maqroll

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Can't see it. Zaniolo hasn't played since his dismal showing at Bournemouth in the league. Emery won't start him ahead of Ramsey. Even a poor Ramsey is better than a fit Zaniolo. 
I'd genuinely start Traore ahead of Zaniolo on recent performances. 

Poor Ramsey against a fit Zaniolo, only one of them had a positive impact last night 

If Bailey and Tielemans are both out,  I'd go;          

Martinez

Konsa.   Carlos.    Pau.     

Cash.                                            Moreno.

Kamara.    McGinn.

Diaby.              Watkins.            Ramsey. 

Pretty flexible this, but more likely Cash RM ahead of Konsa as a 442.

A fair bit of running power up top.

Confident McGinn can step in centrally and drive us on.

I got 1-1 right last night so I'll stick with a 1-3 Villa win.

• Like 1

Have we ever won down there in living memory?

All three championship games were defeats and since they came up we took the lead and still lost under Slippy. Then last season we had to battle for a 1-1 with late Doug goal and that was a huge point in the end.

This is our best chance by a long way. No Toney, no Mbuemo and not sure if Mathias Jensen is still out but he's a decent goal threat from midfield.

I think there's a decent chance we keep our first away clean sheet since September and get a pretty rare regulation away win. I'll go for 0-2 and an early goal in our favour for once on the road.

On 14/12/2023 at 00:05, Adman said:

I think we'll struggle to get into top gear here.  No luiz, Thursday game, just beaten two top sides, away form not as strong, we're the villa. Everything telling me a loss I'm afraid

We win away regularly in London at least these days. Already won at Chelsea and Spurs so let's not make out Brentford missing half their regular starting 11 is some impossible team to beat.

It was a very good time to play Spurs when we did and we duly secured a crucial three points, same again here I think and it should be more comfortable.

Frank will certainly set them up to low block and he'll be happy with a 0-0 I suspect. We need to make sure we defend set pieces well as they have big units like Pinnock capable of scoring.

On 14/12/2023 at 01:39, Tomaszk said:

This fixture on paper is a difficult one.

It is a fact, they're very weak right at this point. Missing a lot of key men.

I would probably take a point. Don't think Unai Emery will.

Wonder who takes a pen if we get one. Sorry Ollie, still don't want you near them. I'd be comfortable with any of Digne, Pau, Carlos, Tielemans, McGinn or JJ taking one.

Good question. I'd say SJM will be next in line, slotted one away nicely for Scotland in last international break.

6 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

Bailey and Tielemans a doubt for this game.

Gonna be tough now.

Diaby will just come back in. And Ramsey probably has enough in his tank to start a game.

I've got a feeling Dendoncker starts this. He should be o.k given they have units like Janelt and Norgaard so he'll relish the duels with them and there's clearly some reasoning behind Emery suddenly giving him serious minutes in games after months of bench warming so I think he's been earmarked for a start in this as soon as Luiz got a ban.

Different style but everyone on here would take a gritty 1-0 and then we go back to turning on the style as normal at VP which seem a pretty good formula.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TRO said:

you are right Sheepy.

I think we can more or less predict, what teams will pose us difficulties....Brentford pretty well have an identity, of being physical.

I don't want us to change our style,far from it....but I would like to see, maybe an addition to come in to the squad, whoc could help us with those type of teams.

We saw the difference how a motivated John McGinn effected us last night, but he can't do it every game on his own, he needs some help with it.....I would still like to see a durable midfielder come in with the obvious talent to Boot.

Our team now, cannot function without fleet footed footballers,now,  so to find one with steel too, is hard, I know....but I think we need one more...a Gareth Barry type.

With the physical aspect in mind, I would be tempted to play the "Donk," he may not be everyone's cup of tea, but he doesn't shy away from a tackle. 

Any chance of banning twitter links in the post match thread?

Its not as if anyone can’t go and actually read them on, you know, twitter (or X or whatever).

it’s like some posters are just doing it to boost their post count. I’d rather read people’s comments , not a link to some rando on Musk’s platform.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

Win this and we probably go top of the league next Friday. It’s another huge test for this wonderful team. 

I would love to go top of the league even if its just for a few hours!

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

I would love to go top of the league even if its just for a few hours!

I think it’s incredibly important for the future of the club actually. If you are top of the league at the end of any game day that’s only going to help to attract the calibre of players that we need to improve us.