Pre-match thread - Cup Final 4 of 10

ender4

4 hours ago, Leeroy said:

Our XG has been worse than our opponents in our previous five games and three of them were against Luton, Wolves and West Ham.

We not only need to win this one but actually put in a good performance. We aren’t playing like a team in the top 4/5 at the moment whilst spurs are, so whilst we’ll almost certainly finish in the top 5 I think it will be 5th rather than 4th unless we start playing like we were earlier in the season.

And we can’t use injuries as the reason as in two of those five games (Luton and Wolves) the opponent had just as bad injuries as we do if not worse.

XG is only one indicator of how a game went. Are you really suggesting that Wolves and Luton played better than us? We should have been well out of sight against Luton in the first half and Wolves had two notable chances (which accounted for most of their xG) in the entire game. You could argue that it's been a while since we played well for the entire 90 minutes, but we have been the better team overall in most of the recent games against lesser opposition (Fulham, Forest, Luton, Wolves etc.) 
As for Spurs playing like a top 4/5 team while we're not, we're exactly the same in the form table (10 pts from the last 6 games). And didn't they lose pathetically to Fulham recently and fail to beat West Ham? They only took 4 points from those teams this season whereas we've taken 10. Also, their next 6 games are tougher than ours I would argue, so if they're above us after that then fair dos.

Edited by oishiiniku_uk

Posted (edited)

Ramsey is out for the season according to Emery which is another blow but EMI, Watkins and McGinn back will be welcome.

Tough game tomorrow though and it was bad tempered at Brentford so Villa will need to be on it from the start!

Edited by striker

2 hours ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

XG is only one indicator of how a game went. Are you really suggesting that Wolves and Luton played better than us? We should have been well out of sight against Luton in the first half and Wolves had two notable chances (which accounted for most of their xG) in the entire game. You could argue that it's been a while since we played well for the entire 90 minutes, but we have been the better team overall in most of the recent games against lesser opposition (Fulham, Forest, Luton, Wolves etc.) 
As for Spurs playing like a top 4/5 team while we're not, we're exactly the same in the form table (10 pts from the last 6 games). And didn't they lose pathetically to Fulham recently and fail to beat West Ham? They only took 4 points from those teams this season whereas we've taken 10. Also, their next 6 games are tougher than ours I would argue, so if they're above us after that then fair dos.

I think Luton were very unlucky not to take at least a point and yes I believe Wolves looked the better side than us for large periods of last weekend's games. XG doesn't tell the whole story but it is usually very accurate.

Go and watch the games back then come and try to convince me again that we were the much better side in both, or even the better side, we weren't.

7 hours ago, PieFacE said:

I couldn't disagree more with this. We need to win. The 3 points are all that matters at this stage of the season. Couldn't care if it's achieved by a wonderful performance or a scrappy last minute own goal.

It's alright, very few people agree with me on here recently, seems it's me against everyone else most of the time, I'm probably best off debating with a brick wall. 

7 hours ago, Leeroy said:

Our XG has been worse than our opponents in our previous five games and three of them were against Luton, Wolves and West Ham.

We not only need to win this one but actually put in a good performance. We aren’t playing like a team in the top 4/5 at the moment whilst spurs are, so whilst we’ll almost certainly finish in the top 5 I think it will be 5th rather than 4th unless we start playing like we were earlier in the season.

And we can’t use injuries as the reason as in two of those five games (Luton and Wolves) the opponent had just as bad injuries as we do if not worse.

Can’t agree that Spurs are playing better than us.  Yes they are better on the eye but underneath that they have been worse than us.  They are what I call a ‘highlights clip team’ where if you only see the highlights you go “wow” but you look under the bonnet over 90 minutes and there are some serious flaws and they certainly have no Plan B if Plan A isn’t working.  Why people thinking we are a lot worse is our stinker of a game against them, which it was but doesn’t negate the rest of it.

xG is the worse stat in recent times to raise its head, as somebody said if Duran had headed Konsa’s cross instead of it going straight in the xG on that would’ve been huge compared to xG Konsa actually got and Wolves xG is primarily for Ait-Nouri’s chance.  That all doesn’t mean Wolves were better than us, I thought it was fairly comfortable for us overall.

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I think it’s because you’re expecting us to be City or Liverpool at the moment mate.  We aren’t at that level and neither are Spurs hence why we never quite get there this season.  With the extra bits you keep saying and we’d be up there with the three teams.  We’ve done exceptionally well to be where we are.  The next step is competing with those teams if we ever can but that’s going to take more of something whatever that is.  Three points is all that matters tomorrow and any great performance would be a bonus.  Spurs can have their great performance but lose or pick up draws for all I care.

