Pre-Match Thread - Cup Final 1 of 10

duke313

19 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Feel the same way I did when I saw the lineup vs Spurs. 

Balance is terribly off and at the risk of sounding like those bitter Arse fans, think Unai is making too many changes. 

But hoping for 3 points regardless of how it pans out!

Changes can’t really be avoided when you have three first team players injured/suspended.

• Like 4

It looks on paper a crazy attacking starting 11. 

I assume Luiz and Youri will be asked to sit in an give us some defensive solidity. 

The front 4 should be able to cause some problems for West Ham. Hoping for a big game from Ollie and Big Jhon! 

I’m thinking he’s picked that team based on height to an extent. Adding Duran and Rogers, and also having Lenglet, gives us an extra 3 players that can defend set pieces….

• Like 3

I said before the game our goalkeeper, defence and forwards are better, and their midfield is far superior with our absentees so that’s definitely a way to balance that. Just no midfield 😂

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Changes can’t really be avoided when you have three first team players injured/suspended.

Changes in structure and formation. 

Clearly doesn’t trust some players in certain configurations despite the injuries. 

But maybe this master plan will work out. 

7 minutes ago, GeordieVillan said:

The last time I felt we had a team this attacking was in Sherwood’s last game (I think) against Swansea at VP….lets hope it doesn’t go the same way!

Let’s bamboozle them with two 10s!!

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Pongo's Socks said:

Let's hope the ref doesn't notice

We're short on players, and we need to be bold. We should not shy away from it, and just ask him if he wants to play for us too.

25 minutes ago, 479Villan said:

The question to which no answer would ever come is “How much of this would change were McGinn available?”

Is all of this because he’s out? Is some of it and also some in response to favoring a cautious approach and reacting to how poorly that went?

I imagine the Duran upfront might be in response to a really good game on Thursday and his extra size in the box to help us deal with their set pieces. 

I’ve no idea what to make of that starting line up. It feels very light in midfield to me. I wonder if he is going to totally change tactics, sit deep and play direct counter attacking football!

One things for sure, Moyes will not have seen that coming. The score could be anything from 0-0 to 5-5 or maybe 4-0 either way!  Who knows! Trust in Unai. UTV. COYVB.

14 minutes ago, GeordieVillan said:

I’m thinking he’s picked that team based on height to an extent. Adding Duran and Rogers, and also having Lenglet, gives us an extra 3 players that can defend set pieces….

Yeah I completely agree with this. Every one of the line up decisions feels designed for extra height. Duran and Roger’s in, konsa at RB instead of cash. The only surprise from that perspective is lenglet retaining his place over Carlos who is more aerially dominant.

As others have said already, this might pay off on the basis that West Ham aren’t gonna seek to engage in a midfield  battle so sacrificing control for physicality could work. I think it’s a massive game for tielemans though and he really needs to step up