Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

limpid

Match Polls  

197 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

Chelsea pressed really well but we barely strung 2 passes together. Possibly Luiz worst performance in a Villa shirt but most were below average. I expected a different Villa to come out in the second half but it was just more of the same 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Not sure why we do the sit back thingy after scoring, never works. We are an attacking team, the opposition always find it harder to get by when we are passing it about attacking. Defending it not one of our best tactics, an we seem to always fall foul of it.

Plenty of times we have sat back and looked comfortable whilst hitting teams on the break. Let's be honest, aside from them hitting the post, for all their possession, they never looked like scoring in the first - half. For some reason, Emi's absence maybe, we seemed to lose confidence in ourselves, especially defensively and invited Chelsea to gain all the momentum. Not closing down opponents in dangerous areas is always going to create problems and that's exactly what happened in that second  - half. 

Just now, AVTuco said:

Ridiculous claim.

Is it?

Emi is quite obviously a far superior goalkeeper than Olsen…

His reaction saves are second to none…

Who would you rather in goal facing a shot like that and trust to save it?

Emi? Or Olsen?

6 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Just watched the Gallagher goal. What the hell was Tim doing backing off but standing so far away from the ball?

Pace of the game was too much for him when he came on, miles off being a top level prem player. Think he'll be getting the Archer/JPB treatment this summer.

• Like 1

Just now, TomC said:

Palmer was next to him and made the slightest of feints that made him worry that Gallagher would play the ball through to him behind Tim, so Tim hesitated. However, Pau would have had Palmer easily. Tim was playing midfield; he's got to let his backline worry about this. It was a definite mistake by a young player not fully used to the system.

It's as simple as this;

If you let most premier league quality players have 5/6 seconds on the edge of your 18 yard box and don't close them down, they'll probably score. He was closest to the ball, so he should have pressured.

I've been saying for months now, he's another Isiah Osbourne.  

He'll tumble down to the championship where he can hide in games and get away with it.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

? Their 1st goal when we were playing it out from the back ?

The 2nd goal caught in no man's land ?

The disallowed goal where he was yet again out of position causing all kinds of panic ? 

His 'save' with his arm looked more like he was calling for offside than trying to save it, he was gash and spread panic in the defence, as he 95% of the time does.

I was going to go into an articulated breakdown to describe your post but it can easily be summed up in 2 words.....

Utter nonsense!

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I've been wanting him to get minutes since he was back, but yeah, it was poor, and I suspect he'll be gone in the summer if we can find a buyer. Came on, gave away a bunch of unnecessary fouls, hid from the shot.

More pissed off at Luiz for forcing his own substitution though, absolutely brainless at times.

Luiz, starting to believe his own hype. Far from the complete midfielder, and it showed today.

I feel like I need to preface this by saying that 7 points out of 9 from Bournemouth, Arsenal and Chelsea is a good return, and I'm sure if we swapped the Chelsea & Arsenal results we'd be pretty happy. Still in a strong position for 4th and still riding high after what's been a fabulous season.

But **** hell that was bloody awful. Why is it that we seem to look so much worse when we have a full week (almost) to prepare? I don't understand what the game plan was at all. I get that there's times where you stand off a bit and let them have the ball, especially if they're not looking like really doing anything with it and we can catch them on the break, but even when Chelsea looked dangerous and it was inevitable that they were going to do something we STILL stood off them. No pressure at all. Just gave them the ball back time and time again and stood back.

Also....playing out from the back. I absolutely get that it's part of how we play and we've done great things by sticking with it in the past, but there's a time and place for it, and there's times when you simply have to get the ball out quicker. We got caught out today and conceded a goal that was absolutely avoidable. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ianifratti said:

Chelsea pressed really well but we barely strung 2 passes together. Possibly Luiz worst performance in a Villa shirt but most were below average. I expected a different Villa to come out in the second half but it was just more of the same 

He's been rubbish for a while. I'm not surprised we won the two games he was suspended for. 

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

As much as everyone thinks we’ve bottled it. It feels different to the other times because we didn’t deserve to be 2-0 up in the first place. It wasn’t like Brentford where we played well and had a mad 9 minutes. We were rubbish for 90 but fortunately managed to get a couple of goals. I feel relieved we got the draw tbh.

What annoys me is that we don’t seem to have the ability to cope with these physical pressing teams, we don’t learn or adapt. 

I say this not entirely tongue in cheek when it feels like progress when we play one of the "Big 6 (TM)" and we play abysmally, but sneak a draw, as opposed to our old habit of occasionally playing well, but collapsing to a late draw or defeat. 

There's  not loads of positives to come out of this particular game, but one is that Chelsea fans must undoubtedly feel pretty sick after not winning  that, and even sicker when they miss out on European football again. 

Edited by one_ian_taylor

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

Don Unai has beaten Man City , Arsenal x 2 , Brighton, and other teams that are high pressing. Chelsea and Newcastle are counter pressing. 

Eh? Man City are not a high pressing team, neither are Brighton, they are teams who like to dominate possession but they don’t really press. Arsenal are to an extent but not the aggressive high press like Newcastle, Liverpool, Chelsea and Tottenham who have all got the better of us this season. 

We are a work in progress whether we finish top 4 or not and we have to learn to deal with these types of teams next season because tonight was such a one sided game when we really should have been taking the game to them given we were at home and about 20 points better off than the opposition.

• Haha 1

Problem today was at 2-0 or even 2-1 we needed to take the sting out of the game. Chelsea had their tails up and we just needed to slow it down...

So what do we do? Give the ball away 5 times in a row (I counted 😂) by passing an aimless long ball to Ollie and losing possession. 

I'm sorry but if our players don't realise after the 3rd time it was inviting pressure they really need some work in the classroom. 

That's the difference with teams who close out games.they keep it, buy cheap fouls and deny the opposition  head of steam.

Poor poor play and could have been avoided.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

It's as simple as this;

If you let most premier league quality players have 5/6 seconds on the edge of your 18 yard box and don't close them down, they'll probably score. He was closest to the ball, so he should have pressured.

I've been saying for months now, he's another Isiah Osbourne.  

He'll tumble down to the championship where he can hide in games and get away with it.

I agree with you. I was just explaining why he made the mistake; it was a mistake.

• Like 1

High pressing physical sides are emery's achilles heal. They fully deserved to win that tonight, we were lucky to get a point.

However good sides get a point when they should lose, and a point could make the difference with spurs run in.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Ridiculous claim.

Go on…

Tell me that you had full faith and confidence that we could go on to win the game as soon as you knew Emi was off and Olsen was on…

The collective sound of every bum hole of every Villa fan around the country tightened at the news…

And that’s not because we didn’t want him to do well…

but because we knew he wasn’t as reliable as Emi…

facts are facts…

Â