I'm not expecting us to be City or Liverpool Nick, I know we're a way off that level, and I appreciate we've had some injuries, but so have a lot of teams. I would expect us to play a bit better than we have though, considering how good we were the first half of the season. We were purring up to Burnley at home the last game of 2023, since then we've really struggled to control games and dominate teams and it's a concern for me. I know everyone says it's results that matter not performances, but my view is we've got out of jail with some subpar performances in recent times and still picked up the points but that won't continue to happen unless we ramp those performances up a level.

7 hours ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Improved but I’m still not keen his distribution is good but for a big lump he’s bullied easily hoping our youngster we signed in January comes good 

I always thought Strakhosa looked decent in Serie A for Lazio so surprised he hasn't played more unless he's looked rubbish in the cup games?

2 hours ago, Leeroy said:

I think Luton were very unlucky not to take at least a point and yes I believe Wolves looked the better side than us for large periods of last weekend's games.

Wolves played ok for the first 15-20 minutes and created one decent chance in that time. We controlled the game easily after we scored our first. Luton were a handful in the second half, but we should have been out of sight with how we dominated the first 45. 

Also, if xG is such an accurate indicator, why aren't Newcastle 3rd and Chelsea 5th in the league table? Cos according to xG they should be... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Leeroy said:

It's alright, very few people agree with me on here recently, seems it's me against everyone else most of the time, I'm probably best off debating with a brick wall. 

Maybe because you're ridiculously negative and defeatist all of the time?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

Wolves played ok for the first 15-20 minutes and created one decent chance in that time. We controlled the game easily after we scored our first. Luton were a handful in the second half, but we should have been out of sight with how we dominated the first 45. 

Also, if xG is such an accurate indicator, why aren't Newcastle 3rd and Chelsea 5th in the league table? Cos according to xG they should be... 

Probably should be if the XG table shows that, Newcastle battered us twice this season and Chelsea did in the cup so we know they're decent sides. 

12 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Maybe because you're ridiculously negative and defeatist all of the time?

Hah, says you. Never known anyone so negative on the transfer threads, I personally think you shouldn't be allowed to comment on them given you try to dismiss every single speculation there is. 

I would say I'm more realistic than negative but you think that if it makes you happy buddy. 

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

I always thought Strakhosa looked decent in Serie A for Lazio so surprised he hasn't played more unless he's looked rubbish in the cup games?

Been dreadful

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Not fearing this game as I was a few weeks back as we have a few players back now although still missing our skipper Norguaard and all our back 4 Rico Mee Pinnock and Hickey as we have for most of the season.Toney could miss out as he is carrying an injury and we have Sheffield and Luton games coming up which we need to win to stay in this boring predictable league for another season.Could have Mbeumo Wissa and Schade available to start who served us well when Toney was out.Think we will give you a tough game as we normally do except for the hammering 2 years ago.Always enjoy Villa park one of the few remaining iconic stadiums with a great atmosphere which we will not contribute as much as usual due to our clubs stupid  decision to only request 1500 tickets bazaar as we have sold out last 2 years 

Glad to hear that thug Mee isn’t playing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

Can’t agree that Spurs are playing better than us.  Yes they are better on the eye but underneath that they have been worse than us.  They are what I call a ‘highlights clip team’ where if you only see the highlights you go “wow” but you look under the bonnet over 90 minutes and there are some serious flaws and they certainly have no Plan B if Plan A isn’t working.  Why people thinking we are a lot worse is our stinker of a game against them, which it was but doesn’t negate the rest of it.

xG is the worse stat in recent times to raise its head, as somebody said if Duran had headed Konsa’s cross instead of it going straight in the xG on that would’ve been huge compared to xG Konsa actually got and Wolves xG is primarily for Ait-Nouri’s chance.  That all doesn’t mean Wolves were better than us, I thought it was fairly comfortable for us overall.

Spurs were 5th at this stage last year and dropped 19 points from April onwards, finishing 8th… I’d be surprised if Spurs didn’t do Spurs things again this year…

3 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Anyone nervous?

Not nervous as European games will give a big indication to the state of play regarding CL in next two weeks.

Also feels like we will drop points in at least one of the deemed "winnable" games in the run in. However we really should be going out and beating Chelsea so I think 8 points from the last 4 home games gives us a very good chance of 4th.