Match Thread: Villa v AZ Alkmaar

limpid

1 minute ago, R.Bear said:

I'd like to see Duran on at HT.

Should have been on from the start to give Watkins a rest. Duran’s unpredictability may have worked better too?

1 minute ago, stuart_75 said:

Why are Radio WM playing a Rooney interview at half time?? Just trolling us DVB's I suspect

He sounds thick as pigshit, the perfect manager for that lot

• Like 1

Just now, Pinebro said:

Looks like crowd is slowly realizing it's a third rate competition and the teams we come up against aren't very exciting.

It will be better if we reach the latter stages but right now it just have that early round carabao cup feel about it.

thats bullshit though

its a competition that we can realistically win and should be trying to win

we havent won a thing in 30 years, and we wont be winning an english competition any time soon, its not beneath us, its our best chance 

• Like 2

Problem with playing high line is linesmen are not giving obvious initial offsides and let play develop. Villa have to win ball back and progress play from deep. 
Or play is allowed to develop giving them momentum. Put the effin flag up! Or have these rule changes caused this ridiculous situation?

In fairness on a few occasions I think we've deliberately rejected risky but potentially fruitful passing options for the sake of ball retention. I'm thinking specifically of Lenglet stepping up, when he could have tried a through ball to Ollie who was on the CBs shoulder, but instead checked back and went with an easy ball.

Now it could be that certain players have been bottling the risky option, but I doubt it. I think it's more likely that they've been asked to hold onto the ball, and limit risk. It's a trait of continental football.

Just now, villa4europe said:

thats bullshit though

we havent won a thing in 30 years, and we wont be winning an english competition any time soon, its not beneath us, its our best chance 

100% this - anyone thinking it’s a joke of a tournament is deluding themselves. It’s about winning and changing the mentality. We gotta start somewhere. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

thats bullshit though

Listen to the crowd though.

Barely any excitement there is it

Gotta admit I'm struggling staying awake. Been a dull half

Edited by Pinebro

Just now, Galway Lion said:

Problem with playing high line is linesmen are not giving obvious initial offsides and let play develop. Villa have to win ball back and progress play from deep. 
Or play is allowed to develop giving them momentum. Put the effin flag up! Or have these rule changes caused this ridiculous situation?

im convinced the late flag is there because they want the goal, they want the chance, they want the illusion of excitement

makes us look under the cosh when we're not

11 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Looks like crowd is slowly realizing it's a third rate competition and the teams we come up against aren't very exciting.

It will be better if we reach the latter stages but right now it just have that early round carabao cup feel about it.

They sound the same in the Premier League.