try something different). When running, you want to work your fingers into the outside of your leg a few inches below the hip when you feel it coming on, which will help loosen it up enough to stop annoying your knee. 

* Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor and if you end up in a wheelchair it's pretty much your own fault ;)

Did the stretch ......jaysus it was some job to get the leg that high anyways that and another stretch brought almost instant relief ...will reduce my miles for the next few weeks see how we go 

Â