• Ramsey (Zaniolo 45)
    • Durán (McGinn 65)
    • Cash (Konsa 74)
    • Moreno (Digne 74)
    • Diaby (Bailey 74)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/12/23 at 23:59

15 minutes ago, est1874 said:

And also beat us 5-1.

Of course they're not going to win every game, but look at their current trajectory. They also might be out of the UCL soon if luck doesn't go their way which means their best players will be fitter to play harder in the league and they'll be a lot less likely to drop points to a Bournemouth again.

We're still going to drop a lot of points away from home, and I'd wager a lot more than them.

I’m not sure what is meant by “current trajectory” but if you go back to, say, the beginning of October, they have won 6, drawn 3 and lost 3, while we have won 8, drawn 2 and lost 1. So it looks like our “current trajectory” is maybe a little bit better.

• Like 2

It did seem a game where maybe the Thurs game caught up on us a bit, Bournemouth in general seemed to have more energy. We also missed Kamara for clearing up  problems before they begin in midfield - both their goals, feel like they would've been situations where he might've snuffed the danger before they got in behind (yes I do recall he was at fault for a similar one then but usually he is the one who mops up).

Defence in general didn't seem quite on same wavelength. I can see the rationale for Konsa RB and adding Carlos, we do have to use squad and some more physical presence is useful against team like this - but there isn't the same understanding there yet. Konsa did okay, but did get drawn inside and they had joy down his side. 

Ultimately did well to come from behind twice and get a point out of it in the end, with two nice goals. Could look back on it as an important point as this could easily have been another Forest when we went 1 down early.

Ref was indeed poor. Just very very inconsistent. He gave probably couple of too soft yellows early on but then having set that standard didn't back it up and started letting same or worse things go.

what makes VAR so painful is that even after 5 minutes to make that offside decision, they can't show anything unambiguous because it appears totally arbitrary which frame and angle they have ultimately decided to draw the lines to decide. Punished us double because obviously it took the goal away, but also the absurd amount of time taken to make that decision killed the momentum at that point in the game and allowed Bournemouth space to regroup. If we have to suffer this dreck system, it should be allowed 60 secs absolute max.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

This thread is a bit of a disappointment as well. So critical and negative when we are having the best season in living memory. 

It’s a forum; if we all thought and posted the same it’d be **** boring, and people are going to get wound up losing to a team near the bottom of the league.Its a natural reaction.

Also in the quote above I’d say recent memory. It’s a superb season so far but not the best in (my and some other oldpharts) living memory.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Haven't watched the game yet -so won’t comment on that - was out at a concert this afternoon so was only able to keep in touch via bbc sport and VT match thread.

Have to say the match thread was a disgrace - seems we need to sell all the players and sack the manager because we had a game in a tough Thursday-Sunday sequence where we were a little jaded and had to hang in to get a point from a lively Bournemouth side who have nothing to focus on but league survival. I can guarantee under the last two managers we would have lost that and not had the issue of European matches to help explain it.

This thread is a bit of a disappointment as well. So critical and negative when we are having the best season in living memory. So many people saying we are “poor”. Somebody said in the match thread that we have been ”poor” since and including the Forest match. Well, we have won 4, drawn 1 and lost 1 during that time, so I conclude there is a very fine line between “poor” and “completely dominant”

Shame people can’t just relax and enjoy the excellent season we are having and the great goals we are creating - two more excellent ones today. And maybe be a bit more understanding of the stresses that Thursday-Sunday match sequences impose on a squad that has not had years and years of investment to create to sort of depth you really need to withstand those pressures. Personally, I think we are doing brilliantly.

The best season in living memory? What are you, 10 years old?

We've finished top 2 in my lifetime. Top 4 more recently. We've won cups. Mounted (albeit abortive and unlikely) title challenges until January time under Gregory and O'Neill.

Unai is undoubtedly a fantastic manager that we're lucky to have, and there is plenty to be positive about. But telling people who are disappointed with today's performance that it's the best season in living memory, on the 3rd of December after 14 matches, the day of a 2-2 draw with Bournemouth, is pathetic.

Edited by est1874
  • Like 1

Mr Brammal s part of an increasing cult of referees in the Premier League that seem to believe that any foul committed above the waist does not count.  

