Dune - part 2 (Film)

MaVilla

I still wish someone would have given Jodorowsksy the money for his version.

I'm guessing it was his declaring it was going to be fourteen hours long at the first meeting is probably what put them off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Quite hard to do with 2.5 hours, and a lot of material to portray. And also the book is kind of like this. It's not really dramatic until the very end (Messiah is even more like this, oh man I can imagine how boring people will find that movie if it ever comes out), but I think the climax was a good payoff and well worth it.

The majority of the book is watching the political machinations of the Baron (to be fair, something I felt the movie was sorely missing), and Paul slowly gaining power among the Fremen by convincing them (willingly or not) he's a Messiah until things come to a head at the end.

Ironically, I'm actually more interested in the books now. I might try to do the second one and on as audiobooks. The overall idea does sound interesting.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Ironically, I'm actually more interested in the books now. I might try to do the second one and on as audiobooks. The overall idea does sound interesting.

The movie is kind of like a summation/cliffnotes of the book, which is really all you can do with 5 or so hours of film time. One thing it is sorely lacking is the geopolitical intrigue (not that it can really be properly portrayed). It's why it's my favourite book in the series, there are so many plans within plans and feints within feints as they call it in the books between the major players, especially the Baron. In the movie he's just sort of the big bad oppressive guy, but we don't see any of his scheming (and in the book he gains a valuable advisor that isn't shown in the movie that makes his plotting even more potent). Paul's ascension is the culmination/climax of the story but to me it's the way we get there that really makes the story.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MaVilla said:

what im about to say is clearly untrue, but from the perspective of someone who has read Dune probably 10+ times, and the others in the series numerous times, i cant imagine how someone who hasnt read the books could actually "get" Dune in just 2 movies.

Now, from the amount of people who loved the 2 Dune movies, and havent read the books, my belief is clearly not true, but maybe there is some truth in it, in the sense that the books give much more detail and nuance, that underpin the whole story, like a deeper understanding etc,  but if you dont know it in advance, i guess you just dont, and take the film on face value, and its still superb i guess?

anyways, glad you liked it.

I say I haven’t read the books. I’ve read half of the first one, but I read it after I’d seen the movie (twice)

I can’t say I read much in the book that I didn’t get from the movie. Obviously there’s more detail but that’s true with any book adaptation into a movie

• Like 1

Re-watched the first one (for the third time) last night in preparation for seeing Part 2 this week.

It's still amazing

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Re-watched the first one (for the third time) last night in preparation for seeing Part 2 this week.

It's still amazing

Did the same! 

going tonight to see part 2

• Like 2

On 05/03/2024 at 07:53, Keyblade said:

The movie is kind of like a summation/cliffnotes of the book, which is really all you can do with 5 or so hours of film time. One thing it is sorely lacking is the geopolitical intrigue (not that it can really be properly portrayed). It's why it's my favourite book in the series, there are so many plans within plans and feints within feints as they call it in the books between the major players, especially the Baron. In the movie he's just sort of the big bad oppressive guy, but we don't see any of his scheming (and in the book he gains a valuable advisor that isn't shown in the movie that makes his plotting even more potent). Paul's ascension is the culmination/climax of the story but to me it's the way we get there that really makes the story.

This is absolutely correct!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It's still amazing

I did the same before Part 2, and it was amazing but Part 2 completely blew it out of the water (there's also the matter of viewing it on my modest home setup compared to IMAX). So much happens that Part 1 feels like a prologue in comparison, and not the entire first half of the story.

• Like 2

Just back from part 2 and thought it was far superior to Part 1 but probably down in part, to the plotline meticulously laid out in the first film (which I rewatched last night)

I didn't realise how good Timothy Chamoisleather was as he absolutely bossed the role of Paul Artreidis. I didn't expect such a commanding performance as good as that.

The whole film looked and sounded fantastic and luckily had some great actors more than doing their bit (Bardem, Ferguson and Austin Butler particularly)

Would definitely watch again. 

Spoiler

It was left very open - are there plans for more Dune adaptations?

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Just back from part 2 and thought it was far superior to Part 1 but probably down in part, to the plotline meticulously laid out in the first film (which I rewatched last night)

I didn't realise how good Timothy Chamoisleather was as he absolutely bossed the role of Paul Artreidis. I didn't expect such a commanding performance as good as that.

The whole film looked and sounded fantastic and luckily had some great actors more than doing their bit (Bardem, Ferguson and Austin Butler particularly)

Would definitely watch again. 

Reveal hidden contents

It was left very open - are there plans for more Dune adaptations?

His performance definitely surprised me. I didn't think he had it in him. Utterly convincing performance as Paul.

Apparently he's already in the midst of writing Dune Messiah, and the higher ups are waiting on seeing how this one does financially before green lighting.

• Like 1

Absolutely stunning.
I must confess to being slightly underwhelmed by the first one but if you view it as a prologue it makes more sense. 

Just reading through the thread and see that @Designer1 had the same thoughts re Walken. Slightly jarring for me and didn’t really work. Other than that, it was really enjoyable and even at 2 and a bit hours, it flew by. 

By far the biggest disappointment was the lack of Dune 2 popcorn buckets. 

• Like 1

Great movie, loved both parts. We need more movies like this made by a small group what have a vision of what they want the movie to be, given the funding and allowed to make it

Edited by CVByrne

Went to watch last night with the wife. Absolutely loved the first 2 hours of it. Unfortunately we then got a call that the youngest was not feeling well and had to go home. Guess I will have to wait for it to stream or go again when I get a chance. 

• Sad 1

Saw it at the weekend and liked it a lot. I am not sure but I think I prefer the 1st one but that might change after another viewing. Hope there is a 3rd

Seeing it tomorrow. Had to rewatch the first one as I’ve only read the first two books once. 

Have to say, I wasn’t nearly as impressed with it but I also have to keep the sound down to a minimum because of the little one. 

Excited to watch the second one in all the IMAX splendor. 

Off to see it tonight. Like most on here I rewatched the first one last night, but I found it a lot less engaging watching for a second time on a small screen. I enjoyed it in the cinema, but not at home.

Wonder if the second film might be similar in that regard... Guess I'll find out.

Glad to have seen it in theatres. Absolute spectacle.

I kind of see what people might mean about the characters being soulless and it is that sort of hybrid for book readers and film goers. Having read the first two books, I could connect the dots, but my friend who watched it was a little lost on some of the side characters. Feyd-Rautha/Lady Fenring - had no recollection of Mohiam. 

An absolute must see in IMAX though. The worm riding scene was thunderous and earned a cringe crowd applause but I could see why.

• Like 1

On 13/03/2024 at 09:52, DJBOB said:

Glad to have seen it in theatres. Absolute spectacle.

I kind of see what people might mean about the characters being soulless and it is that sort of hybrid for book readers and film goers. Having read the first two books, I could connect the dots, but my friend who watched it was a little lost on some of the side characters. Feyd-Rautha/Lady Fenring - had no recollection of Mohiam. 

An absolute must see in IMAX though. The worm riding scene was thunderous and earned a cringe crowd applause but I could see why.

The worm scene in IMAX was probably the first time where I felt like I was in a movie. I wasn't just hearing the sound, but it was pulsating throughout my body. I've been to 4DX movies less immersive.

Â