New Aston Villa Stadium Chat

VillaChris

13 minutes ago, picicata said:

I think he's hinting at a stadium move

But I thought the club had said emphatically that this wasn’t happening but fans seem to be trying to talk it into existence (I would be open to it but don’t think it’s happening).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thabucks said:

Man Utd always thought they’d be the biggest club in Manchester and Citeh would always be the poor siblings … We shouldn’t be too arrogant and ignore their potential IMO just because historically we’re the bigger of the two clubs. That said also not fussed what they do as I’m only interested in AVFC and NSWE plans for us. 

We need to forget the heritage of Villa Park and do what’s best for the long term benefit of the club from a business POV and if that’s moving then so be it. Been going since 89 and those memories can never be taken away but times change and we must accept that and new memories will be forged. 

With respect, why must we move?

Why can't we utilise the space behind the current North to getvus to 50,000. And, if we have the sort of money yoi would need for a new stadium, why not do a deal for the land and houses behind Witton Lane and make that the next phase to get Villa Park to 60,000?

I don't get the obsession that we have to move somewhere else. Where do you find a better site with better rail etc than Villa Park?

13 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

It's not the owners and board I'm worried about hampering our progress, it's the mentality and tunnel vision of a segment of the base I fear may actually play a part in holding us back.

Club could potentially have great plans but if they could potentially cause gross uproar they may be apprehensive to press ahead.

Which is basically eating your own tail.

So it's the fans fault? If they came out in 2021 and said we need to move I think fans would have got used to it.

Instead they came out and showed us a vision, renders, videos etc, of a redeveloped Villa Park that was stunning. They also hinted there would be more to follow after the North stand was done.

They then abruptly said 'we're not doing that'. That's the problem, this one isn't on the fans mate.

Was it tunnel vision of Liverpool to redevelop Anfield or is it only tunnel vision of some Aston Villa fans to say we have 125 years if history at Villa Park let us not just throw it away? 

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

So it's the fans fault? If they came out in 2021 and said we need to move I think fans would have got used to it.

Instead they came out and showed us a vision of a redeveloped Villa Park that was stunning and hinted there would be more to follow after the North stand was done.

They then abruptly said 'we're not doing that'. That's the problem, this one isn't on the fans mate.

if they'd have thrown the local council or area under the bus while saying we're not doing that then I think they could have gained support, if they'd have said the local infrastructure cant support 40k let alone 60k then every fan who attends VP would nod their head in agreement because we all know its not good enough

it's not so much that they said they're not doing it its that they gave a wishy washy reason that no one really believes in or can see enough detail in to make it believable 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LxYoungAVFC said:

Wait, did I miss something? The new North Stand cancelled?

Where have you been?

It was Purslows project. Heck came in and cancelled it for reasons that the club have never made clear.

3 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Where have you been?

It was Purslows project. Heck came in and cancelled it for reasons that the club have never made clear.

I completely missed that. Wow, ok.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, thabucks said:

Man Utd always thought they’d be the biggest club in Manchester and Citeh would always be the poor siblings … We shouldn’t be too arrogant and ignore their potential IMO just because historically we’re the bigger of the two clubs. That said also not fussed what they do as I’m only interested in AVFC and NSWE plans for us. 

We need to forget the heritage of Villa Park and do what’s best for the long term benefit of the club from a business POV and if that’s moving then so be it. Been going since 89 and those memories can never be taken away but times change and we must accept that and new memories will be forged. 

Villa Park, has changed dramatically over the years, so the nostalgia, is just the site.....The stands are recent, not much history there, sure its traditional looking, but that can be replicated elsewhere.

We are all faced with extending our properties, with changing circumstances, and quite often the decision is better to move.....I have no hard and fast opinion on it, other than what ever the most practical solution is, for the majority.

The area where Villa Park is, has changed so much demographically over the years, and it's debatable if it is still a practical site....is it a asset for the local community? or a hinderance?,.....there is so much to consider.

