• Rogers (Zaniolo 28)
    • Bailey (Diaby 68)
    • Durán (McGinn 80)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Lille fan said:

well..... too disgusted by the outcome to say anything more ! football can be so cruel...

good luck with the end of the season in C4 and especially in premier league and hopefull we'll meet again in Champions league next year !

A lot of respect for this post mate, It must be tough to be on the other end of that result. See you in CL next season!

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, andym said:

Worth noting that since the end of the  international break, which was only 3 weeks ago, we've played 4 league games compared to Lille's 2, and their games were both at home. We've had trips to Man City and Arsenal.

Their domestic schedule will have benefitted them in terms of fitness and freshness, ours the opposite.

So we've done well to grind it out.

And whatever you think of the French league, they’ll be in the CL next year - so that’s the standard of at least some of the sides we are hoping to face in it.

The spectacle of it all. European madness, I love it.

Tough luck for Lille, who were the better team across the 2 legs, but Villa didn't quit and when it went to penalties the match was won, because we have the world's supreme goalkeeper and its a joy to behold.

Bonkers game. Many talking points to keep us occupied until Sunday. 

No rest for the weary--

Up the Villa

• Like 2

The handbags between Unai and Fonseca were another batshit moment in this game. I have no idea why the ref needed to insert himself into that.

Despite his crucial role in Aston Villa's victory, Martinez's celebration was short-lived. The accumulation of three yellow cards over the two legs of the quarter-finals triggered a mandatory one-match suspension.

Read this online.. is this true?

34 minutes ago, ben1505 said:

Despite his crucial role in Aston Villa's victory, Martinez's celebration was short-lived. The accumulation of three yellow cards over the two legs of the quarter-finals triggered a mandatory one-match suspension.

Read this online.. is this true?

No

• Haha 1

We won the tie, drew the game on aggregate and lost the game on the night. And our keeper got two yellows and stayed on the pitch. Football is pretty weird sometimes! 

13 minutes ago, Khizzy said:

We won the tie, drew the game on aggregate and lost the game on the night. And our keeper got two yellows and stayed on the pitch. Football is pretty weird sometimes! 

And our coach, the most lovely , respectful, polite man IN THE WHOLE WORLD, got booked for having a go at Fonseca. Didn’t ever expect to see that.

Just now, mjmooney said:

The narrative seems to be that Lille (home side, after a week off) played us off the park, we were terrible, and we were lucky to scrape through on penalties. But look at the match stats. Under the circumstances, that's not too shabby at all: 

Screenshot_2024-04-19-08-03-17-58_4e3a4e884d35a3e473eec66b07ef8cea.jpg

Spot on.

Part of me thinks we deliberately took our foot off the gas a bit.

The referee made me hanker for Mike Dean.  He was one of the worst I've ever seen, I don't think there was really a bad tackle in the whole match yet he was flashing cards around like a vegas dealer.

He even delayed our moment of joy after the save by putting his hand in the air and making everyone wait, wanting all the attention after if finished.  Absolute clown.

• Thanks 1

Â