High Line ..Pros and Cons

MWARLEY2

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

That rule should make it simpler to make decisions but it’s a pretty big change to how the game is played and will take time for teams to adapt. It will also make teams sit deeper leading to tighter less entertaining games. It’s not a good move. 

It’s also part of the stupid agenda to try and give attackers every possible benefit and to marginalize the defensive beauty of the game so that games end up in a stupid 6-7 score line because “that’s entertainment”.

Give me an epic and fair battle between defence and attack any day. 

3 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

It’s also part of the stupid agenda to try and give attackers every possible benefit and to marginalize the defensive beauty of the game so that games end up in a stupid 6-7 score line because “that’s entertainment”.

Give me an epic and fair battle between defence and attack any day. 

Which is counter-intuitive because as soon as attack has such an unfair advantage there becomes a great advantage in ultra defensive play because you can shave more of the margin off. 

On 23/11/2023 at 14:10, TomC said:

Exactly. As I've said before, the best way to simplify the rule is to judge it based only on foot position.

All players now wear sports bibs with sensors in.  Why can't they just use that instead of stupid lines?  If the attackers sensor is forward of the defenders, its a very quick offside decision once you identify when the ball is played

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Adman said:

All players now wear sports bibs with sensors in.  Why can't they just use that instead of stupid lines?  If the attackers sensor is forward of the defenders, its a very quick offside decision once you identify when the ball is played

some teams would move the position of the sensor 

On 18/11/2023 at 15:26, Brumstopdogs said:

Isn't this type of change aimed to support teams like us with a high line. Our whole game is based around applying pressure high up the pitch and out scoring teams.

Changes that benefit attackers support our kind of team surely. 

Lets focus on the benefit it gives out attackers not the detriment it causes out defence. 

2 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Isn't this type of change aimed to support teams like us with a high line. Our whole game is based around applying pressure high up the pitch and out scoring teams.

Changes that benefit attackers support our kind of team surely. 

Lets focus on the benefit it gives out attackers not the detriment it causes out defence. 

I'd say it would be the opposite.  We play the offside trap the most out of nearly every team in Europe. 

5 hours ago, Adman said:

I'd say it would be the opposite.  We play the offside trap the most out of nearly every team in Europe. 

But we play a high line in order to apply attacking pressure high up the pitch and we score more goals than we defend. So our attackers benefit more than our defenders suffer. 

2 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

But we play a high line in order to apply attacking pressure high up the pitch and we score more goals than we defend. So our attackers benefit more than our defenders suffer. 

I don’t know about this. Fulham would have scored three or four goals in the game a few weeks ago under this Wenger rule. Tight offsides are saving us from conceding big chances pretty much every game. It’s a huge part of how we set up and we are very good at it. I don’t see us getting caught offside near as much at the other end. I think we will have to change our system if this rule comes in. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

I don’t know about this. Fulham would have scored three or four goals in the game a few weeks ago under this Wenger rule. Tight offsides are saving us from conceding big chances pretty much every game. It’s a huge part of how we set up and we are very good at it. I don’t see us getting caught offside near as much at the other end. I think we will have to change our system if this rule comes in. 

Fulham score those goals if you make a bigger allowance for the existing system. For me all this does is move the lines. If the defenders know the attackers have a bigger margin, they will have to be more aggressive with their starting position. 

13 hours ago, villarule123 said:

How many offside goals today? It's not by fluke. 

Yeah there's this perception that it's the player failing to hold their run or time their run correctly. Which is actually incorrect. Players are timing the runs correctly, they're looking at their teammate anticipating the pass and then going. The issue for the opposition is our defence step up at the right time to get them offside. 

This is doubly difficult for opposition, as they are used to playing a standard defensive line which has players who will track your run, thus keeping you onside and then creating your foot race

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 1

Also when people think we have such a high line. While the stats show our average line isn't that high. The question is why do we remember us being so high so often yet the stats don't show that. The answer is rooted well at the start in the below video of Emery's Villareal. Start in a mid block and no aggressive high press (unlike Newcastle, Liverpool, Spurs etc.. who press high). What happens is we have the triggers, when a backward pass is played everyone steps forward, another backwards pass and step forward again. The aim is to win the ball higher up the pitch for turnovers, it's an offensive tactic. It results in our back line ending up very high at times to compress the space. But the line gets there when the ball is far away as it requires backward passes from opposition to trigger the move from the mid block to high block and pressing. 

• Like 1

Â