Very British Problems

mjmooney

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

It would be interesting to compare with Japan - a country where social etiquette is even more ingrained than Britain. 

But that’s not British etiquette and so therefore doesn’t count, they’re just foreigners being foreign. 

Just now, DaveAV1 said:

But that’s not British etiquette and so therefore doesn’t count, they’re just foreigners being foreign. 

They’re both forgiven and additionally therefore have our sympathy. Because that’s polite. Which of course we are, bring British. 

On 10/12/2023 at 09:37, Mic09 said:

Putting the dividers between shopping in shops.

You unpack your shopping, no one else is around, and a lady comes to put down her yoghurt at the very end of the conveyer belt. 

There is a good 15 inches between your shopping and the lady's yoghurt, and any human being with an IQ above 45 knows where one lot ends and another starts,  however unless she grabs that little plastic divider she will likely explode. She will stretch all the way above your shopping, just to get the little plastic thing. 

In the above described circumstances, I refuse to pass one over. 

Sure, they are useful when it's packed. But 90% of the time they are not, yet a British person who doesn't put a clear dividing line between two shops will likely go into some sort of a panic attack. 

In Scandinavia the convention is for you to put the divider down at the back of your groceries rather than the front. 

I often catch an exasperated sigh as the person behind me has to get their own divider after I have forgotten again 😅

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

In Scandinavia the convention is for you to put the divider down at the back of your groceries rather than the front. 

I often catch an exasperated sigh as the person behind me has to get their own divider after I have forgotten again 😅

A blue passport will be on its way to you shortly. 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

That’s kind of how it should work, that’s the way I always do it. You were just rude in both countries :D 

Â