Mr. Brammal was repeatedly on the wrong side of the LOTG today, most often becuase of that mistaken dogma.  But AVFC is a professional team.  They should know the referees tendencies.  When the referee will not call it when a defender runs through and over a midfielder to get the ball (which Mr. Brammal has no interest in calling) a well prepared team needs to know that and NOT physically crumble on that pressure. Brace yourself for that impact.  Imitate SJM and roll that pushing, cheater off your backside and turn the ball away.  If the defender contacts you below the knee, the  you go down in hospital worthy evident misery.  Bournemouth knew this and did it to consistently.  Villa seem to be cluesless to this.

I hate it when poor referee decisions impact a match outcome.  But I hate it even more, when a professional team with all the resources in the world don't know how to scout and prepare for a referee's weaknesses.

2 of Bournemouth should have seen red (and possibly a third) for clear fouls.  But those fouls were above the waist (and not at the head) so they were ignored.  It's too clear a pattern from certain, and a growing number of referees, not to learn and be prepared.

23 minutes ago, est1874 said:

The best season in living memory? What are you, 10 years old?

We've finished top 2 in my lifetime. Top 4 more recently. We've won cups. Mounted (albeit abortive and unlikely) title challenges until January time under Gregory and O'Neill.

Unai is undoubtedly a fantastic manager that we're lucky to have, and there is plenty to be positive about. But telling people who are disappointed with today's performance that it's the best season in living memory, on the 3rd of December after 14 matches, the day of a 2-2 draw with Bournemouth, is pathetic.

oooo, you have messed up now.  You have accused the wrong VT member of short-timers disease.    😂😂😂

Just now, srsmithusa said:

oooo, you have messed up now.  You have accused the wrong VT member of short-timers disease.    😂😂😂

Well he's wrong, so hopefully he can account for suggesting this is our best season in living memory 😂

2 hours ago, est1874 said:

And also beat us 5-1.

Of course they're not going to win every game, but look at their current trajectory. They also might be out of the UCL soon if luck doesn't go their way which means their best players will be fitter to play harder in the league and they'll be a lot less likely to drop points to a Bournemouth again.

We're still going to drop a lot of points away from home, and I'd wager a lot more than them.

They're currently on 0.83 ppg away from home and we have 1.38 ppg. They've got 7 games to play between now and boxing day so it's quite likely that their play-style leads to more fatigue/more injuries before January. There's also every chance they will drop into the Europa League so won't be getting those midweeks off just yet.

Villa showed they were suffering from battle-fatigue in this one, which revealed itself with a lack of a spark and several lack-lustre performances.

This left us hoping for a favour from the referee, which was never going to be forthcoming.

Not Villa at their recent best but a precious point well earned.

Bournemouth obviously thought they'd done enough for all three points but Villa had other ideas.

2 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

They're currently on 0.83 ppg away from home and we have 1.38 ppg. They've got 7 games to play between now and boxing day so it's quite likely that their play-style leads to more fatigue/more injuries before January. There's also every chance they will drop into the Europa League so won't be getting those midweeks off just yet.

I think the prospect of Benzema, Neves, Neymar and Mane joining in January will pep them up. 

• Haha 1

Just now, MakemineVanilla said:

Villa showed they were suffering from battle-fatigue in this one, which revealed itself with a lack of a spark and several lack-lustre performances.

This left us hoping for a favour from the referee, which was never going to be forthcoming.

Not Villa at their recent best but a precious point well earned.

Bournemouth obviously thought they'd done enough for all three points but Villa had other ideas.

Our lack of physicality in some areas in a number of away games has been quite stark. Zaniolo and Tielemans today especially got outfought a lot, I thought. It was a similar story vs. Nottingham Forest where their midfield 2 just shoved our players off the ball. It seems easy to disrupt our game away from home this way. Not sure what the solution is if we want to have skilful ball players in there rather than 'an enforcer'. If only Dendoncker wasn't terrible, a player of his ilk might be useful in these more physical away games.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

The Watkins shot second half VAR looked at a potential hand ball … and in doing so decided to over look the defender trying to rip Watkins shirt off his back … the only option next time presumably is for Watkins to hit the deck there and not get the shot off 

I know! That's precisely the instance I was thinking of, too. Just unbelievable. 

Bournemouth XG: 2.55; Villa XG: 0.90. Another poor performance on the road. It's something that really needs to improve if we are to stay in the top 4 all season especially against the bottom half teams. 2 points from Wolves, Forest and Bournemouth is awful. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Dreading how much people are going to throw their toys out if the Arsenal and Man City games don't end up with some surprise points for us. The fanbase has quickly become very, very spoiled.

The hedonic treadmill/hedonic adaptation. People can’t help it, it’s just science!