Jose Mourinho

Dillon66

Was appointed, got Roma their first trophy in 11 years in his first season, spent almost nothing in the following years due to FFP (loans and frees), then got to Europa League Final, maintaining a 50% win rate in all competitions and top 6 league finishes. 

Sacked halfway through the season 9th in the league, and still in Europa League.

Football has gone bonkers. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Give him the England job

There's no chance the FA would move from Southgate the yes man to Mourinho. Only last summer he was chasing the ref through the car park after the Europa final.

It'd be brilliant if they did though.

Edited by Jonesy7211
typo

9 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Was appointed, got Roma their first trophy in 11 years in his first season, spent almost nothing in the following years due to FFP (loans and frees), then got to Europa League Final, maintaining a 50% win rate in all competitions and top 6 league finishes. 

Sacked halfway through the season 9th in the league, and still in Europa League.

Football has gone bonkers. 

Yeah, it’s odd. I was in Rome last year and the fans absolutely worshipped him. I had a great chat with a cabbie who said he was adored by everyone. Seems like a big shift, if it’s true he’s been shown the door. 

2 hours ago, Mic09 said:

I don't understand the Mourinho hate other than the fact his football is a bit 2010.

He's annoying as ****. Was a bit entertaining in the early years but latterly just piss annoying like Klopp 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Avfc96 said:

Wouldn't surprise me to see him turn up in Saudi for one last payday.

No club in Europe will go anywhere near him, he's toxic, plays shit football and p***** off nearly every player he manages and for the last 14 years he hasn't been anywhere near as successful as he was in the 2000's.

Since he left Inter in 2010, he's only won two league titles and hasn't reached the CL semi-finals since 2014. He's also only won one trophy since 2017.

Which is still more than about 98% of all other managers... During that period I would have taken him over McLeish, Lambert, Sherwood, Garde, Di Matteo or Bruce.... 🙂  Of all the managers at ManUre since Ferguson left, he won the most trophies (2).

Yes, he's lost some of his edge, but still a very good manager.

19 minutes ago, FLVillan said:

Which is still more than about 98% of all other managers... During that period I would have taken him over McLeish, Lambert, Sherwood, Garde, Di Matteo or Bruce.... 🙂  Of all the managers at ManUre since Ferguson left, he won the most trophies (2).

Yes, he's lost some of his edge, but still a very good manager.

2003-2010:

6 League Titles

5 Domestic Cups

2 Champions Leagues

1 Uefa Cup

2010- Present:

2 League Titles

3 Domestic Cups

1 Europa League

1 Conference League

Edited by Avfc96

3 hours ago, Mic09 said:

I don't understand the Mourinho hate other than the fact his football is a bit 2010.

I challenge anyone to name 6 more successful managers over the last 20 years. 

Off the top of my head;

1. Ancelotti

2. Zidane 

3. Guardiola

4. Klopp

5. Ferguson 

anyone else? 

Agent Rooney.

12 minutes ago, Avfc96 said:

2003-2010:

6 League Titles

5 Domestic Cups

2 Champions Leagues

1 Uefa Cup

2010- Present:

2 League Titles

3 Domestic Cups

1 Europa League

1 Conference League

Same amount of trophies as Jurgen Klopp since 2010

I saw rumours and in a way it makes sense that he might end up back at Chelsea

Boehly seems like he would appoint a populist choice though they have a lot younger players than Mourinho is used to

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

He's annoying as ****. Was a bit entertaining in the early years but latterly just piss annoying like Klopp 

Ok, I should have clarified. Mourinho is very annoying. But I am putting that to one side, and would like to discuss his footballing merit.

And it seems to me people question that aspect, and I don't understand why/how. 

I'd have been calling for him years ago to get the England job. Trophy winner exactly what you need in tournaments.

...but not know. He's finished. Toxic arsehole lost all his charisma and personality. 

Doesn't even win anymore.

Feels like the stars aligning with the England job, the FA will be under huge pressure to do it if he's still available 

And you know what I think he might have it in him to do well too, the players are there 

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Feels like the stars aligning with the England job, the FA will be under huge pressure to do it if he's still available 

And you know what I think he might have it in him to do well too, the players are there 

Are you outside of your mind? That would be the biggest left turn the FA have ever taken, would be insanity.

The England squad is a bastion of togetherness right now and love him or hate him Southgate is the reason. Mourinho would shit all over that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Same amount of trophies as Jurgen Klopp since 2010

I've said before in the Liverpool thread that I think Klopp has underachieved in regards to his trophy count at Liverpool.

But Mourinho has now been fired from his last five jobs, two of which are the biggest in world football. 

He was brilliant in his heyday of 2003-2010, but he never evolved.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Avfc96 said:

2003-2010:

6 League Titles

5 Domestic Cups

2 Champions Leagues

1 Uefa Cup

2010- Present:

2 League Titles

3 Domestic Cups

1 Europa League

1 Conference League

That 2010-present haul is still bloody good by any measure. More league titles than our own highly regarded manager for starters. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Avfc96 said:

2003-2010:

6 League Titles

5 Domestic Cups

2 Champions Leagues

1 Uefa Cup

2010- Present:

2 League Titles

3 Domestic Cups

1 Europa League

1 Conference League

Yes an absolute disparity - which can very easily be explained by him being at Chelsea in the earlier time period, who at that time were spending more money than anyone else by a significant margin, basically the equivalent of what Man City are now.  I hardly think that we can categorize him as a bad manager with seven trophies in 12 seasons.  Other than Guardiola and Ancellotti I'd struggle to come up with a manager in Europe who has won more league titles in that time period. Klopp maybe?  He's won one with the Dippers, not sure what he won with Dortmund before the Dippers. 

At ManUre he won trophies despite the obvious huge problems that club has had under the ownership in what was easily their best spell since Ferguson left.  At Spuds he was about to compete in the league cup final - his successor there (Conte) simply proved the points he had clearly made while there.  He went to Roma, a club that has always been a tier below the elite clubs in Italy (Milan x 2, Juventus) and secured their first trophy in over ten years. 

I love Unai and think he's a step above and I would take him all day long over Mourinho.  Having said that, if you had said to me in 2010 that we can bring in a manager that will win us 7 trophies in the next 12 seasons....

Â