If football replaced wars, how would our world look today?

Marka Ragnos

Posted (edited)

What would our world be like if countries and factions were forced in an organised manner to resolve geo-political conflicts on the football pitch?

Who would be the winners? Who would lose? How would our world look today? What countries would be "superpowers" and what superpowers might collapse? 

Israel versus a Palestinian state? It goes to the 90-minute world judiciary. Russia vs. Ukraine? A two-leg tournament, and that's it.

This is one of those alternative history/alt-universe obsessions I can't seem to rid myself of. I don't mean to trivialise the seriousness of the conflicts and the pain and suffering underneath them, but these conflicts also seem so wasteful of human life and resources, and it doesn't get me to think a bit about whatever happened to peace, love, and understanding as a goal -- no pun intended -- in and of itself.

[Note to mods: wasn't sure if this belonged in Other Football or Off-Topic. Feel free to move!]

Edited by Marka Ragnos

Posted (edited)

There would be a lot more German speakers in the world than there are now. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Questions -

1. Are alliances allowed?  I am pretty sure that a NATO team would beat a Russia/China/North Korea/Iran team.  But a Brazil/Argentina alliance would be tricky.  

2. Are France allowed to forfeit the match after 15 minutes and leave the UK to see out the rest of the first half until the US to arrive at half time? 

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

For the briefest of respites, the seemingly endless football ceased on Christmas Day 1914 and men from both sides put aside their differences to celebrate the festive season, by choosing to kill each other with whatever weaponry was available to them at the time. 

Once the Christmas bloodshed had finished, the men returned to the futility of the football with a few of the players finding a quiet moment to reflect on their situation in the form of poetry.

I very much enjoyed this @Mark Albrighton, bravo! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Vietnam beat the US by building a series of small interconnecting tunnels that emerge in the US goal.  

Switzerland passes a law that makes it compulsory for every male over 18 to keep football boots at home. 

North Korea v South Korea has a halftime break of 50 years. 

Israel v HAMAS begins well for the visiting team.   But after a bright start they beg for halftime to be imposed after 10 minutes.  

Italy change ends at half time.  Just like WW2. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

For the briefest of respites, the seemingly endless football ceased on Christmas Day 1914 and men from both sides put aside their differences to celebrate the festive season, by choosing to kill each other with whatever weaponry was available to them at the time. 

Once the Christmas bloodshed had finished, the men returned to the futility of the football with a few of the players finding a quiet moment to reflect on their situation in the form of poetry.

Early contender for POTY. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, fruitvilla said:

How would the world look?

Hide contents

St Andrew's?

St Andrews is the control - it looks the same in either situation.

We could beat USA, take back control, ditch their Electoral College stupid thing, ban the guns, save the Women’s Health and get rid of the useless self enriching US politicians.  Ollie Watkins to score the winner for England.

Â