Jareth

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

We’ve scraped past our dodgy patch. We will have a full squad, barring Mings and Emi being fully fit and other than that will be fully functioning,  Ramsey flying down the left with Alex. Rejuvenated midfield with options, and the ever building Bailey and Diarby understanding plus a couple of clever signings from Monchi

Buendia 83rd min strike to beat Liverpool and let the celebrations begin 

then we win the conference league

sounds like a @Delphinho123 wet dream

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Clearly Liverpool deserved to win tonight but that second penalty was a scandal!

I am dreaming as much as any Villa fan but probably that result will suit us better in the long run.  It’s a long way back for Newcastle now.

Edited by Stephen_Evans
Typo
  • Like 1

Just now, UpTheVilla26 said:

Looks like we are up against not only several other teams but also the refs and VAR. 

That Jota pen was ridiculous. 

Liverpool were battering them either way in fairness 

• Like 2

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

They were, but at 3-2 there was always a chance of another Newcastle goal until that blatant cheating all round. 

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Irrelevant.

If you're unable to finish your dinner you deserve nothing.

Blatant cheating killed the game.

3 hours ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Looks like we are up against not only several other teams but also the refs and VAR. 

That Jota pen was ridiculous. 

Just slightly more ridiculous than the penalty we were given v Burnley? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Man City will get about 88 points

Liverpool will be next on 82 or so

Arsenal 78 ish

Spurs 75 ish

Villa 72 and a CL place.

Dont care what happens below that.

Edited by GlobalVillan

33 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Arsenal 78 ish

Spurs 75 ish

Villa 72 and a CL place.

Why do we fall away? 30 points from 18 games.  

Our average over Emery’s tenure is 2.06, why do you think that falls so much?

We’ve got players coming back from injury now and a few weeks of league rest.  

We are lucky we don’t have any significant players going to AFCON or Asia Cup so we should be more positive shouldn’t we?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GlobalVillan said:

Arsenal 78 ish

Spurs 75 ish

Villa 72 and a CL place.

I feel more comfortable as well with JPAngel’s analysis both from history of 4th needing 70-71 points over the last ten years and our current trajectory is 80 points, so unless a complete collapse we have about 3 ‘extra’ losses more than our normal run rate in the next 18 games allowed.

12 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

A quick update on the average PPG thread following the Sheff Utd, Man Utd and Burnley games. Just to help manage my own expectations and let data do the talking.

image.thumb.png.adf1f5b68c4fe35ba261259c5542b55b.png

Our average PPG still sees us finishing with a projected total of 79.8 points which would generally see us finish 3rd. As has been mentioned previously, teams have generally needed 70-71 points to finish 4th over the last 10+ years so I feel that earning 28-29 points from the next 18 games should be our minimum objective.

If we can win ten of the below, we should secure CL football comfortably.

EVE (A)
NEW (H)
SHU (A)
MNU (H)
FUL (A)
NOT (H)
LUT (A)
TOT (H)
WHU (A)
WOL (H)
MNC (A)
BRE (H)
ARS (A)
BOU (H)
CHE (H)
BRI (A)
LIV (H)
CRY (A)

It's going to be a fun ride!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Why do we fall away? 30 points from 18 games.  

I think its because everybody thinks we will fall away.

I'm not saying they are right, but the narrative is overwhelming in the media its everywhere. I watched a 45 minute podcast about the title race in which they barely mentioned us apart from to say we where having a "good run of form" and that "our squad was a bit thin"

Edited by MarkLillis
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, MarkLillis said:

I'm not saying they are right, but the narrative is overwhelming in the media its everywhere. I watched a 45 minute podcast about the title race in which they barely mentioned us apart from to say we where having a "good run of form" and that "our squad was a bit thin"

Yeah I keep hearing this squad is thin but we have four quality CB’s not including Mings, two quality LB’s, loads of midfielders, Bailey/Diaby/Zaniolo as further forward so I’d argue we are as strong as many around us.  

Yes we have a few weak areas in depth but no more than Liverpool, Arsenal or Spurs who have their own weak areas.  

I kind of like being underestimated so often but in other ways it’s a bit frustrating.  

I don’t mind people saying we won’t win the title but so many are saying we aren’t title contenders at this stage is silly and then many saying we won’t get Top4.  

Yes that might happen but nothing over the last 14 months under Emery suggests we are going to fall away.  Now if we get 75-80 points as the current ppg suggests and still end up 5th then fair enough to the other teams but at the moment we are title contenders and with the manager we have I think he’ll keep us in touch as much as the others, although I think City will run away with it by a distance.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

It's the longest new manager bounce of all time. 

• Haha 4

23 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

Last time we won the league in 81 we used just 14 players and played 42 League games. 

Nothing to worry about :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

Arsenal 78 ish

Spurs 75 ish

Villa 72 and a CL place.

Has 5th now been guaranteed a CL Place? 

4 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Has 5th now been guaranteed a CL Place? 

No, it depends on how English teams do in Europe this year so we probably won’t know until May.

If we keep this form up for the next few years, we will be one of the top European teams. It would mean we have already achieved the heights of top teams like man city and liverpool. 

It seems almost crazy.

We will either keep it up and have already overtaken Man United's and Tottenham's of this world, OR we will drop considerably from our previous results.

Can we really see an Emery collapse to say 1.7ppg going forward?