Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Mings is very very quick. So hopefully he hasn't lost that. McGinn and JJ said three quickest players at Villa were Leon, Ollie and Ty in a video a couple of years ago.

Moreno of last season was always with recovery runs back saving us too. 

If we play Konsa, Pau, Digne and Ty and a high line in CL... good luck with that.

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think as a priority we need an additional midfielder to provide the cover we didn't have when Kamara was injured, we could do with a CB to cover the loss of Lenglet, and possibly another one as insurance if Mings doesn't come back and because Carlos isn't getting any younger, and I think we need a right back depending on where the club see the Nedeljkovic in his development. If there's an opportunity we might take a left back due to the age of the two we have, again dependent on where the club see Sousa in his development, and I think we could do with an attacking midfielder who can open up a defence, both as cover or as a replacement for Buendia depending on how he comes back.

So for me, CB, CB, LB, RB, DM, AM would be the positions I'd like to see us looking at - although if one of January's youngsters is ahead of schedule we might already have one of those positions covered.

I would split this into 2 categories, 1) squad gap and 2) replacement of a player. I think CB and CDM are squad gaps as in we should sign players as we have and need to add to who we have in those positions. I'd say we are probably an attacking players short too the s/s / 10. IF we say Rogers/JJ - LM, Bailey/Diaby - RM, Watkins/Duran - CF and then Buendia/New as the AMC/10.

However I see replacing Carlos, Cash or Digne as one out and one in. I think with Nedeljkovic and Cash along with Konsa RB is stocked. Same if we have 5 CBs in relation to Carlos. Also LB with Digne/Moreno and Hermoso/Pau. 

9 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

If we play Konsa, Pau, Digne and Ty and a high line in CL... good luck with that.

Digne will leave, Konsa and Mings are perfect for the high line. Pau is not quick and so it's who is the 4th player, Moreno or Cash and we're fine

Posted (edited)

I hope we continue the work of getting some younger defenders in. The age situation isn't a worry atm but a lot of them are 30-ish and it's not ideal having replace too many at the same time in a season or 2. Digne, Mings, Carlos, Moreno.

Kosta & hopefully Lino Sousa is a step in that direction. Would be great if we could find a CB in the 22-24 age bracket along with the youngsters we have coming up the youth program.

Cash, Konsa & Pau are the perfect age although Cash has to step up or be replaced. 

Chambers, Hause, Lenglet I imagine will be gone along with possibly Digne, Cash or Carlos.

Feels silly to be looking at the dreadful Spurs defense but on paper they should have a really good young group of defenders in the coming years. Especially if they stick with the back 5 of Porro 24, Romero 26, van der Ven, 23 Dragusin 22 & Udogie 21.

Edited by sne
  • Thanks 1

Return of players and hopefully settled and potential for improved consistency from Diaby and Duran automatically sees us start the season in a stronger position. DM and RB for some smart signings. Oh yeah got that Serbian lad coming haven't we? He's going to be part of the squad for sure I expect. 

We don't need loads of new players even with the restrictions really. Going forward we shouldn't need to ever be adding more than 2 or 3 players max a summer unless we have a big old clearout one year

4 minutes ago, macandally said:

I get the wages, but for the life of me cannot see why people are falling over themselves to sell Digne

Think it's more that he was rumored to be a target for the Saudi league last year and that Moreno came in and replaced him. The Moreno injury and his (lack of) form when he came back has changed Dignes situation imo. He's stepped up and done really well for the most part. Digne & Moreno if both fit feels like a solid LB duo. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, macandally said:

I get the wages, but for the life of me cannot see why people are falling over themselves to sell Digne

I agree totally.  If Digne and Moreno are both fit and can rotate then that's a great situation to be in for next season.  I also think Digne put in a massive shift this season and feel people wanting to discard him a bit unfair, he deserves a crack at the Champions League.

As for Barkley, if he has developed into a more defensive midfielder then it would make more sense.  I can't say I've watched much of Luton.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, macandally said:

It's down to the squad cost. ie what is the cost of Digne per year on our books and that is what is used in the UEFA squad cost calculation and PSR. Digne costs £12m per season while Watkins for example costs us £9m, Moreno £7m etc..

