Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

God no! If we get into the Champions League then we try our best even if it’s just to get the extra revenue for wins and next rounds.  Plus can you imagine our current top first team players reaction if we try that approach, they would be wanting to leave.  This plus the reaction from the fans of not trying, the fans still talk about MON not focusing on Europe decades later, imagine doing that in the CL.  I’m sorry but this a bad take all around.

I’m not saying play youth players in the games - just not that we’d need to delve into the transfer market purely because we’ve made the CL and want to be competitive in it.

The club should be more long term than that and utilise the younger talent that we have coming through the squad rather than splashing out on players. Unless our youth are purely for sale purposes only. 

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

I’m not saying play youth players in the games - just not that we’d need to delve into the transfer market purely because we’ve made the CL and want to be competitive in it.

The club should be more long term than that and utilise the younger talent that we have coming through the squad rather than splashing out on players. Unless our youth are purely for sale purposes only. 

I’m not advocating splashing massive cash on players but it’s a chance of attracting a real difference maker(s) for the long term.  

Look how Newcastle have struggled this season and what a difference Tonali could’ve made if not for the ban.  

Do our DD right and get a quality one or two young/early to mid twenties players could really lock us into regular top four team.  

We need that regular CL revenue, not just one season but consistently otherwise we’ll be selling our better players.  

I think this strategy is more looking at long term health at this club that what you are proposing which imo lends to being one off or maybe here or there qualifying for CL.  

We aren’t going to win the CL but we should be reasonably competitive in the early stages because of the strength of the PL compared to other leagues and a seasoned manager in Europe in Emery who can help guide us.

I’m not convinced our youth in the squad is of that level plus likes of Luiz, Diaby, Bailey, Watkins and Torres will be wanting to play in those games, that’s the games they will want to be playing in more than anything.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bobzy said:

I’ve seen a player like Sousa (for example) touted as our backup player next season but I think that’s madness. He can’t even get in an 18th placed Championship team where even Kesler Hayden was a regular starter. He’ll be nowhere near the squad next season and almost certainly go out on loan again to prove himself.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

I’ve seen a player like Sousa (for example) touted as our backup player next season but I think that’s madness. He can’t even get in an 18th placed Championship team where even Kesler Hayden was a regular starter. He’ll be nowhere near the squad next season and almost certainly go out on loan again to prove himself.

Yep

• Like 1

On 07/03/2024 at 13:03, alreadyexists said:

I haven’t really watched any of Leicester this year, but they’re going to need a fire sale by the sounds of it, anyone that would be worth getting?

Ndidi as cover for Kamara? 

He was highly rated a few years back but seems to have fallen off a cliff - maybe needs a move. The ability is there.

11 minutes ago, Xela said:

He was highly rated a few years back but seems to have fallen off a cliff - maybe needs a move. The ability is there.

Could be worth looking at on a free.  I can't say I've really watched him much, is he better than Dendoncker?

29 minutes ago, Xela said:

Extremely highly rated, I know he has dropped off loads, I don't know why.

Tielemans will do though

On 07/03/2024 at 09:03, duke313 said:

I may be wrong, but I don't think we should be relaying on two players with very little first team experience going into our first Champions League campaign.  We will need a step up in quality in the overall squad depth.

Fair enough on Tim (though I think he’ll have a part to play) but I think Nedeljkovic is intended to be the step up in quality you mention. We haven’t gone and dropped the best part of £10m on a right back who is playing CL football for him to come here and play for the U23s/sit on the bench all season. He’s coming in to improve an area of the team that needs it.

10 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Fair enough on Tim (though I think he’ll have a part to play) but I think Nedeljkovic is intended to be the step up in quality you mention. We haven’t gone and dropped the best part of £10m on a right back who is playing CL football for him to come here and play for the U23s/sit on the bench all season. He’s coming in to improve an area of the team that needs it.

Maybe the lad is great, that isnt very likely though. He probably is here as the second choice whilst he develops.

1 hour ago, paul514 said:

Extremely highly rated, I know he has dropped off loads, I don't know why.

Tielemans will do though

Ndidi is great at winning the ball back however his passing is his big weakness. Wouldn't want him receiving the ball from Martinez or the centre backs

3 hours ago, Leeroy said:

I think him or Chrisene will be around the squad next season. However we'll sign another defender who can cover LB (Hermoso looks a logical signing) and if Mings can recover then possibly Pau can cover LB on occasions aswell so reality is the young LB will still be a long way from playing unless we get even more injuries next season.

Maybe the lad is great, that isnt very likely though. He probably is here as the second choice whilst he develops.

Maybe you’re right. They’re expecting him to be starting for Serbia by the Euros this summer (been called up to recent squads) so if our second choice is playing for his country aged 18 with a season under his belt in the CL, we will be doing well! I’d be very surprised though if we signed ANOTHER right back having brought him in.

1 hour ago, Adam2003 said:

Maybe you’re right. They’re expecting him to be starting for Serbia by the Euros this summer (been called up to recent squads) so if our second choice is playing for his country aged 18 with a season under his belt in the CL, we will be doing well! I’d be very surprised though if we signed ANOTHER right back having brought him in.

We won’t sign another unless we sell cash, which I think we should if he is wanted for a decent fee

• Like 2

2 hours ago, alexvilla4 said:

Ndidi is great at winning the ball back however his passing is his big weakness. Wouldn't want him receiving the ball from Martinez or the centre backs

I don’t know, like you say we need someone comfortable with the ball which can be difficult with a DM it’s pretty different to our needs from a few years ago.

• Like 1

I don’t know, like you say we need someone comfortable with the ball which can be difficult with a DM it’s pretty different to our needs from a few years ago.

Tyler Morton at Hull, not sure Plop will part with him though. 

23 hours ago, nick76 said:

I’m not advocating splashing massive cash on players but it’s a chance of attracting a real difference maker(s) for the long term.  

Look how Newcastle have struggled this season and what a difference Tonali could’ve made if not for the ban.  

Do our DD right and get a quality one or two young/early to mid twenties players could really lock us into regular top four team.  

We need that regular CL revenue, not just one season but consistently otherwise we’ll be selling our better players.  

I think this strategy is more looking at long term health at this club that what you are proposing which imo lends to being one off or maybe here or there qualifying for CL.  

We aren’t going to win the CL but we should be reasonably competitive in the early stages because of the strength of the PL compared to other leagues and a seasoned manager in Europe in Emery who can help guide us.

I’m not convinced our youth in the squad is of that level plus likes of Luiz, Diaby, Bailey, Watkins and Torres will be wanting to play in those games, that’s the games they will want to be playing in more than anything.

A lot of fans said that in 1982 too! :hooray: That said, I agree with your comments and our first target would be to qualify from the group stage, every win before and after that point will add to the club's revenue. The CL will also need our first choice team in each and every game. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, paul514 said:

I don't think he will be coming as first choice.  But I do think he'll be a regular member of the match day squad.  There was just something about the way we signing him (and the way that Monchi operates) that makes me think that we believe we've made a bit of a transfer scoop rather than signed a development player.  Fingers crossed.

2 hours ago, burchy said:

Random question, if we were in for Frimpong, is he classed as homegrown due to be at city?

He would but is 2 different home grown sections, one of them is domestic and other academy. We would still lose a spot or 2 in the European squad without academy players

Watching this line up today and you can kinda see how Frimpong would fit in. Him instead of Cash would be spicy.

• Like 2

Â