Very British Problems

mjmooney

9 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Society.

Community.

People that can endure and possibly benefit from human interaction.

Luddites that think amazon drone delivery of an avocado might not be the best direction of travel for a town.

Queuing for self service is good for human interaction? I can't even imagine what the community benefits might be. I can take the time I've saved and go and have a chat with the people working in the coffee shop.

Luddite is not the same as averse to change. Doing the same thing over and over (moaning optional) when there is a better alternative is averse to change. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

The in car wave, its not in the highway code, but if you don't do it if you let someone through or out, basically you are Hitler.

But it's true! A true Englishman (TM) or Britisher acknowledges the effort done by others to make their life easier. It can be literally just lifting a finger.

If you don't you are a selfish word removed who NEVER acknowledges the benefit you get from others' efforts, but just takes. Take take take, that's all you are. You probably go fly tipping, because then it ain't your problem anymore. Or steal other people's free recycling bags because you can't be arsed to order them, but they're free, so it doesn't matter, right? You ARE Hitler.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, limpid said:

Queuing for self service is good for human interaction? I can't even imagine what the community benefits might be. I can take the time I've saved and go and have a chat with the people working in the coffee shop.

Luddite is not the same as averse to change. Doing the same thing over and over (moaning optional) when there is a better alternative is averse to change. 

No, queuing for self service is not good for human interaction, that was my point. We’ve been conned in to queuing for self service to enhance the profits of others. We don’t get the human contact, the staff may no longer be staff. Less jobs, less community. 

But plenty of obscene profit for race to the bottom delivery franchises that want to fill the pavements with electric bikes and fill the air with drones.

I’m just not sure we’re heading in the right direction here, it’s all a bit of a mundane dystopia. I’m more of a 15 minute city future, kind of guy.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

No, queuing for self service is not good for human interaction, that was my point. We’ve been conned in to queuing for self service to enhance the profits of others. We don’t get the human contact, the staff may no longer be staff. Less jobs, less community. 

But plenty of obscene profit for race to the bottom delivery franchises that want to fill the pavements with electric bikes and fill the air with drones.

I’m just not sure we’re heading in the right direction here, it’s all a bit of a mundane dystopia. I’m more of a 15 minute city future, kind of guy.

Those delivery bikes/drones running off electric are surely more environmentally friendly than going to the shop in an average ICE car with 1 or 2 shoppers?

FWIW I don't use delivery services like Deliveroo or anything, although our weekly shop is delivered.  But again, that's more environmentally friendly than me driving to the shop. 

13 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Those delivery bikes/drones running off electric are surely more environmentally friendly than going to the shop in an average ICE car with 1 or 2 shoppers?

FWIW I don't use delivery services like Deliveroo or anything, although our weekly shop is delivered.  But again, that's more environmentally friendly than me driving to the shop. 

You’ve highlighted the one line about electric bikes, but not the line about 15 minute cities. 

Lot’s of trips of a few miles to do top up orders at the supermarket where you queue for self serve are awful for the environment, yes. 

VBPs are almost always to do with social awkwardness and embarrassment. Or things that seem absurd or trivial to non-natives, such as finding the ideal biscuits for dunking in tea. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

I’ve never understood the hate for self checkouts. It’s like pining after the good old days where there was never any queues… but of course there was then.

Local tesco express and local co-op both have 2 or 3 and there is always one of them free. Easy peasy, out of the store in no time.

Even at a very busy Asda there’s about 20 self checkouts and if there’s any wait then it’s just a few seconds.

If people choose to queue to see the cashier so they stick it to the man then it’s good news for me.

Edited by Genie

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Had a classic British situation an hour or so ago.

I have today off work (using up some annual leave) so was giving the car a quick wash. 
Old couple from 2 doors down are approaching…

you know what happens next:

Hide contents

a0e58ade2c6194dc4951f930dd7effe59f45deb1

Perfect VBP, and I knew every detail of what would be in the spoiler before I clicked it. Solid gold.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

Perfect VBP, and I knew every detail of what would be in the spoiler before I clicked it. Solid gold.

I absolutely 100% knew one of them would say it as they approached, it’s like an unwritten British law. 

Thank goodness the EU didn’t scrap it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, limpid said:

When I need something quick, Sainsburys Local has their SmartShop app so I don't even go near the tills. Scan item, put it in my bag, pay with Google Pay as I walk out of the door.

4 hours ago, Genie said:

I’ve never understood the hate for self checkouts.

These are two solutions with the same intention but one is so much better than the other (if you shop for more than a packet of crisps). The bad is is the one that involves putting all your stuff in a basket/trolley, unloading all your stuff from the basket/trolley for scanning, putting everything back in a bag in your basket/trolley.

The good one is scan the shelf/item, put in bag, pay.

edit: And I dont agree with putting people out work, there are way more staff now running around packing bags for the online shoppers now. People just shift sideways
and Im not singling out you quoted people, I just needed the context :)

Edited by Tegis
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

These are not British problems. Almost every one is applicable here too.

Waving in a car definitely is, 'cause no one thanks anyone for anything while driving in Poland.

Except for me that is - I'm trying to change the mentality you see, one wave at a time. Wish me luck.

I even wave thanks when on foot at a pedestrian crossing and it's my right away of, I'm just that nice. You probably wouldn't have stopped though, right? :D

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Isn’t it just british exceptionalism to think other cultures don’t over think their cookies, or nod to each other on a mountain pass?

I think its as much about the "British" agonise over whether to say hello to a stranger on  a mountain pass , most others probably don't give it a second though ...if a stranger talks to you over here , you assume they are about to steal your wallet or they've escaped from an asylum 

Hungary you say Hello when you walk into a shop ..and bizarrely you say Hello again when you leave  ... its second nature to them to greet strangers  .. but they will never hold open a door for you or stand on the right hand side of an escalator to allow people to pass  , that concept is alien to them  ... different strokes and all that 

22 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

These are not British problems. Almost every one is applicable here too.

The main difference between Britain and Poland with these problems is that while they may be similar, the underlying psychology is slightly different.

The checkout issue is the same. But while a British person might think 'this might be an awkward inconvenience' and will say 'you alright bab' with a smile on their face (even if they don't mean it), a polish person will think 'you prick' and say something dismissive.*

*this is a wide generalisation 

Which takes me to another British problem - a country wide 'niceness' to the point where it is almost unthought of to speak your opinion or question the other person. 

I don’t think it’s unique to brits to feel a bit awkward in a given situation. I’m not sure there are many uniquely British social etiquette problems (cue the talk of empire).

All that being said, running into someone who is vaguely an acquaintance and not knowing what to say. As displayed below (includes swearing) -

Edited by Mark Albrighton

2 hours ago, Mic09 said:

Which takes me to another British problem - a country wide 'niceness' to the point where it is almost unthought of to speak your opinion or question the other person. 

It would be interesting to compare with Japan - a country where social etiquette is even more ingrained than Britain. 

Â