Match Thread: Crystal Palace v Villa

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Yeah I hope so. Just a slight worry. 

Conceding goals and not winning games is becoming the standard as we end the year. 

We played well above expectations for 50% of the year, just about above in the next quarter and now, we are down to the bare bones, with our main objective realised. That's why. It's fine.

• Like 1

Just now, Leeroy said:

I never like seeing us lose and defend pathetically. It’s a nothing game but Liverpool have got nothing to play for against wolves and still turn up.

Difference between us and serial winners I guess.

Liverpool have a good quality squad. We have 11-13 good players and the rest just place holders. That'll take some time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

That’s what getting a really good manager in can do (Glasner). Much like Watkins and Emery actually.

True although the turnaround has been instant in Mateta’s case. Ollie took a few months after Unai arrived.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Leeroy said:

I never like seeing us lose and defend pathetically. It’s a nothing game but Liverpool have got nothing to play for against wolves and still turn up.

lol. Difference between the two is clearly injuries.

Yeah we need to lose that attitude too. Showed it to.much this season especially in Europe 

1 minute ago, NorthEastVillan said:

Think all this game shows it something we've known all season. Outside our first XI, who can give anyone a game, we're lacking any serious quality. That'll come with time and a few windows to build a quality Emery squad.

Would have been nice to sign off with a win but it was always a big ask for these players.

Yet today there’s nothing to play for… we done we completed the season. Look at how we player, little intensity at all. 

this game is showing nothing accurate 

2 minutes ago, est1874 said:

We asked the same thing last season and the likes of Olsen and Chambers are still here.

Apart from Young and Sanson (whom you could argue we should have kept) we actually didn't really get rid of any dead wood last year. 

How many games did Olsen and Chambers play this season?  They aren't going to be starting the first match of next season.  I think it is patently obvious to everyone that outside our first sixteen, there is then a big drop off.  We will have the chance to address that over the summer through players returning from injury and some decent signings.  Having four major players out for almost an entire season at the same time is hopefully something that we will not have to cope with again.

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Recent form table last 6

Clicky

Screenshot_20240519_170524_Chrome.jpg

'Disastrous end of season form', and we're still higher than Man U 😂🤣😆

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Aston_Villan4 said:

lol. Difference between the two is clearly injuries.

And us playing a more in form team

And them having something massive to play for even if it's not a league position, Liverpool can't lose today, it'll ruin the cry-wanks

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Well for a match that doesn't matter, playing with the bare bones of the team, after winning a place in Europe

Why are so many posts so pessimistic. Come on sod the result, the only result we want is for Ollie to score 

This. There's how ever many villa fans at Palace having the time of their life today.

Post mortem will happen and changes will be made before next season. We've been incredible. 

UTV! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Should we? Aren't Crystal Palace in far better form than us? 

And they've got something to play for when we haven't? 

We have… not losing 10 or more games in the season for the first time in god knows how long. Finishing on 70+ points. Getting back to winning ways after a disappointing final few games… when was our last win in the league? Can’t even remember. Chance to get Ollie to 20 goals. Chance to give the travelling fans something… 

Lots to play for really. 

True although the turnaround has been instant in Mateta’s case. Ollie took a few months after Unai arrived.

That’s right. But Glasner’s effective high pressing style leads to a lot of high turnovers and great chances for Mateta, so no surprise it’s had such a quick effect for them/him.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Farlz said:

I don't care what happens today obviously but I will say defensively we have been dreadful all season. A serious weak point for us. I do hope that gets addressed over the summer/next season because we can't be shipping 60 odd goals ffs. 

Just to point this out again… The only teams defensively better than Villa this season have been the three teams above us in the league and Everton. 

Yes we can get better, but we’ve been pretty good, especially with our injuries and having to mix up the defence game to game. 

Edited by ender4
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

'Disastrous end of season form', and we're still higher than Man U 😂🤣😆

They are not really a team to compare too anymore.

If we are gonna kick on, these are the sort if games we need to be be winning. Even if we have nothing to play for, a win would speak volumes for our mentality.