Celebrity Scandals

ml1dch

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Would you not agree that brand has received much more attention than schofield or edwards did? 

At this point, no I probably wouldn't agree with that. There wasn't a documentary of those two (yet, that I know of) but they were wall to wall in the papers and all over the news for an extended period of time. It's been less than a week, and there are far more allegations about Brand. I think proportionally Schofield and Edwards got it pretty bloody badly. Especially as ultimately the worst thing Edwards is actually accused of is breaking lockdown rules.

It stopped being a story why?

Because, as I said, there was no new information coming to light and "thing we knew yesterday is still all we know today" isn't a story. Brand will also stop being a story soon enough

You say they are over but you dont know for certain. It wouldnt suprise me if either one comes back in the next 12-18 months when its all died down abit. Brands careers over (whether innocent or guilty now without a trial)

This point is just a bit silly. I can't know that their career is over. Fair enough, you're right. I think it's probable, but I can't predict the future. Very next sentence you're certain Brand's career is over. Well, guess what, you don't know for certain. He might come back in 12-18 months :) 

How comes with brand your getting relentless stories every day which half of us would have seen on tv with our own eyes back when it was for all of us to see but no one said anything untils been brought back into the public eye years after?

Because it's a new, developing story, and past indiscretions add some context. It's been less than a week. 

On the nonce part as explained why didnt you comment on what the picture actually says? It says your a paedo "because andrew tate supports" whoevee created that isnt very smart because tate has been charged with any paedo charges and the others " she was above the age of consent" so how does that make you a nonce if its above the age. It makes no sense

Oh. I thought the picture was just a silly "le meme" that wasn't really worth thinking too much about :)

Agreed about the other stuff about deserving a fair trial obviously 

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

At this point, no I probably wouldn't agree with that. There wasn't a documentary of those two (yet, that I know of) but they were wall to wall in the papers and all over the news for an extended period of time. It's been less than a week, and there are far more allegations about Brand. I think proportionally Schofield and Edwards got it pretty bloody badly. Especially as ultimately the worst thing Edwards is actually accused of is breaking lockdown rules.

Because, as I said, there was no new information coming to light and "thing we knew yesterday is still all we know today" isn't a story. Brand will also stop being a story soon enough

This point is just a bit silly. I can't know that their career is over. Fair enough, you're right. I think it's probable, but I can't predict the future. Very next sentence you're certain Brand's career is over. Well, guess what, you don't know for certain. He might come back in 12-18 months :) 

Because it's a new, developing story, and past indiscretions add some context. It's been less than a week. 

Oh. I thought the picture was just a silly "le meme" that wasn't really worth thinking too much about :)

Agreed about the other stuff about deserving a fair trial obviously 

I obviously agree with you on all points but he’s literally not cancelled. He’s the opposite of cancelled the billionaire owner of one of the biggest content platforms publicly supports him. He’d make thousands more there than Edwards did on the Beeb. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Would you not agree that brand has received much more attention than schofield or edwards did? Is there a documentary on either one of them? As soon as both of them used the mental health card what happened they slowly came of thw news then some of their celeb mates were backing them in public.

You say they are over but you dont know for certain. It wouldnt suprise me if either one comes back in the next 12-18 months when its all died down abit. Brands careers over (whether innocent or guilty now without a trial)

It stopped being a story why? How comes with brand your getting relentless stories every day which half of us would have seen on tv with our own eyes back when it was for all of us to see but no one said anything untils been brought back into the public eye years after? We all saw how idiotic brand was on tv back so why we shocked now? He always did outrageous shit that i thought was terrible and nothing was done back then

I personally hope it goes to court only then can we see what happens. If guilty i hope he goes down its such a high profile case i dont think it will just fall into the 99÷ that nothing happens. They will study everything.

