Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Olympiakos

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

Match Polls  

202 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

What a strange game! You could have rolled 2 die and got the result, it could have been anything up to 6-6!😀

I have not seen any replays yet but there did seem to be some strange decisions and Olympiakos certainly had the rub of the green.

The penalty took the wind out of our sails, coming so soon after we equalised. Can't recall seeing so much confusion around a penalty decision.

the game was the usual mixed bag we have seen over recent weeks. Some good and some bad. Probably down to the fact that the team is virtually picking itself. McGinn seems to be the only creative spark other than the wingers. He his carrying a big load whilst Dougie is not at his early season level, he is certainly missing Tielemans next to him.

I do love Konsa but there are times when he can kill any forward momentum when he is playing like today. Strange given that most of our attacking threat is playing in front of him on the right.

Having said all that, the tie ain't over year, despite Dougie's penalty miss. We get the first goal and its game on!

Come on Villa, a last big effort only 4 or 5 games left.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

If we get the first goal in Greece, I think they will sh*t themselves.

We are the better team and with Torres-Konsa-Martinez we can beat them. We were very dangerous tonight imo but were on an off-day, not helped by the referee.

Confident we can turn this around.

UTFV

If you think the ref was bad at home, wait until we play in Greece 😅

I tell you what I'd like to see on penalties.

The ref gives the penalty, allows a few seconds for everyone to realise the he has, then he recovers the ball and puts it on the spot - he blows his whistle to let people know the ball is now on the spot, gives everyone around ten seconds, then blows his whistle again - at that point, the penalty taker should be able to take it.

Goalkeeper off having a drink when it goes in? Tough shit.

Three players in the box when the penalty taker scores? Tough shit.

Penalty missed but two players still in the box - penalty taker gets to re-take it, players in the box booked if the ref thinks they're time-wasting.

Exactly the same rules we have now on what is and isn't an offence, but with the advantage given to the penalty taker - the defensive team can only really delay it by putting players between the ball and the goal and even then, the taker gets what becomes a free shot at getting it past them, knowing he'll get another go if they block it.

It'd stop all this gubbins we have at the moment in a heartbeat - if the penalty taker is ready he can take it, if it doesn't go in it gets re-taken if there is an offence (including the defensive team still having players in the box) they'd clear out of there sharp enough under those conditions.

Simple.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, T-Dog said:

Diaby - MOTM? Absolutely no way. Took his goal well, every other touch he looked like he was playing in flip flops. 

Gotta be Cashy or Rogers for me. 

agree re Diaby, i made votes for manager performance and referee performance and left the player motm blank as i'm struggling to get a m otm player but it's a required field so went for Cash.

far too many poor performances out there tonight.

Diaby goal yes but what else?

McGuinn very poor

Luiz, a right bollocking on the touchline from Unia, but summed up by giving a penalty away and then missing one. Poor all round.

Konsa was awful at the back and on that sort of showing has no chance of going to the Euros.

I get we are at the bare bones, but this is a semi final and I think Unia got it wrong tonight, too late with the subs. I'm also noth convinced that playing Diably and Bailey together works for us. We lacked balance.

Very disappointed to say the least.

Sunday will be very interesting. Given that if we beat Brighton and Spurs lose to Liverpoll the 4th is all but ours. It would mean we could go gung ho in Athens and they are as good at the back as we are. 

3 minutes ago, imavillan said:

agree re Diaby, i made votes for manager performance and referee performance and left the player motm blank as i'm struggling to get a m otm player but it's a required field so went for Cash.

far too many poor performances out there tonight.

Diaby goal yes but what else?

McGuinn very poor

Luiz, a right bollocking on the touchline from Unia, but summed up by giving a penalty away and then missing one. Poor all round.

Konsa was awful at the back and on that sort of showing has no chance of going to the Euros.

I get we are at the bare bones, but this is a semi final and I think Unia got it wrong tonight, too late with the subs. I'm also noth convinced that playing Diably and Bailey together works for us. We lacked balance.

Very disappointed to say the least.

Sunday will be very interesting. Given that if we beat Brighton and Spurs lose to Liverpoll the 4th is all but ours. It would mean we could go gung ho in Athens and they are as good at the back as we are. 

Iff these two events happen then we are 10 points ahead of spuds and they have 3 games left... 100% confirmed in 4th....

• Like 1

Awful, practically to a man. There was different levels but no one played 'well', all were different percentages of below their best.

Luiz stands out for all the wrong reasons. He's been horrific lately and don't think it's a coincidence that our best two performances were without him. If we had any players left, I'd be dropping him. Also maintain that for all the hype around him, I'd sell him in a heartbeat for anything like the fees banded around. His level of swagger rarely matches his actual ability and never his effort.

When you've got Olsen in goal, you don't need to confuse matters further by putting Lenglet in.

