Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

1 hour ago, John said:

Agreed, so why are we talking about what players we should sell, rather than players we can hopefully look to buy in the next window? If FFP is going to hit us like a house brick on the head before the next transfer window, then that is something that I will consider as and when, we know that for sure. In the interim, I will be thinking of what we could do with some sort of reasonable transfer budget in the next window. 

Anyone would think that we have HDE back counting the pennies again, or Randy after he had pulled the purse strings tighter than a duck's a**e, or even mega-rich Dr Xia, who ultimately couldn't even pay the club's milk bill!  No, we have billionaire owners who want to continue to back the club, UE and a team that are on the verge of something really big.

This topic has become all too depressing of late, following speculation that we are tomorrow's Everton, at a time when we should be stocking up champagne for the end of the season and for what follows that. 13 cup finals and possibly another one in Athens, to look forward to for me, along with players that we might bring in, rather than flog during the summer window.    

It isn't about us having no money or the owners wanting to spend nothing, this is about an accountancy method we have to be compliant with and how it is done whilst spending a lot. Nothing more, nothing less.

Edited by paul514

1 hour ago, paul514 said:

It isn't about us having no money or the owners wanting to spend nothing, this is about an accountancy method we have to be compliant with and how it is done whilst spending a lot. Nothing more, nothing less.

Fair enough. It is going to be interesting to see how much we will be able to spend in the window. FFP really takes the fun out of suggesting we sign Mbappe doesn't it?;)

3 minutes ago, John said:

Fair enough. It is going to be interesting to see how much we will be able to spend in the window. FFP really takes the fun out of suggesting we sign Mbappe doesn't it?;)

Maybe Mbappe has a one legged cousin we could loan with the option to buy? 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Maybe Mbappe has a one legged cousin we could loan with the option to buy? 

His 17 y.o brother Ethan Mbappé has featured in 1 Ligue 1 game for PSG this season. Could possibly get him in since PSG loves selling their young French players. He's out of contract in the summer so I imagine he'll join Real (or Castilla) too.

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

*The club* have ruled out moving to a new stadium, repeatedly. I understand why you're annoyed about it, but they have and so it isn't going to happen. 

Spurs went more than one transfer window without signing anyone at all. 'It wouldn't affect FFP' does not mean it would not affect the club's actual balance sheet, it very much would. 

But stadium expansion has been on the agenda a long time now, it’s just infrastructure and logistics have held it back. The obvious solution is build a new stadium. The club could easily change their mind.

If they find other ways to drastically increase the revenue without building a new stadium and/or expanding Villa Park then fair play to them.

52 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

But stadium expansion has been on the agenda a long time now, it’s just infrastructure and logistics have held it back. The obvious solution is build a new stadium. The club could easily change their mind.

If they find other ways to drastically increase the revenue without building a new stadium and/or expanding Villa Park then fair play to them.

It could be.

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Leeroy said:

Tbf it may not be needed chelsea have been a big fish in the last couple decades and theirs is slightly under ours i think 🤔 but we certainly need some renovation and modernising in a few areas, some penthouse features like the inside of Tottenham’s wouldnt go a miss

59 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Tbf it may not be needed chelsea have been a big fish in the last couple decades and theirs is slightly under ours i think 🤔 but we certainly need some renovation and modernising in a few areas, some penthouse features like the inside of Tottenham’s wouldnt go a miss

Chelsea had an owner that was allowed to plough his roubles into that club before FFP was a thing, they like Manchester City jumped the queue on the back of their owners, when nobody felt the need to do anything about it. Without their excessive spending back then they wouldn't be where they are today and able to spend pretty much what they like. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, John said:

It does and I am dead against FFP personally 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RicRic said:

Chelsea did but they’re in a very expensive part of London. Also abramovich funded them out of his own pocket before FFP came in so they were able to get success by winning loads of trophies gaining them fans worldwide and large sponsorship and broadcasting deals and this in turn massively increased their revenue. Even then I strongly suspect Abramovich pulled off some shady deals to increase that revenue much like the oil barons in Manchester. 

I just don’t want us to be selling to buy all the time, it seems like we’re being punished for being successful. A team that goes from 14th to 7th to potentially 4th or 5th should be allowed to retain its best players and spend money to improve the team further in certain positions, not sell star Academy graduates or key components of the team. I still think though that if we can offload the likes of Sanson, Coutinho, Dendoncker, Olsen, Carlos, Chambers and Hause that will free up around £500K in wages which is £24m annually off the books.

IMO we just need tweaks this summer and nothing major but we do need to sign players in certain positions. We still need to invest in a holding midfielder given Kamara’s injury and Donk up for sale, probably a younger centre back to replace Carlos in the squad if we can move him on, and then if we moved Digne and Cash on which is also possible we’d need two new full backs too. I actually think we’re fine in attack especially with Buendia to come back and Diaby to hopefully do better next season but bringing in a high quality youngster like Gloukh would be very shrewd.

8 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Not the best but better than City and Newcastle dominating the league until the end of time

Based on wealth of owners we’re like 4th or 5th richest in the league so we’d do very well if FFP was scrapped too. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Based on wealth of owners we’re like 4th or 5th richest in the league so we’d do very well if FFP was scrapped too. 

Not totally convinced about that. Our owners are shrewd businessmen, not oligarchs or nation states.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Not the best but better than City and Newcastle dominating the league until the end of time

I'm sorry to break it to you, but Man City have dominated the league until the end of time already.

And then you have 3-4 other clubs that will always be just behind City. 

• Like 2

City are doing well because of Pep.

Chelsea have spent billions and are average

Man Utd have spent billions and are average

Liverpool doing well because of Klopp

Arsenal doing well at the moment is it sustainable.

Spurs a bit like us.

Newcastle a bit like us

Brighton punching above their weight

I would back Unai to mold us into champions if allowed it would not take billions.  He just needs to able to keep his best players and add one or two.

Money only gets you so far its the infrastructure and team behind the scenes that propels clubs forward.

The fact its not a level playing field needs to be looked at.  It never will be with oil states but clubs should be able to grow somehow.  Current rules protect those clubs that benefitted prior to the rules coming in.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Leeroy said:

That assumes they are willing to lose a tonne of money which I don't think they are. Our owners don't have ulterior motives like sports washing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, S-Platt said:

I would back Unai to mold us into champions if allowed it would not take billions.  He just needs to able to keep his best players and add one or two.

adding one or two would not make us title contenders, we would need a wholesale squad restructure. 

• Like 1

Don’t want to go off topic but if FFP got scrapped Newcastle and City really would have dream teams. The money thrown at past it players in the Saudi league shows this. It would be pretty ridiculous. 

I hate FFP but without it there is no club competing with oil states! 

Now back on topic I’ve said before I can see a bit of a reset coming in the next few years for over inflated transfer fees and maybe even wages.  To be fair I think it’s overdue.  Hopefully we can make Champs league and the income from that when help out spending.

• Like 2

Â