Match Thread: UECL6: Zrinjski v Villa

limpid

Unfortunately football isn't just about entertainment these days, and whether fans have woke up early or travelled thousands of miles.

We are going to be patient and controlled against a stubborn side. No doubt Unai won't be happy with the quality but we aren't going to turn up a gear or take risks when all we need us a draw. Unai knows more than anyone that these games are more about preserving energy, testing tactical approaches, and game states. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, allani said:

Even if we lose they need to make up at a GD of 3.  So it only makes a difference if we lose 2-0.

Is that right? 

I thought if points are level it goes on the head to head scores first? 

• Like 1

That wasn't all part of Emery's plan, he will want to see much better than that, carry on like this and there's a danger of them catching us off guard and grabbing a goal on the break or from a set-piece, we need to do more to score a goal two to make sure we're the winners. Need to see Ramsey do more, playing it too simple, come on champ you're brilliant at running with the ball, Zaniolo too, Zaniolo showed fleeting glimpses, come on you too DIaby, give us something to carol about.

Just now, TheStagMan said:

We are qualified for the next stage.

Winning or drawing this means we get to skip it.

If we finish second and lose the playoff then we aren't qualified for the knockout stage, which is what matters isn't it??

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

We finish 2nd

I don't think that is correct.  If we lose 1-0 and Legia win 2-0 (or they win 1-0 and we lose 2-0) then we have a matching goal difference and I am pretty sure that we would be top because we have scored more away goals (Criteria 7 in the qualification rules than them).  If we lose 1-0 and they win 3-1 then I think it might be different.

18 minutes ago, JoshVilla said:

So slow as well. We had a good chance for a quick counter attack and we basically stopped and let them get everyone back into position. You can tell that we're already qualified.

Diaby was hurt but whoever he passed it to didn't carry the ball

If O'Reilly could translate his U21 abilities to this level then he would be exactlyt the type of player we need on the pitch. Probably only going to get on if we roar into a commanding lead though

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Is that right? 

I thought if points are level it goes on the head to head scores first? 

The head-to-head is equal and so the first 3 qualifying criteria are effectively now irrelevant.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Villan_of_oz said:

If we finish second and lose the playoff then we aren't qualified for the knockout stage, which is what matters isn't it??

Fecks sake, we ARE qualified for the knockout stage. We are trying to skip the first knockout round by winning or drawing.

If we don't win this we are not out of the competition as the teams that finish 3rd and 4th will be. 

Just now, useless said:

If O'Reilly could translate his U21 abilities to this level then he would be exactlyt the type of player we need on the pitch. Probably only going to get on if we roar into a commanding lead though

Is Kellyman injured?