Pre-Match Thread - Cup Final 8 of 10

imavillan

28 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

I hope Emi back but I can’t see us risking him. Same with Youri. 

We are going to struggle if Brighton show up like they can. They will be fresh and their fans will expect to see something. 

We have to start with our strongest back line to help Olsen. 

Olsen

Konsa Carlos Pau Digne

McGinn Luiz Diaby

Bailey Olly Rodgers

Might even be a game to put Tim in the middle alongside Luiz and McGinn. 

They haven't bothered showing up most of this season, 1 win in last 9 games.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, duke313 said:

They haven't bothered showing up most of this season, 1 win in last 9 games.

In a way that makes me more nervous. Brentford were in a hole when we played them too. Still pulled 3 goals in 10 mins against us. 

7 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

In a way that makes me more nervous. Brentford were in a hole when we played them too. Still pulled 3 goals in 10 mins against us. 

Different circumstances.  Brentford where just above relegation zone when they played us, only 6 points off Luton.

Brighton's season is over, more or less and we're a bogey team for them.

Enciso is back for them and he loves a long range shot.

Were terrible when it comes to conceding long range shots.

Please for the love of god close him down...

• Like 1

One thing's for sure, their backline can't handle Ollie at all. He has a ridiculous scoring record v them and always gives Dunk and co the run around.

The sole tactic I think will be SJM and others hitting quick passes into the corner for him to run onto and make things happen. Surely the game where we finally have a Villa striker scoring 20 league goals in the top flight.

• Like 1

Need to find a way of protecting McGinn and Luiz a little, whether that’s a tweak in formation or a change of personnel? Tielemans is the one really, but can’t see us risking him just yet. Iroegbunam or Zaniolo could help here and give us more presence but we can’t continue with two in the middle and effectively four further forward. It’s killing us and preventing any chance of a clean sheet. One or two of Bailey, Diaby or Rogers to have a rest maybe?

A Martinez return would of course be massive but again, will we risk him before next Thursday? Possibly we will if he only felt some tightness last weekend? No idea if Moreno is progressing well and back in the squad?

We can certainly beat these and put further pressure on Spurs, who really need to get something at Anfield to stop their run of defeats.

…………...…...Martinez?………………..

Konsa…..Carlos……Pau…..Digne

………….McGinn……..Luiz……….

Bailey..….….Rogers……..Zaniolo

………………..…Watkins….……………..

Or

…………….….Martinez?……………….

Cash……Konsa……Pau…..Digne

……….Iroegbunum……..Luiz……….

Bailey..…….McGinn……..Zaniolo

………………..…Watkins….……………….

Or

………….….…..Martinez?………………

..…Konsa…….Carlos…….Pau……

Cash…..McGinn…..Luiz……Digne

…………….…Zaniolo….……………

…….…..Bailey………Watkins………..

Going to say a 1-2 win, Watkins to score and secure his 20 league goals and Spurs to lose at Anfield by the same score, securing 4th place for us and our Champions League spot.  What a season it’s been so far. UTV 

Our midfield is the problem with just Luiz and Mcginn. I'm not sure what we can do about that.  Players like Rogers and Diaby if picked are going to have to give plenty of support. What we need is control In this game. Keep it tight and take our chances when they come. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Farlz said:

We're a bit up and down lately but there can't be any excuses for not beating these 

Pascal Gross can play anywhere but their midfield is a real downgrade on what they had 12 months ago. Guessing it will be Gilmour, Baleba and Gross so pretty lightweight.

48 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Pascal Gross can play anywhere but their midfield is a real downgrade on what they had 12 months ago. Guessing it will be Gilmour, Baleba and Gross so pretty lightweight.

Then I saw her face.... now I'm a 

Wont happen, but I wondered last night if we'd take advantage of having an advantage over Spurs and rest some players for this ahead of the 2nd leg - I think quite a few would benefit from a week between games.

Olsen

Konsa, Carlos, Torres, Munroe

Iroegbunam Luiz

Diaby Rodgers Zaniolo

Duran

Gives Digne, McGinn, Bailey and Watkins a rest, whilst taking no chances with Martinez and Tielemans.

• Haha 1

We have to go full strength. Not going full strength on Thursday really cost us. There’s only a few games to go and reasonable space between each. Villa have to go full bore until we have achieved our goals. Absolutely no excuses. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ben1505 said:

I think we’ll either win, lose or draw this… you heard it here first…

Hard not to concur with that insightful post Ben!! 🤣