Diaby would be an expert hurdler if football doesn't work out, spends most of the time jumping out of any battle.

The passing today was terrible. The ball retention was laughable. Too many players not quick enough to react to loose balls or getting caught on it. 

Brentford, Lille (both games), Chelsea and today - we're miles off the boil lately. We're not showing any evidence we can turn this around.

Just thankful Spurs aren't taking advantage in the league.

Luiz had his worst game ever, Konsa not far off. McGinn, Cash, Digne all well below par. Olsen isn't good, so maybe that's just his best! Watkins tried to make things work, Bailey instigated ever promising move. Diaby and Rodgers too slow, weak and made bad decisions. Subs were too late and pointless.

Blown chance to win a cup. We needed to go to Greece with a healthy lead with what it'll be like over there, this leg has killed us now.

So disappointing. 

1 minute ago, ben1505 said:

Iff these two events happen then we are 10 points ahead of spuds and they have 3 games left... 100% confirmed in 4th....

If Liverpool beat Spurs, given the goal difference - it's very unlikely we'd need another point.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I tell you what I'd like to see on penalties.

The ref gives the penalty, allows a few seconds for everyone to realise, recovers the ball and puts it on the spot - he then blows his whistle to let people know the ball is now on the spot - gives everyone about ten seconds, then blows his whistle again - at that point, the penalty taker should be able to take it.

Goalkeeper off having a drink when it goes in? Tough shit.

Three players in the box when the penalty taker scores? Tough shit.

Penalty missed but two players still in the box - penalty taker gets to re-take it, players in the box booked if the ref thinks they're time-wasting.

Exactly the same rules we have now on what is and isn't an offence, but with the advantage given to the penalty taker - the defensive team can only really delay it by putting players between the ball and the goal and even then, the taker gets what becomes a free shot at getting it past them, knowing he'll get another go if they block it.

It'd stop all this gubbins we have at the moment in a heartbeat - if the penalty taker is ready he can take it, if it doesn't go in it gets re-taken if there is an offence (including the defensive team still having players in the box) they'd clear out of there sharp enough under those conditions.

Simple.

I get the sentiment but it's far easier said than done OBE

when Emi does it we are more than happy and we call it great shithousery

Players miss penalties, goalkeepers save penalties. The so called dark arts, mind games etc are all part of it for me and all add to the excitement.

It's up to the penalty taker to remain focussed, we could see that Dougie wasn't as he looked back behind him to see what was going on with all the melee and the ref trying to sort it out.

They won the mind games this time.

• Like 2

Any danger of both Martinez and Tielemans being fit for the 2nd game? Even if they're 80%, I'd still wrap them up in bandages and get them on there....

Olympiacos were so well drilled, they certainly had done their homework. Forward and midfielders pressed so well stopping our passing channels, but still kept an excellent shape defensively. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, spiezels said:

Martinez saves 2 of those. 

Yes. I don't quite subscribe to the standard view every goal Olsen lets in Emi could save in his sleep. However the second would be textbook Martinez save on a one on one I think, just getting his body to block the shot and keep it out. Fourth took a horrible deflection but it was still very close to Olsen and you feel Emi would've twisted his body quicker and deflected it away.

The night started off the wrong way when I found that my last train back would be  cancelled so had to drive up which I'd rather not do.

Then the line up with Lenglet in and Torres on the bench. Look it could have worked and Emery is paid to make the big decisions, but two major changes in the back five instead of one for a European semi final? 

Our spine wasn't fully up to strength and it showed. Really missed Tielmans or previously Kamara in the middle. McGinn and Luiz looked two tired players tonight and combined with the changes at the back we looked all over the place.

Olympiakos looked decent but they got some luck as well. 4 goals from 5 shots on target.  We get it to 2-2 but the pen killed us. And the fourth was a utter fluke, and Luiz missing our penalty takes the biscuit. That will be burnt on  my retina for quite  a while.

So, so disappointing. Yes I probably sound like  a spoilt brat wanting more, but this was  such a chance to get through. It feels like another to add to the long line of missed Villa opportunities in cups down the years like Bolton or Bradford.

We could still turn it round but it feels a bit grasping at straws.  Feeling tired and flat after this. It's going to hurt this one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, imavillan said:

so, nothing to do with the midfield letting them get through?

nothing to do with the defence not defending?

nothing to do with Luiz giving a penalty away?

nothing to do with Luiz missing a penalty?

nothing to do with our passive play that let them get at us?

come on GC....we all get you do not like Olsen, we really do...but to put 90% of the blame on him is really nonsense

when we attacked them we were good and they were vulnerable, but we did't do it enough...it's when we sat back was the problem as it gave them the initiative.

It would have been no different with Emi in goal. The 10 players in front of Olsen and how we approached the game was the problem and not Olsen.

Mental opinion

Â