We need to view the squad based on how much they can perform on the pitch vs how much "space" they take up in our squad cost. We get their relative worth then. Carlos is another expensive player at £12m per year while Mings is just over half that cost at about £6.2m

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Digne will leave, Konsa and Mings are perfect for the high line. Pau is not quick and so it's who is the 4th player, Moreno or Cash and we're fine

I always think Pau is so good on the ball if he had a decent shot on him he could be our Rodri. 

his confidence with first touch and driving forward is brilliant at times. 

I think if we are street smart this summer, we can really continue the momentum.  Clearly we havw some FFP issues and a player or two may need to bbe sold. 

The high wages is i think the biggest issue so trying to get coutinho off the books would be a good start along with Dendoncker hause and chambers who wont really being in much. (Notice 3 of the 4 are gerrard signings)

Id probably be ok selling carlos and cash dont think either is really good enough tbh as 1st choice and cant see either wanting stick around as backup.

Digne id keep but if the wages are a big issue then i would reluctantly let him go.

Also olsen can go too just do not rate him at all.

• Like 1

Lenglet and Zaniolo will go back. Need to get Dendoncker, Coutinho, Hause, Chambers off the wage bill. Loan out or sell Iroegbunam, Kesler-Hayden. If we bring in Hermoso on a free I can see that meaning Digne leaving and we should be able to get money for him after the season he has had. 

Hermoso would cover the departure of Digne and Mings would cover the departure of Lenglet. We have Nedeljkovic coming in to challenge Cash for right back. Ramsey and Buendia returning will fill the void left by Zaniolo. 

If we can somehow bring 20-30 million in from sales, surely that will give us money to spend in the market? 

Definitely need another holding midfielder to see us through to when Bouba returns. 

Martinez - Olsen

Cash - Nedeljkovic 

Konsa - Carlos

Torres - Mings

Hermoso - Moreno 

Bouba -? 

Luiz - Tielemans

McGinn - Diaby

Bailey - Buendia

Rogers - Ramsey

Watkins - Duran

What/where needs replacing/improving? Olsen? Cash? I am not sure about the Baena links. Think it could be lazy journalism. Also, it seems like he plays a position we have plenty of cover in. Holding midfielder (Ndidi?), better back-up keeper (?), better starting right back (Frimpong?) may be the only recruitment needed? 

9 hours ago, Jas10 said:

I’ll always refer back to this, Unai’s words back in January:

Thanks for this, Unai has always been very careful in his wording when it comes to spending and FFP. They know exactly what the budgets are.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

Barkley is a surprise IF true. Injuries withstanding, he did well here before so under Unai you’d imagine he could excel - used sparingly and precisely. 

Lets  not rewrite History.  He was Dross for us and most of the fans were glad he went back to Chelsea.  

In saying that, he was under a totally inept manager technically, under Emery i think he would actually be a decent signing.  We need to boost the squad and he won’t cost the world as on free. 

• Like 1

Don't want Cash or Konsa to be the first choice RB next season. RB feels like the position where we most need a clear upgrade in the starting 11. Kosta shouldn't be expected to take a starting spot right away, great if he's that good thou. 

Obviously we need cover/options/improvements in more positions thou.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rodders129 said:

I don’t want Crysensio Summerville…think he’s got a bad attitude. He doesn’t pass the Dean Smith test

Where's the evidence of that. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DaoDeMings said:

Madness if it happens, but I actually think that's an alright move. You'd think he'd cost pennies and will be a useful and experienced backup option (won't be anything more than that) for Luiz's position as well as the AM roles.

Edit: He's out of contract, so will be free and on relatively low wages

Yeah imo a much better signing than Baena or whoever for money. But would prefer cherki over all of them as he fits exactly what we need in attack imo. 

Edited by MotoMkali

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Don't want Cash or Konsa to be the first choice RB next season. RB feels like the position where we most need a clear upgrade in the starting 11. Kosta shouldn't be expected to take a starting spot right away, great if he's that good thou. 

Obviously we need cover/options/improvements in more positions thou.

totally agree.

In my head, i have Kosta Ned as second choice right back, with a new starting RB, and Konsa able to cover in a pinch but back as a primary CB.

Cash sold.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Lets  not rewrite History.  He was Dross for us and most of the fans were glad he went back to Chelsea.  

In saying that, he was under a totally inept manager technically, under Emery i think he would actually be a decent signing.  We need to boost the squad and he won’t cost the world as on free. 

He also was brought in to appease his bestie Grealish and I don't think that influence was conducive. Look how much better he was without him at Luton.

• Like 3

Â