Dune - part 2 (Film)

MaVilla

Just now, ender4 said:

Can someone watch Dune 2 if they haven’t watched Dune 1 (or can’t remember anything about the first film because they fell asleep during it)?

Mmmm I would say no but I'm a passionate Dune fan, I just watched the first again before I go and see the new one today.

It definitely won't be a stand alone movie but I suppose if you remembered enough of the first one you could try. 

I highly recommend just watching the first one again.

3 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Yeah I'm the same mate, no interest in the newer books I even own one of them but it doesn't interest me for some reason. I have read House Harkonnen, not sure who wrote that but I'm pretty sure it's Frank.

Dune Messiah, was just a short book to give you all the info needed before CoD but yeah it's not my favourite either, there is a part of that book I love but I'm not mentioning it here.

Heretics of Dune was my favourite out besides the first book. Again I won't go into why here but Miles Teg and the ghola who shall remain unnamed is fantastic character interaction.

If I ever need a gamer tag or username, DuncanIdaho01 is my go to.

was it Heretics where a certain person find that stuff, and finds the words written on the wall!?

:chills: i got from that.....superb writing lol.

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

was it Heretics where a certain person find that stuff, and finds the words written on the wall!?

:chills: i got from that.....superb writing lol.

Yes! 

• Thanks 1

I saw the first one at the cinema, it was OK but nothing more.

Is this really worthy of its own thread?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Yes!

On my way to the cinema now, will let you know what I think.... Spoiler free obviously even though I think most people know the books so therefore know what is going to be in the movie..

I have no doubt it's going to be epic!

So I went and saw the movie with my mate who is also a hard core fan of the books.

The movie was absolutely epic, with some slight changes from the book but I have come to accept this is just what has to be done to make a Hollywood movie. 

The acting was on point, costumes on point, Sandworms were amazing and the fight scenes were up there with best I have ever seen.

If you're a fan of the books you will have a few little things that will be different but if you have never read the books you're in for a totally insanely good movie!

I don't want to add any spoilers so I will wait until some time has passed before discussing aspects of the movie.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just watched it, I didn’t get the hype with the books but enjoyed the first film. Part of that might just be how good it looks and feels from Denis.

Thought the first hour and half is slow but it’s ends very well, looks great and Austin Butler absolutely smashes it.

Im not sure I want Messiah and especially Children of Dune I found it an absolute mess after the first book. 

The film was absolutely brilliant. Full of absolutely fantastic performances and some stunning direction by Villeneuve

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nicho said:

Just watched it, I didn’t get the hype with the books but enjoyed the first film. Part of that might just be how good it looks and feels from Denis.

Thought the first hour and half is slow but it’s ends very well, looks great and Austin Butler absolutely smashes it.

Im not sure I want Messiah and especially Children of Dune I found it an absolute mess after the first book. 

Just back from the cinema and have to agree

• Like 1

Just got out of seeing it. Unsure if I like it or not. So much to take in. Definitely needs a second watch. It 100% sets up Dune Messiah. The last hour with the battle of Arrakis is just incredible. Please do the clone wars live action as that's exactly how it should look. It's 100% IMAX frame so if you see it in any other format you're missing two-thirds of the frame. I think I prefer the first films world building. Definitely requires a second viewing.

On 29/02/2024 at 21:41, rjw63 said:

Nope. It's so boring. Just like the first one—none of the characters have any personality and it was impossible for me to give a damn about any of it. What a waste of time and effort. Entertainment rating: 0/10 for me. I'd rather do anything else than watch either of these two films again. I'd rather sit in a cold waiting room for three hours.

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Saw it in IMAX. I'm not even exaggerating, that was the best film experience I've ever had. Best adaptation of anything I've ever seen. My favourite book, yet somehow Denis managed to make some aspects of it even better. 

• Like 1

I really enjoyed it. It was a long film but never boring, and although I feel like they made the ending a bit more open-ended than necessary (although to be fair the books ending was also slightly more open ended than I remembered). Left it feeling a bit like the middle film of a trilogy, when I was expecting the first two films to be more self-contained as a pair.

