Morgan Rogers

Pongo Waring

1 hour ago, meregreen said:

Not at all. His performance levels have markedly improved .

Also Monchi has had another 6 months to review our recruitment strategies and conduct the scouting / analysis that he wants to prioritise (with Emery).  Maybe if Monchi had been signed at the same time as Emery, Rogers would have been on our summer hit list.  Maybe he wouldn't.

18 minutes ago, allani said:

Also Monchi has had another 6 months to review our recruitment strategies and conduct the scouting / analysis that he wants to prioritise (with Emery).  Maybe if Monchi had been signed at the same time as Emery, Rogers would have been on our summer hit list.  Maybe he wouldn't.

Lange & Leith would’ve built a huge data pool of players before they left and now add in Monchi’s scouting knowledge, Trivedi’s insights and as you say Monchi has had the time to review and add to this ever expanding list, Rogers will be a well established target based on more than a game and a good 6 months at Boro. Add to this Hopcroft & Harrison’s intimate inside knowledge of Roger’s early development, attitude, ability to adapt and  potential. I don’t get why anyone would doubt his potential signing 

• Like 2

All these people saying it's not weird that we didn't go for him in the summer because he's stepped up a level since...

1) it's been 6 months, or 5 months of actual football. Has he stepped up a level? Or just been playing football regularly? Those are separate things 

2) and more importantly, are you trying to say our interest stems from him "stepping up a level"? Our head of youth worked with him previously at West Brom. We've got highly paid scouts tracking these players over much longer periods than 6 months. There's no way he wasn't already on some list somewhere 

He was steal at £1.5m and now we're being shafted because of a sell on fee. It stands to reason we should have taken a punt at that sort of money, it's less than we sold Finn Azaz for FFS.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Alway wondered what was involved in “preparing” a bid? What is the recipe? What are the ingredients? How long does it take? 🤔 

It's like preparing a wall for painting, you've gotta lather it in other substances first and let it settle before finishing the work.

So basically our bid is marinating right now.

20 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Always wondered what was involved in “preparing” a bid? What is the recipe? What are the ingredients? How long does it take? 🤔 

You have to buy some lumber and hire a carpenter to build the table to put the bid on. That's the delay and why you often see the headline <club x> is preparing to table a bid for <player y>. 

Edited by villa89
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, useless said:

Thats like saying why didn't we buy Cash the summer before, he would have cost a couple of million at the most, or Watkins who would have been around £10m at the most, both were revelations in their new positions, so ended up costing a lot more, and something similar has happened with Rogers, because of the good season he's having, together with how young he is, he's now worth more than MIddlesbrough paid for him

Depending on who you ask, Middlesbrough fans only feel he's come good in the last 2 months.

Are we that short-term that we decide to pay £13.5m more than we could have 6 months ago based on a handful of good performances? 

You can't have it every which way, and either way you want to look at it, it's a pretty bad way to do business.

• Confused 4

7 minutes ago, est1874 said:

All these people saying it's not weird that we didn't go for him in the summer because he's stepped up a level since...

1) it's been 6 months, or 5 months of actual football. Has he stepped up a level? Or just been playing football regularly? Those are separate things 

2) and more importantly, are you trying to say our interest stems from him "stepping up a level"? Our head of youth worked with him previously at West Brom. We've got highly paid scouts tracking these players over much longer periods than 6 months. There's no way he wasn't already on some list somewhere 

He was steal at £1.5m and now we're being shafted because of a sell on fee. It stands to reason we should have taken a punt at that sort of money, it's less than we sold Finn Azaz for FFS.

It's possible / probable that he was on a list.  But maybe our priorities have changed in the last 6 months?  Maybe there's more evidence to support his case now?  If he becomes a first team regular then I am less fussed about us possibly spending £10m than £1.5m than I am on signing him for £10m rather than for £30-40m if he improves to the level we clearly think he can in the next 12-24 months or so.

• Like 1

I've said before in this thread I knew next to nothing about him before our interest became known and I'd imagine that goes for the vast majority of us. The longer this pursuit goes on though and the fact that we aren't being deterred and keep going back rather than going elsewhere makes me more convinced that it will be worthwhile. 

15 mill is not a great deal of money but if reports/rumours are true then it may be a fair chunk of what we have available this window. For people of the calibre of Emery and Monchi to therefore choose to spend that money on Rogers and, despite the continual knock backs not look elsewhere, more than suggests they see plenty in him. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

So does that mean it wasn't our third and final offer. I never understand why people use the phrase "final" when negotiating. It's basically bollox

yeah but our next offer is the final FINAL offer.....ok?

• Like 1

Feels like we’ve got to the point like haggling in the market on holiday abroad where you walk away saying “OK no deal” and they come running after you begging you to buy. 

From what little I have seen of Middlesborough’s financial position they probably need our money. 

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

Alway wondered what was involved in “preparing” a bid? What is the recipe? What are the ingredients? How long does it take? 🤔 

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

We have to open the war chest. I hope Boro have braced themselves.

• Like 1

Â