Dune - part 2 (Film)

MaVilla

Anyone else going to watch it?

Reviews are off the scale so far it seems, Dune Part 1 was a little slow, but Dune part 1 was effectively the first half of the book, so i fully expected it to be slow, the second half of the book is where it all goes nuclear, so basically the second film.

If its even nearly as good as the reviews say it is, should be a classic?

• Like 2

Loved the book (admittedly many years ago, when I used to read a lot of SF - I rarely go near it now). 

Found the film dull AF. 

Won't bother with Part 2 until it's streaming for free. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

Denis don't miss.

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Is anyone making prettier looking films right now? 

He’s a genius. My favourite director

3 minutes ago, hogso said:

Praying he does Rendezvous with Rama next. 

He is attached to it last I saw. Used to be David Fincher. Also has a 3rd Dune movie and a Cleopatra movie lined up who knows when.

Going to see this in 10 hours time and I can't bloody wait.

I am a Dune tragic.

I've read the main 6 books, 3 times over and I still could read them again and probably will. I haven't read all the preludes but the one I have read was an amazing book as well.

The first movie was very well done with only a few minor gripes that I had, but this is expected when converting an all time classic book into a movie.

If you haven't read the books then I will tell you that the first movie did its job, which is to set you up for what's about to happen ..... Shit is about to get real!!!

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Loved the book (admittedly many years ago, when I used to read a lot of SF - I rarely go near it now). 

Found the film dull AF. 

Won't bother with Part 2 until it's streaming for free. 

Because you the read books many years ago I'm going to cut you some slack...

The first movie did exactly what the part of the book it covers does, sets you up for what's about to happen.... You wait until it's streaming for free by all means, I'm going to see it on the big screen as soon as I finish work today because it's going to be worth it. 

Edited by Villan_of_oz

18 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Because you the read books many years ago I'm going to cut you some slack...

The first movie did exactly what the part of the book it covers does, sets you up for what's about to happen.... You wait until it's streaming for free by all means, I'm going to see it on the big screen as soon as I finish work today because it's going to be worth it. 

TBF, I only saw it on TV, I'm sure it was spectacular on the big screen. But it just didn't grip me - and it didn't look anything like the way I imagined it in the book. I did love the original book, but was very disappointed by Dune Messiah, so I didn't bother with all the subsequent cash-in sequels. 

Bottom line: (with a few notable exceptions) I'm generally not a big fan of screen sci-fi, as compared with the written word. 

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

TBF, I only saw it on TV, I'm sure it was spectacular on the big screen. But it just didn't grip me - and it didn't look anything like the way I imagined it in the book. I did love the original book, but was very disappointed by Dune Messiah, so I didn't bother with all the subsequent cash-in sequels. 

Bottom line: (with a few notable exceptions) I'm generally not a big fan of screen sci-fi, as compared with the written word. 

I'm sorry but "cash in sequels" is nowhere near accurate, Frank Herbert wrote those books because he hadn't just created an entire world, he had created an entire universe ...

1 hour ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Going to see this in 10 hours time and I can't bloody wait.

I am a Dune tragic.

I've read the main 6 books, 3 times over and I still could read them again and probably will. I haven't read all the preludes but the one I have read was an amazing book as well.

The first movie was very well done with only a few minor gripes that I had, but this is expected when converting an all time classic book into a movie.

If you haven't read the books then I will tell you that the first movie did its job, which is to set you up for what's about to happen ..... Shit is about to get real!!!

man after my own heart.

I have read all 6 of his Dune books, some of them probably more than 10 times.......but tbh, and its apersonal thing, but i refuse to read his sons books.

Not so hung up on Messiah, but Dune, CoD and GEoD......classics.

Dune is defo my fave books series ever, sublime books.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

man after my own heart.

I have read all 6 of his Dune books, some of them probably more than 10 times.......but tbh, and its apersonal thing, but i refuse to read his sons books.

Not so hung up on Messiah, but Dune, CoD and GEoD......classics.

Dune is defo my fave books series ever, sublime books.

Yeah I'm the same mate, no interest in the newer books I even own one of them but it doesn't interest me for some reason. I have read House Harkonnen, not sure who wrote that but I'm pretty sure it's Frank.

Dune Messiah, was just a short book to give you all the info needed before CoD but yeah it's not my favourite either, there is a part of that book I love but I'm not mentioning it here.

Heretics of Dune was my favourite out besides the first book. Again I won't go into why here but Miles Teg and the ghola who shall remain unnamed is fantastic character interaction.

If I ever need a gamer tag or username, DuncanIdaho01 is my go to.

Â