Pre-match thread - Cup Final 4 of 10

ender4

We got to have the advantage here in that we rested players against Man City whereas Brentford didn't midweek. I can't see them having the same intensity they showed against a very poor man u team.  Having McGinn back too fresh is massive. 

1 hour ago, ben1505 said:

Glad to hear that thug Mee isn’t playing. 

So is Villa’s insurance company 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I always thought xG was a bit odd but I’ve totally ignored it since we had almost identical xG to Brighton after destroying them 6-1. I’ve no idea how it’s calculated and I couldn’t care less. It’s a ridiculous tool that gets far too much attention. If we don’t win tomorrow, it won’t be because our xG data is painting a picture. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Leeroy said:

Hah, says you. Never known anyone so negative on the transfer threads, I personally think you shouldn't be allowed to comment on them given you try to dismiss every single speculation there is. 

I would say I'm more realistic than negative but you think that if it makes you happy buddy. 

If we're linked to +100 players in one window calling majority of rumours made up bullshit is not negative it's just being awake to obvious click bait.  

Not the same as constantly bitching about manager, selections, lack of signings, how we're doomed like you constantly do. 

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 2

Let's put them on the backfoot straight away and dictate the game there in poor form so no excuses it won't be easy through. Solid , compact and no stupid goals to concede.

4 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

If we're linked to +100 players in one window calling majority of rumours made up bullshit is not negative it's just being awake to obvious click bait.  

Not the same as constantly bitching about manager, selections, lack of signings, how we're doomed like you constantly do. 

Leeroy and Kiwivillan cut the bickering and keep to Brentford thread - or set up a new one. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

I always thought xG was a bit odd but I’ve totally ignored it since we had almost identical xG to Brighton after destroying them 6-1. I’ve no idea how it’s calculated and I couldn’t care less. It’s a ridiculous tool that gets far too much attention. If we don’t win tomorrow, it won’t be because our xG data is painting a picture. 

I agree, it’s just one metric that gains a massive amount of attention. The only stat that matters is actual goals!

I think it’s part of the Americanisation of everything. Like in NFL, which is a mass of stats which generally do predict the outcome. In football though, you can have 80% possession, 4 xG, and still lose…

Interesting to see the clubs official post about today’s match. this would suggest to me the Duran will be playing and not Watkins. Might be miles off of course but there’s no Watkins in the picture. 

Just remembered our last match against them was a thug fest! If ollie isn't 100% then he's better off on the bench- if at all. Let's hope we end the match with 11. 

11- 0 that is. 

My sons 1st villa match was Brentford at home, we won 4-0. We are going again today for which will be his 3rd (the other being sheff United at home but I'm trying to erase that one!) 

I think it will be a villa win today. 

• Like 1

No place for factoring in all the recent history, another team we haven't got the best record against and all that but ultimately for a team chasing the top 4 we should be picking up 3 points against the sides in the bottom half.

Hook or crook I'm not bothered. 3 points please.

• Like 2

Really important game and with a tough set of fixtures left this looks one of the, on paper, more winnable matches.

Think it will be a close game but hope we can do enough to get over the line with home advantage.

2-1 Villa. UTV!

16 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

No place for factoring in all the recent history, another team we haven't got the best record against and all that but ultimately for a team chasing the top 4 we should be picking up 3 points against the sides in the bottom half.

Hook or crook I'm not bothered. 3 points please.

It's incredible they haven't won at Villa Park in their history. I suppose they haven't been regular fixtures over the years. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

And they haven't managed to put the same maps on the official site in the article linked to. That's pretty incompetent and isolates people that don't use Elon's dumpster fire.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turvontour said:

It's incredible they haven't won at Villa Park in their history. I suppose they haven't been regular fixtures over the years. 

Now why would  you say that before the match?

• Like 2