I wonder if Kessler Hayden is an option for this game. He’s fairly good going forward from what I’ve seen and Konsa isn’t an attacking right back. 

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

I think he will need to throw in a couple of kids to freshen things up. You need energy to win games. 

No chance we are going to play any youngsters in an away European semi final where we are 2 goals down. He will play our First XI in this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GlobalVillan said:

Should "we"?

I can't force myself to believe something I don't. Belief isnt a choice.

You either believe something to be true, or you don't.  

In this case, I dont believe we will win the tie. 

Do you believe we should try? 

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Do you believe we should try? 

We will never not try. Even a reserve side will try, just as they did at Man C115y.

I just don't thinks there is any realistic chance of going through, regardless who we put out, given all the reasons I mentioned.

Edit: Regardless of the fact they lost a couple of games 2 months ago against opposition who weren't living on fumes after a terribly long season.

Edited by GlobalVillan

Posted (edited)

I don't think Emery will "send the kids", but I do think there's a chance he rotates heavily.

We'll still be trying to win the game, but I think it's very possible that after losing the first leg, and the results against Brighton, that Emery will want to make absolute certain of Champions League qualification and rest players to help that. The central midfield especially.

I don't like it, and I'd be disappointed if we don't go for this, but it's certainly a scenario I can see happening

Edited by Stevo985
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't think Emery will "send the kids", but I do think there's a chance he rotates heavily.

We'll still be trying to win the game, but I think it's very possible that after losing the first leg, and the results against Brighton, that Emery will want to make absolute certain of Champions League qualification and rest players to help that. The central midfield especially.

I don't like it, and I'd be disappointed if we don't go for this, but it's certainly a scenario I can see happening

I suppose it's possible, but sincerely hope not. This is not a time to rotate. Just a couple games left.

The only acceptable reason to rotate would be if Unai thought we needed more energy to win the game, like @PaulC said. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Think Villa will play their strongest team available whatever that is as they have to score first. Tills, Zanilo and Martinez have already had a rest due to injury so they'll play if available.

Do not want to see Konsa at FB again. Villa are much better with his pace in the centre.

Moreno may also get a game?

That would certainly freshen things up a bit!

Looking forward (if available) to see how Martinez baits the crowd. 😆

Edited by striker

I've been feeling very pessimistic about this until my old man's best mate (an Everton fan, so used to pessimism!) said about Thursday: "it's only half time and you're 2-0 down, and the second half is at least 90 minutes long."

• Like 1

Hopefully Tielemans is back and we can go with a more balanced side allowing us not to be over run in midfield.

Stating the obvious but the most important thing to do on Thursday is score first. If we do, even if it doesn't come until 80 minutes, then it is game on.

The odds are stacked against us in not just the scoreline but also in Olympiacos having had a week's rest. Stranger things have happened though and I have a feeling we may just pull this off and go through.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

Nice fella. Hope Emery sees that...

I must admit Villa have been on the wrong end of some crazy refereeing decisions in this Conference League which will make it almost impossible to get a big win.

However if we can manage the game better there is no reason why we cannot win the game by two goals. Villa are a much better team, now is the time to prove it.

CAN we win this by 2+ goals? Yes, of course we can - we are more than capable, based on 18 months worth of performances. Olympiakos lost 4-1 at home to Maccabi Tel Aviv 2 months ago - they're capable of getting thumped at home when expected to win. 

They seem to think this tie is done - their celebrations after the game last week and their fans on Twitter all smack of thinking this is over. It isn't. We came from 2 down in the first game in, what, 15 minutes or so. We can do the same again over 90. If we get the first goal, they'll panic. Patience might be our key - we dont need to score in the first half, but we might need to be 1 up with 20 minutes or so to get another.

WILL we do it? Personally I don't think so, we look spent. They'll kill the game and make us run after them knowing we need to score twice. I don't think we've got the legs to chase a game.

Fitness doubts aside, I'd go;

Martinez

Cash.      Konsa.      Torres.      Moreno.

McGinn.   Tielemans.   Luiz.      Rogers.

Diaby.       Watkins. 

Go strong as possible and try to get an important early goal. If we concede and the game goes further away from us, make lots of changes and conserve as much energy as possible for Liverpool.

(I assume Rogers will be out, so probably Bailey/Zaniolo, Tim for Youri if he's out too).

If all the players produce an 8/10, we turn this around, can we? UTV

• Like 2