villan95

Is this becoming a bit of a concern again? We don't seem to play anything like the same team away from home a lot of the time. Burnley was decent but it's questionable opposition and no offence to Hibs but not really sure we can read too much into that one.

Recent away results:

Legia Warsaw - L

Liverpool - L

Burnley - W

Hibernian - W

Newcastle - L

Liverpool - D

Wolves - L

Man Utd - L

Brentford - D

Just before that we did beat Leicester and Chelsea to be fair and the matches we've lost and drawn haven't been the easiest by any means but maybe something to keep an eye on.

Edited by villan95

34 minutes ago, villan95 said:

Is this becoming a bit of a concern again? We don't seem to play anything like the same team away from home a lot of the time. Burnley was decent but it's questionable opposition and no offence to Hibs but not really sure we can read too much into that one.

Recent away results:

Legia Warsaw - L

Liverpool - L

Burnley - W

Hibernian - W

Newcastle - L

Liverpool - D

Wolves - L

Man Utd - L

Brentford - D

Just before that we did beat Leicester and Chelsea to be fair and the matches we've lost and drawn haven't been the easiest by any means but maybe something to keep an eye on.

No they are all tough away grounds to visit. Most of those teams rely on their excellent home form. Wolves was most disappointing but they barely concede at home.

7 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

No, not for me. 

From the last 12, we’ve W4, D2, L5.

And especially with our home form. If we matched the away form to the home form we’d win the league!

Fair point. Suppose you've gotta look at the away form as a whole since Unai came in and it's been more than decent overall.

6 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

No they are all tough away grounds to visit. Most of those teams rely on their excellent home form. Wolves was most disappointing but they barely concede at home.

Yeah it is a very tough run of fixtures in fairness, in the league. Hopefully nothing to worry about.

Chelsea, Wolves, AZ and Forest as the next away matches should give more of a true indication.

• Like 1

Going away will aways be a struggle until we sort out our defense. 

Lenglet is slow, I wouldn't want to play him with the high line we operate. I think if we had brought him on against Liverpool it would've been 5 or 6.

We really to get Pau up to speed, we really need him playing well.  We also need Carlos back, and Moreno in the team. A back four of Moreno, Pau, Carlos, and Konsa is the best defense we can put on the pitch without Mings. We need that defensive line on the pitch, for a run of at least 6 games till our defense can get upto scratch.

Shockingly I'd still play one of Lenglet or Chambers for the ECL and League Cup games. They clearly need matches. And we will need them.  But both together is asking for it!

Our away form isn't too bad. We just need to tighten up at the back, and half those defeats become draws.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Philosopher said:

Going away will aways be a struggle until we sort out our defense. 

Lenglet is slow, I wouldn't want to play him with the high line we operate. I think if we had brought him on against Liverpool it would've been 5 or 6.

We really to get Pau up to speed, we really need him playing well.  We also need Carlos back, and Moreno in the team. A back four of Moreno, Pau, Carlos, and Konsa is the best defense we can put on the pitch without Mings. We need that defensive line on the pitch, for a run of at least 6 games till our defense can get upto scratch.

Shockingly I'd still play one of Lenglet or Chambers for the ECL and League Cup games. They clearly need matches. And we will need them.  But both together is asking for it!

Our away form isn't too bad. We just need to tighten up at the back, and half those defeats become draws.

I'd only play Chambers if Cash is in dire need of a rest and there's no other options for RB. As even if Chambers gets match fit, he's still rubbish.

• Like 1

I'm not concerned about the away form necessarily, but the manner of some of the away defeats recently is concerning. We've picked up a nasty habit of conceding early, which away from home is really making things difficult for yourself right from the get-go, and then there's the amount we are conceding; which is maybe a separate issue, and there are of course mitigating circumstances.

There's been too much upheaval across the back four so far, hopefully, things will settle down as the season progresses.

• Like 1

So far this season it looks like we've decided to play our A game of trying to contain the opponent in their half regardless of who the opposition is and whether we're at home or away. I just don't think we're good enough/confident enough to do that against the top sides yet, (especially when we play with a makeshift defence). We played a more pragmatic game away from home against the better sides last season and got some decent results (wins against Spurs, Brighton, Chelsea and draws against Liverpool & Brentford). I think we can dominate against lesser teams away from home (see Burnley, Hibernian etc.) but I kinda wish we would sit a little deeper in those games where we aren't favourites and the opponent has the tools to easily exploit our high line/slow recovery speed. We definitely have the pace up front to function well as a counter-attacking team, so I'd like to see us set up that way when it makes sense.

• Like 1

Too early to say imo. We never get anything at Newcastle and losing Mings clearly affected the players. We conceded a soft early goal at Anfield, so we was always going to be up against it after that. Would also argue our starting 11 for both those games wasn’t our strongest 11 if everyone is fit. Our current starting 11 isn’t as strong as last season either imo. 

1 hour ago, DakotaVilla said:

This Chelsea team is there for the taking. I absolutely want us to play like we did at Burnley away and set up camp in their half. They aren’t Liverpool or Newcastle so the only question is whether we put our chances away.

Completely disagree.

They’re not playing well as a team, but they have some very good individuals. They’re far from shit.  It’s only so long that their terrible luck in front of goal can continue.

We need to give them the respect they deserve to beat them.  I don’t think any team that’s got a good result got it from completely out classing them.  Their matches have been close, and some that they have actually dominated.

They have 1 point less than Newcastle, one goal difference worse than Newcastle, yet we were absolutely destroyed by Newcastle.

They are MUCH closer to a Newcastle/Liverpool than they are to being a Burnley.

We will no doubt play the high line, and very possibly get completely undone because of their pace against our defence.

They’re doing pretty shit for their standards, but they are FAR from a walkover. And in my opinion, it’s not a matter of whether WE put our chances away, but rather if THEY put theirs away - which has been their biggest problem.

• Like 1

On 22/09/2023 at 07:42, It's Your Round said:

No, not for me. 

From the last 12, we’ve W4, D2, L5.

And especially with our home form. If we matched the away form to the home form we’d win the league!

Its the manner of those defeats, and the numerical  goals against.

Â