Jareth

19 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Just need to pray that Ten Haag doesn't get sacked before Boxing Day 

Who would they get in if he did go? Also their 'team' is a collection of mediocre and over the hill players captained by one of the worst 'leaders' in football. Nothing to fear even under a new/interim coach. 

I obviously don’t think it’s possible but I never believed I would see the words “Villa” and “title” genuinely and realistically in the same sentence.  Reading all this stuff about Villa barely seems real. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FLVillan said:

The Year....?.....

We had a goalkeeper who was superb, imperious almost, yet had been rejected by Arsenal.

We had a pair of full-backs who were solid defensively and adventurous going forward, full of energy.

Our Number 6 was a combination of all things that you want from a central midfield player.  Good on the ball.  Covered ground.  Got forward. Never flustered.  Led by example.

We had a Scottish Number 7 who epitomized the energy of the team, never stopped running, and could play multiple positions.

We had a winger who played on his weak foot, would scare the daylights out of defenders and contribute goals.

Our centre forward was underrated, yet scored plenty of goals and contributed in a multitude of ways to our attacking play.

Our centre-back pairing was a combination of guile and muscle.

And we had a manager who was intense and demanding, and never made excuses.

Agree that there are similarities with 1980/-81. But also some clear differences.

Match programme: Back then we only had the league to think about. Knocked out of both cups early. In the FA Cup, we even lost in the first round against Ipswich, who were our closest challengers. Ipswich played in two tournaments in addition to the league. Had we had the same number of games we probably wouldn't have won, although I wouldn't bet against it...
We were very lucky with injuries, so far this year we have been unlucky, although we have solved it well.

Opposition: It was mainly just Ipswich. The best teams of the time, Forest and Liverpool had weak seasons. This year, most of the good teams are also off to a good start.

Attack: We had two very good strikers, like having Kane today, or at least Toney. Watkins is unfortunately the most important reason why we don't win the league, his ability to mess up the ball in reception and after being played through, and missing the best opportunities is not worthy of a league winner. But he is doing his best, and it is probably not possible to bring in a better striker.

Watching AFTV meltdowns is so pleasing... The ref should have awarded them multiple penalties, Villa didn't have any chances, and VAR robbed them of the multiple handball goal because apparently, CASH was the one who handled the ball and not Havertz...

Arsenal fans are still the most delusional fans in football.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Watching AFTV meltdowns is so pleasing... The ref should have awarded them multiple penalties, Villa didn't have any chances, and VAR robbed them of the multiple handball goal because apparently, CASH was the one who handled the ball and not Havertz...

Arsenal fans are still the most delusional fans in football.  

Don't forget about the wind impacting them too!

I still think it will be a three horse race between Liverpool, City and Arsenal as the season progresses but it's superb we're in the mix!

Edited by Brumstopdogs

12 minutes ago, villa82 said:

Watkins is unfortunately the most important reason why we don't win the league, his ability to mess up the ball in reception and after being played through, and missing the best opportunities is not worthy of a league winner.

People would have made similar comments about Withe until he showed them they were wrong.

• Like 2

Everyone keeps making comparisons to the year that Leicester won the league, the difference between us and Leicester is that our team is far better than theirs was, their team was good don't get me wrong but it was a complete freak of a season for them to win it, we've been consistent for 12 whole months now.

I still don't think we'll do it but I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts.

• Like 1

Screw everyone who says that we have a good 11 but no depth. We have done brilliantly to have the squad we have with the ffp limited finances we are allowed to spend

At the moment we  have JJ  Diaby Moreno Lenglet Dendocker Zaniolo Cash as non starters. There is alot of talent there. Plus Olsen Big Tim and Traore and then Chambers. 

You wouldnt get change from 200 mill if we sold them..