• Like 1

So the options are new stadium (nothing coming from the club regards this) redevelopment of North Stand but that's been cancelled (or paused) last option titivate North stand by filling in corners & adding seats ? 

More or less Frodo. Even though

1. Option three has been explored in the past and ruled out because the current goal post structure of the NS roof would have to go which means it would be a massive job and if doing that you may as well just go the whole hog and demolish and start from scratch. Filling the corners around the massive goal post structure holding up the roof is an absolute emphatic no unless you want to restrict the views of the new seats! Besides, the inside of the stand are dreadful.

2. A new ground,  apparently was considered and ruled out by NSWE when they first arrived. This was reported in about 2022. The stadium isn't run down and its worst stand has acres of space for redevelopment behind.

3. Redevelopment of the North Stand is the best option and has been on the table under Ellis, Lerner,  and NSWE.

This is why it all has the feel of a new employee revisiting options we have already considered to death and therefore we are wasting time we don't really have.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sorry .... or option 4 which is keep hiking the prices year in year which would cover the price of a new seat in a new stand without the outlay of building the new stand 👍

• Like 3

Just now, Frodo said:

Sorry .... or option 4 which is keep hiking the prices year in year which would cover the price of a new seat in a new stand without the outlay of building the new stand 👍

Yeah, some of the really well informed posters here have hinted this could well be the master plan which is a disgrace and will do for us long term.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Villa Park, has changed dramatically over the years, so the nostalgia, is just the site.....The stands are recent, not much history there, sure its traditional looking, but that can be replicated elsewhere.

We are all faced with extending our properties, with changing circumstances, and quite often the decision is better to move.....I have no hard and fast opinion on it, other than what ever the most practical solution is, for the majority.

The area where Villa Park is, has changed so much demographically over the years, and it's debatable if it is still a practical site....is it an asset for the local community? or a hinderance?,.....there is so much to consider.

For me the only thing to consider is that it would cost ~£1 billion give or take to build a new stadium somewhere with all the things to make it worthwhile.

I honestly don’t want our club to go into that much debt at the moment.  

My reasoning is nothing to do with any financial PSR/FFP rules that it may affect or not affect, it’s purely down to having a debt on the club for that amount.  We are losing millions currently in our P&L and throwing more debt and interest payments onto it means we are living totally outside of our means.

I’d rather focus on the pitch for the next few years and try and consistently attain CL football, continuing building commercial revenue off field like we have been doing with new sponsors and kit manufacturers and revisit the idea of a new stadium in the future.

• Like 1

Spurs - New super stadium done

Chelsea - planning a new stadium

Man Utd - planning a new stadium

Newcastle - planning a new stadium

Man City - Have recently expanded their stadium

Liverpool - Have recently expanded their stadium

Everton - new stadium being built

Birmingham City - planning a new stadium

Fulham - built a massive new stand with great facilities

Arsenal - First to build a great new stadium, still is one of the best for capacity and commercial options.

Aston Villa - Cancelled a new stand, currently have no plans to do anything with an old not fit-for-purpose stadium with low commercial opportunities. Hmmm.

• Like 4

Yeah mate, our two decades of worth of indecision has led us from being one of the best stadiums to one that is being left behind.

That's why I really feel we should have stuck to the plan and got to 50k. If we needed more in the future we'd be better off spending on the Witton Lane to get to 60k

31 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Spurs - New super stadium done

Chelsea - planning a new stadium

Man Utd - planning a new stadium

Newcastle - planning a new stadium

Man City - Have recently expanded their stadium

Liverpool - Have recently expanded their stadium

Everton - new stadium being built

Birmingham City - planning a new stadium

Fulham - built a massive new stand with great facilities

Arsenal - First to build a great new stadium, still is one of the best for capacity and commercial options.

Aston Villa - Cancelled a new stand, currently have no plans to do anything with an old not fit-for-purpose stadium with low commercial opportunities. Hmmm.

Haven't you heard?  Investing in new stadiums is a waste of money and doesn't pay..........apparently.

• Like 2