villan95

Teams will start to build tactics against us keeping the ball at the back and playing out through midfield, manure did that second half, pressured the defenders and man marked our midfield. Its risky for them but it paid off. We also had chances to finish the game off that didn't work out, through bad luck. 

It's very easy to see us playing the ball.around the back and say cut it out and defend, we're 2 up! But that isn't easy to do even though lesser talented team seem to be able to it. We have to stick to our principles and get better at it, it's got us where we are with a squad that probably shouldn't be where it is considering it's past record. 

6 hours ago, TRO said:

you have a point for sure....but they did all this, last season in the cup....we did much the same at St James's and Anfield.

We have to address it at some stage.

I still think its ambitious to expect to score 3 at Old Trafford, even though Bournemouth did.

Agree it's a tricky one and my thoughts also went to Liverpool and Newcastle. These teams are bringing us into a game of chicken. With united I actually wonder if they would have dared play this way unless we were two up. They certainly gave us many chances for the third goal, we just didn't take them. 

I suspect we may need to develop a way of playing a bit deeper but going a bit more direct over the top. Or maybe dropping to a back 5.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Agree it's a tricky one and my thoughts also went to Liverpool and Newcastle. These teams are bringing us into a game of chicken. With united I actually wonder if they would have dared play this way unless we were two up. They certainly gave us many chances for the third goal, we just didn't take them. 

I suspect we may need to develop a way of playing a bit deeper but going a bit more direct over the top. Or maybe dropping to a back 5.

However, we decide to do it, and there are options..... we cannot be so easy to play against at times, if we are to be ambitious.

as Fergie once said "Attack wins games, defence wins titles"

• 1 month later...

How have we suddenly become so incredible in London?

Went years without beating any of the decent teams and now suddenly we're winning successively at Chelsea, Spurs and Craven Cottage has been a ground where we rarely win at either in last 20 years. 4 points from our last two trips to Brentford who have been a massive jinx team for us in last decade.

Bow down to the Don who wants to keep showing up the London based correspondents I think.

West Ham in a few weeks is another I have a very good feeling on, we're well overdue an away win and they're in a right state currently.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, stewiek2 said:

Screenshot_20240218-120233~2.png

This isn't true at all. I just wasted two minutes checking. Maybe it meant to say 'unbeaten' in London (I saw draws against Brentford and West Ham before I stopped!)

Edit: ah maybe I'm wrong. I read it as in London. (Because it's in the away form thread).

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

With only 3 away matches left - we're probably going to end up somewhere in 4th-8th in away form. Our xGD is 9th away (-4.5) which is a decent representation of us as we don't particularly blow away anyone away from home.

image.thumb.png.2bcf2f0e142c3aa5d5d688e24909e337.png

In comparison - we will end anywhere between 4th-7th in home form but our xGD is better at home in 6th place and positive (+11.2)

At the end of the day - our away form didn't end up being too poor. Only the title contenders have a positive xGD away which belies their strength in different areas. 

What's interesting is a sorted from highest GD between home and away - you can see the different clubs with a great home effect. I imagine Newcastle has something to do with travel.

1. Fulham - 30
  2. Newcastle - 25
  3. Villa - 19
  4. Palace - 18
  5. Brighton - 16
  6. Luton - 14
  7. Liverpool - 13
Edited by DJBOB

Â