Anyway, great performances from the cast, great visuals. I don’t know if I’ll be rushing to watch the film again because “entertaining” might be the wrong word for it, but it’s definitely a classic that won’t soon be forgotten.

16 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Saw it in IMAX. I'm not even exaggerating, that was the best film experience I've ever had. Best adaptation of anything I've ever seen. My favourite book, yet somehow Denis managed to make some aspects of it even better. 

wow, high praise, really that good?

Dune is also my favourite book (well....maybe....one of the other Dune books might challenge it for me personall)...anyways....

Is it really that good!?

i need to get my butt down the cinema to see it.....

On 02/03/2024 at 23:41, Rolta said:

Nope. It's so boring. Just like the first one—none of the characters have any personality and it was impossible for me to give a damn about any of it. What a waste of time and effort. Entertainment rating: 0/10 for me. I'd rather do anything else than watch either of these two films again. I'd rather sit in a cold waiting room for three hours.

This is the wrongest wrong thing I’ve ever read in the history of wrongness

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

wow, high praise, really that good?

Dune is also my favourite book (well....maybe....one of the other Dune books might challenge it for me personall)...anyways....

Is it really that good!?

i need to get my butt down the cinema to see it.....

I mean Denis is already my favourite director and the movie is an absolute visual splendor as expected. And with IMAX, it was just an unforgettable experience. But from an adaptation perspective, he absolutely nailed the feel and pace of the story. You can tell the care and attention to detail that went into it came from a true fan of Dune who wanted to do it justice and not just some director who was hired to churn out another adaptation a famous story to get bums on seats.

You know how when you watch an adaptation of a book or something else and it's just like a hollow facsimile of the source material? It doesn't really match up to what you imagined in your head while reading. I feel like this is the case for pretty much everything I've seen off the top of my head.

For example I've recently finished rewatching Game of Thrones (with my brother who has never seen it or read the books). I love the ASoIaF books, and while the show was good, great even in parts...on the whole it just pales in comparison to the books. It's always in the back of your mind. And we're talking about eight, 1 hour long episodes per season here, and it still can't capture the spirit and depth of the source material. Villaneuve managed to do so with 5 hours to work with.

Another recent example is the Netflix Avatar series. It's Avatar in name yes, and the characters visually resemble their animated counterparts, but I'm just watching them go through the motions of the story beats and not much else. It's an Avatar skeleton, with no meat on it.

But with Dune 2, every scene has weight to it (it's not just there because this happened in the books so let's show it), and the way the various major plot points are portrayed very closely capture the tone and heft of the book. The climax especially, I never thought I'd see it done justice on the big screen. The other 2 adaptations certainly didn't. You know how when reading it you get the feeling that shit is really going down? That's exactly how it felt. And not in that Marvel-y final showdown kind of way. It really captured that essence of the power imbalance between the Imperium/Harkonnens and the Fremen/Muad'dib and the ramifications of the outcome were clear.

But beyond that, there are some things that somehow were even more impressive than the book. For example, without going into details, the scene where Feyd Rautha is fighting in the pits. It's way more detailed and grandiose (and even strange looking) than I'd imagined while reading. Also some of the alterations to the story were mostly positive and ones that I welcome. How many times could I say that about other adaptations? Usually you're left scratching your head like "why did they change that? It's worse now".

But yeah, I would say if you can catch it in IMAX, you gotta do it man. It's like I felt Hans Zimmer's score instead of just hearing it. The immersion was off the scale. It also made me wonder what's going to happen with the physical release of the movie. The majority of scenes seem very obviously framed for that IMAX ratio or at the very least something like 16:9 or 1.87:1. If it's presented with the same ratio as Part 1, we'll really lose a lot of information and framing. Just for that I might just go ahead and see it again in IMAX. Just as a pure audiovisual experience, it's absolutely top notch.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Â