villan95

Just now, villan95 said:

Maybe I'm just feeling negative at the moment but I wouldn't even be confident about beating Sheff Utd or Luton away from home with some of the bad habits I'm seeing.

Forest are miles better than those two on their own ground and have far more quality across the pitch.

If we're not getting 6 points from Luton and Sheffield United away it's futile having serious discussions about finishing top 4.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Forest are miles better than those two on their own ground and have far more quality across the pitch.

If we're not getting 6 points from Luton and Sheffield United away it's futile having serious discussions about finishing top 4.

Don't get me wrong we will obviously win several away games but I'm not confident any are gimmes for us.

Could see us winning at Brighton but dropping points at Sheff Utd for example.

Edited by villan95

Just now, villan95 said:

Don't get me wrong we will obviously win several away games but I'm not confident any are gimmes for us.

They're not but we just do what we did at Chelsea. Get to half time at 0-0 and take things from there.

What were you like after losing to Warsaw and Everton in the cup? We won premier league games three days later after both defeats so it's a bit premature to say we're going to struggle to win many away games after today's result.

Just now, VillaChris said:

They're not but we just do what we did at Chelsea. Get to half time at 0-0 and take things from there.

What were you like after losing to Warsaw and Everton in the cup? We won premier league games three days later after both defeats so it's a bit premature to say we're going to struggle to win many away games after today's result.

I thought we were pretty fortunate to win at Chelsea tbh. The cup exits were a little different with a rotated team granted.

And I hope to be proven wrong but it's just some things I have noticed about how we play away from home that is in stark contrast to how we play at home, going back to last season even.

2 minutes ago, villan95 said:

I thought we were pretty fortunate to win at Chelsea tbh. The cup exits were a little different with a rotated team granted.

And I hope to be proven wrong but it's just some things I have noticed about how we play away from home that is in stark contrast to how we play at home, going back to last season even.

Ultimately though we don't need to win away at the rate we do at home. Newcaste last season won 8 away games in prem to finish comfortable top 4, Man. United were similar.

Arsenal won 11 and they were league leaders up to April.

Just now, VillaChris said:

Ultimately though we don't need to win away at the rate we do at home. Newcaste last season won 8 away games in prem to finish comfortable top 4, Man. United were similar.

Arsenal won 11 and they were league leaders up to April.

Of course but we still need 30 or so points potentially. At the moment we're on for 22, albeit with a tricky ish first 6 away matches.

3 hours ago, Tom13 said:

There's not many away games you can afford to miss two clear cut chances in.

Zaniolo and Watkins score, different story.

Yes but they had chances too and I thought Kamara was lucky to win a foul when he lost the ball just outside our area first half 

16 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes but they had chances too and I thought Kamara was lucky to win a foul when he lost the ball just outside our area first half 

How many clear cut that weren't already blown up for beforehand?

I thought we were attrocious today to be fair. Powder puff. I thought Luiz should have been sprinting out & blocking the shot for their first instead he waved a leg at it & turned sideways. The second was a bit of a freak but very similar situation to the first. 

As for in attack :bang:  I thought Digne wasted a ton of good situations, Cash was nowhere near his best & Watkins was in the pocket of their defender, so largely annonymous.  Bailey was back to the old Bailey and needs to learn how to head a ball, Diaby was powder puff too. 

All round a poor performance for me. Seems to be a pattern emerging in these away performances and it ain't great.

Edited by danceoftheshamen
  • Like 1

We managed 23 away points last season.

Currently on 7 points. Ideally need about 30, so 6 or 7 wins from -

Spurs, Bournemouth, Brentford, Man Utd, EvertonSheffield UnitedFulhamLuton, West Ham, Man City, Arsenal, Brighton and Palace.

I’m thinking wins from the bolded. I’ve erred on the side of caution and said despite us thrashing them at home, we won’t win at either West Ham or Brighton. I think we would be capable of getting a win at Brentford and Man Utd, but again will say we won’t. Draws in each quite feasible.

Obviously if our home form continues to be excellent then there’s a bit more wiggle room regarding the away form. We had 38 points at Villa Park last season, if we can reach closer to 45 then that’s going to help.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 away games out of 8 (inc. Europe) where we've conceded within the first 5 minutes and ended up losing. It feels like in all of those cases that the game plan immediately goes out the window, we push higher up the pitch to try and get back in the game, and get caught on the counter even more often. I'd like to see us be a bit more pragmatic in the early stages of away games (not sure it will happen though).

Edited by oishiiniku_uk

14 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

4 away games out of 8 (inc. Europe) where we've conceded within the first 5 minutes and ended up losing. It feels like in all of those cases that the game plan immediately goes out the window, we push higher up the pitch to try and get back in the game, and get caught on the counter even more often. I'd like to see us be a bit more pragmatic in the early stages of away games (not sure it will happen though).

Generally I’d say that because our home form is so good it tends to raise our expectations and consequently our disappointment when we don’t perform so well away. Yes I’m sure Unai is concerned and will be working hard to improve our away performances but let’s not make the home form become a barometer of every game, although Unai probably does to some extent. It’s great that VP is now a fortress but away games are always tricky no matter who’s the opponent. PL team’s particularly so. 

8 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Generally I’d say that because our home form is so good it tends to raise our expectations and consequently our disappointment when we don’t perform so well away. Yes I’m sure Unai is concerned and will be working hard to improve our away performances but let’s not make the home form become a barometer of every game, although Unai probably does to some extent. It’s great that VP is now a fortress but away games are always tricky no matter who’s the opponent. PL team’s particularly so. 

Away games are harder for sure, but we seem to give opponents a leg up on a regular basis by not being switched on from the start.

1 minute ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

Away games are harder for sure, but we seem to give opponents a leg up on a regular basis by not being switched on from the start.

That seems to be true but I’m confident that Unai sees that too and will be doing all he can to put it right. 

Â