England v Malta/North Macedonia

andykeenan

8 hours ago, villan95 said:

Surely 2 of Foden, Maddison, Saka, Bowen either side of Kane is enough? But could argue Gordon and Gibbs-White are more deserving of call ups at the moment.

He doesn't pick on short-term form (or at least hasn't since about 12 months into his time in charge). There's just no point thinking 'who's had a good last 5 or 6 gameweeks, they should be in' because that isn't how he decides the squad. 

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

He doesn't pick on short-term form (or at least hasn't since about 12 months into his time in charge). There's just no point thinking 'who's had a good last 5 or 6 gameweeks, they should be in' because that isn't how he decides the squad. 

I think Gibbs-White has been pretty impressive for the last 12 months or so. Also both have been in the u21s and been successful which he used to like 

4 minutes ago, villan95 said:

I think Gibbs-White has been pretty impressive for the last 12 months or so. Also both have been in the u21s and been successful which he used to like 

Yeah, I sort of agree, though I actually think Gibbs-White has been worse this season. But I think he, Gordon and Ramsey will be in the squad soon enough, it just won't be before the Euros. He normally does bring *some* fresh blood through as part of the 'cycle'; think that hasn't really happened this time because of the gap between tournaments being 18 months rather than 2 years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yeah, I sort of agree, though I actually think Gibbs-White has been worse this season. But I think he, Gordon and Ramsey will be in the squad soon enough, it just won't be before the Euros. He normally does bring *some* fresh blood through as part of the 'cycle'; think that hasn't really happened this time because of the gap between tournaments being 18 months rather than 2 years. 

when he's gone ;)

gibbs white for me would more be about trying to find someone different, phillips and henderson arent good enough or playing enough football to justify their inclusion so even if he went scattergun to find the answer and called 5 players up just to see them in the squad and see if they fit then so be it

the problem is southgate being southgate he's too stubborn to see phillips and henderson as not good enough

maguire is the same, he should have looked elsewhere because maguire isnt good enough but southgate isnt looking elsewhere because he thinks that he is

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

when he's gone ;)

Yes, and to be fair it's definitely time for him to go after the Euros. He's had a good run but four tournaments is plenty I think, especially since we presumably won't have won any. 

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

gibbs white for me would more be about trying to find someone different, phillips and henderson arent good enough or playing enough football to justify their inclusion so even if he went scattergun to find the answer and called 5 players up just to see them in the squad and see if they fit then so be it

the problem is southgate being southgate he's too stubborn to see phillips and henderson as not good enough

maguire is the same, he should have looked elsewhere because maguire isnt good enough but southgate isnt looking elsewhere because he thinks that he is

They are all 'good enough' IMO, the fair point you're making here is about game time rather than ability (and in Henderson's case the lack of *quality* game time). I can make my peace with Maguire (who is usually okay for England, and has started to come back into the United team) and Phillips (who I think is talented if not in form or shape) but I can't be doing with Henderson, I just will not defend that. 

• Like 1

Bellingham missed the last Madrid game due to injury and Madrid said he's not going to be available for England, can the medical team not just send over the documents to England? Making Bellingham fly all the way to England just to confirm he's injured and fly back is insane to me. If I was him I'd refuse to even travel. 

1 hour ago, AndyM3000 said:

Bellingham missed the last Madrid game due to injury and Madrid said he's not going to be available for England, can the medical team not just send over the documents to England? Making Bellingham fly all the way to England just to confirm he's injured and fly back is insane to me. If I was him I'd refuse to even travel. 

Bellingham was at the 50cent gig with Jordan Henderson the other day. Maybe he came across just for that :lol: 

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

Bellingham was at the 50cent gig with Jordan Henderson the other day. Maybe he came across just for that :lol: 

And by doing it off the back of a need to travel for work he can expense the FA for the flight and accommodation. Those pesky footballers and their thrifty savvyness.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AndyM3000 said:

Unfortunately teams have to release the player if he's called up, and can only withdraw after assessment by the national side's medical team. It's why, ridiculously, Gabriel Jesus has had to fly to Brazil despite being injured.

1 minute ago, stewiek2 said:

Unfortunately teams have to release the player if he's called up, and can only withdraw after assessment by the national side's medical team. It's why, ridiculously, Gabriel Jesus has had to fly to Brazil despite being injured.

I guess it is in response to players taking the piss by declaring themselves injured to avoid playing in crap international games, then fully fit again when their league club plays.

22 minutes ago, Genie said:

I guess it is in response to players taking the piss by declaring themselves injured to avoid playing in crap international games, then fully fit again when their league club plays.

I get that, but if they missed the last game injured too, you'd think the international team would use a bit of common sense.

I suspect in Bellingham's case he wanted to come back for a home visit anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrBlack said:

I get that, but if they missed the last game injured too, you'd think the international team would use a bit of common sense.

I suspect in Bellingham's case he wanted to come back for a home visit anyway.

If they dont come to get assessed they can be banned for next league match

Watkins scores a boat load and assists as good as anyone…. Takes months and months for a call up. 

Cole Palmer scores four penalties…. Instant call up.

Watkins would have more goals than Salah if he took our penalties…

1 hour ago, kidlewis said:

Watkins scores a boat load and assists as good as anyone…. Takes months and months for a call up. 

About that . . . :D

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, kidlewis said:

There's a reason he no longer takes them. Has a 40% record from the spot in his career. He's a bad penalty taker.

• Like 1

Â