maqroll

On 13/12/2023 at 06:27, maqroll said:

They don't seem to have the same cutting edge from previous seasons. If we are truly "title contenders", this is a game we need to bag maximum points from.

Seems a good opportunity to shore up our away record.

I think we are about to go on another goal scoring tear.

We are only Title contenders due to the position in the table.....We are not realistic title winners, over 38 games, and we shouldn't put that pressure on the team or ourselves.

The second half of the season, relies heavily on the quality of the second tier in all squads....Hence City, Arsenal and Liverpool, all the old stalwarts, are favoured for that prize.

We can and should enjoy the ride....but lets not be disappointed when the inevitable comes calling, because we are doing great.

We can't win titles with our away form, finishing in the top 4 would be great for me.

• Like 2

--------------------------Martinez----------------------------
Konsa------Carlos--------Torres------------Moreno
Bailey-------Kamara------McGinn---------Ramsey
--------------------Diaby----------------------------------------
----------------------------Watkins----------------------------

Would be my team. I can see an argument for playing Tielemans centrally but I don't think he plays well as a two in there. McGinn is much more solid and we also have two ball carriers wide then. 
It's about time we re-ignited that Moreno-Ramsey left side and watch teams crumble around us. 

Cash-------Kamara------McGinn---------Ramsey

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

I'd probably go with this if Tielemans and Bailey are out tbf. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TRO said:

We are not realistic title winners, over 38 games.

The cynical Villa fan in me would usually agree with that statement. Here's the thing, though. We are in 2nd place over the entire calendar year, but even closer to first place on points in the actual current season, and Man City are not as good this year. I think I've waited too long for this. I'm jumping in with both feet.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

This team should be able to beat Brentford away. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, maqroll said:

This team should be able to beat Brentford away. 

If Luiz was in that side, you'd simply move McGinn to the right and he would slot in alongside Kamara and one might argue that's our strongest XI. Little harsh on Bailey but I still think he's deadly when coming on after 60 minutes rather than being a starter. 

15 minutes ago, maqroll said:

The cynical Villa fan in me would usually agree with that statement. Here's the thing, though. We are in 2nd place over the entire calendar year, but even closer to first place on points in the actual current season, and Man City are not as good this year. I think I've waited too long for this. I'm jumping in with both feet.

and feel free to do so, I have no intention of telling you how to enjoy yourself.....and so far, I am too.

What happened last week is mind blowing.... 2 back to back wins with clean sheets against the top 2 teams, fantasy stuff.

but the Marathon, requires, further qualities....it really is arduous.

I think our team, can beat anyone on their day.....anyone....but the long haul, is a different story.

analogy.....You can take a Maserati, to London.....but maybe a Land/Range Rover is required for Bejing.

We have some eye catching players, but in certain games ( maybe away) we require a more containing type of player.

We are still WIP, we mustn't forget that.

Edited by TRO

1 minute ago, TRO said:

and feel free to do so, I have no intention of telling you how to enjoy yourself.....and so far, I am too.

What happened last week is mind blowing.... 2 back to back wins with clean sheets against the top 2 teams, fantasy stuff.

but the Marathon, requires, further qualities....it really is arduous.

I think our team, can beat anyone on their day.....anyone....but the long haul, is a different story.

You can take a Maserati, to London.....but maybe a Land/Range Rover is required for Bejing.

We have some eye catching players, but in certain games ( maybe away) we require a more containing type of player.

We are still WIP, we mustn't forget that.

The Conference League/Premier League balancing act will be the big factor. I hope Emery gets it right.

This is a colossal test of very great magnitude, so many injuries, the kind of game we've struggled in previously, see Forest, Wolves, and Bournemouth, and similar in the cups, we haven't beat them away from home since 1953 the last time we beat them away from home in the league was a 2-0 win in 1947 with Trevor Ford at the double, we're on a good run, they're on a not so good run, these kind of runs come to an end, whenever a team gets hyped up in the media, usually what happens next is that they're brought back down to earth with reality checking defeat, if we can overcome all and win then we will be well on the beam.

Bailey and Tielemans somewhere between a doubt and a late fitness test. No Dougie or Digne. Not ideal away at a tough Brentford side.

This isn't the lineup I would go for but I think Unai will go with my less than ideal defensive formation again.

Emi

Konsa Diego Pau Moreno

Cash Kamara McGinn Zaniolo

Diaby Watkins

35 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Bailey and Tielemans somewhere between a doubt and a late fitness test. No Dougie or Digne. Not ideal away at a tough Brentford side.

This isn't the lineup I would go for but I think Unai will go with my less than ideal defensive formation again.

Emi

Konsa Diego Pau Moreno

Cash Kamara McGinn Zaniolo

Diaby Watkins

No way Zaniolo starts ahead of Ramsey 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Ramsey has been poor since coming back from his long injury lay off to be fair. Not sure if he’s just rusty and not fully fit yet, or struggling to get back in the groove.

11 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I would start Ramsey but Zaniolo has been more fit. Can imagine Zaniolo starting just to throw himself around for a bit and then have Ramsey in as the substitute to see out the game.

6 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

I would start Ramsey but Zaniolo has been more fit. Can imagine Zaniolo starting just to throw himself around for a bit and then have Ramsey in as the substitute to see out the game.

Can't see it. Zaniolo hasn't played since his dismal showing at Bournemouth in the league. Emery won't start him ahead of Ramsey. Even a poor Ramsey is better than a fit Zaniolo. 
I'd genuinely start Traore ahead of Zaniolo on recent performances. 

I only saw the highlights yesterday but Zaniolo looked our most threatening player and the control for his goal was lovely.

i know Ramsey is one of our own but he should be treated like anyone else and he’s been way off it since he’s come back from injury, either losing the ball or just not getting into threatening positions. I wouldn’t be surprised if Zaniolo starts over him at all.

• Like 1