Yeah your second from last paragraph is reasonable and im not going to argue with why you have that observation (ans im not saying your wrong either as there is evidence) i finally watched the documentary and the bit with jimmy saville made me sick to my stomach.  Disgusting 

Despite that he is entitled to a fair trial like everyone is.

On the nonce part as explained why didnt you comment on what the picture actually says? It says your a paedo "because andrew tate supports" whoevee created that isnt very smart because tate has been charged with any paedo charges and the others " she was above the age of consent" so how does that make you a nonce if its above the age. It makes no sense 😂

To the nearest 5, how many times do you think people have told you there is no trial?

Also, on the general vibe of "right wing celebrity being relentlessly hounded because he's right wing", I mean...A big chunk of the initial investigation was by The Times. It's not exactly the Morning Star. A story like this should transcend political tribalism really.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

Also, on the general vibe of "right wing celebrity being relentlessly hounded because he's right wing", I mean...A big chunk of the initial investigation was by The Times. It's not exactly the Morning Star. A story like this should transcend political tribalism really.

I believe Liz Truss was brought down by woke left wing media such as the FT, so, y’know.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I obviously agree with you on all points but he’s literally not cancelled. He’s the opposite of cancelled the billionaire owner of one of the biggest content platforms publicly supports him. He’d make thousands more there than Edwards did on the Beeb. 

I didn't want to get into a messy debate about what it truly means to be "cancelled", I guess some people would say the demonetisation of Youtube and cancelling his tour counts. I don't really know how I feel about that and didn't think it was a rabbit hole worth going down

I’m still in complete disbelief about the point ‘why did the Edwards scandal stop and Brand keeps going?’

Even taking into account the obvious answer of how time works (it’s been 3 days) it’s just a complete rewriting of history. 

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/timeline-leading-up-to-suspension-of-presenter-accused-in-bbc-scandal-12918033

Friday 7 July: The Sun's bombshell exclusive is published both online and in print. The paper said the presenter is "a familiar face who is known to millions" and is also paid a six-figure salary by the BBC.

If we’re comparing the YouTube situation with Brand, Edwards was suspended 2 days after the story broke. 

On day 3 there was a story about the BBC meeting with the police, which is the exact point of reporting that you’re not claiming ‘the story is dragging on’

On day 5 the Met announced no criminality was found and Edwards resigned and he hasn’t been seen since  

who was treated more unfairly then? The guy cleared of all criminality after an investigation who still lost his job? or the guy who came out and blamed the deep state trying to take him down, still earning thousands and backed by one of the richest men on the planet?

also finally the point about left vs right wing is incorrect. The investigation was a 4 year long one done by a combination of a left leaning (channel 4) and right leaning (the times) media sources. You think they would just publish before they’re ready because he’s now mostly pushing right wing ideas? How does that make sense for a right wing paper?

Edited by StefanAVFC

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I didn't want to get into a messy debate about what it truly means to be "cancelled", I guess some people would say the demonetisation of Youtube and cancelling his tour counts. I don't really know how I feel about that and didn't think it was a rabbit hole worth going down

Even agreeing with that, im not sure how it proves brand was cancelled and Edwards wasn’t considering one completely lost his job and the other still has multiple platforms not only to say what he thinks, but also make money from. 

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Point of fact:No he didn't, he's still being paid by the BBC I think

I think the official version was stepped down temporarily from his role. That said as you say, still paid by the BBC.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Was Spacey not exonerated recently of any wrongdoing? 

I haven't followed very closely, to be honest, but my understanding is he was exonerated in one particular case, but I believe the multiple credible allegations against him go back many years, beyond the statute of limitations (hence no trial to convict or clear him).  The only way he could be exonerated of all the allegations would be for all accusing parties to independently come forward and say, "I was lying," which will obviously never happen.

26 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I think there's a spectrum of being held accountable, ranging from a little bad press to outright "cancellation."   As @StefanAVFC notes, it's hard to consider him cancelled as long as he has a means of making lots of money and the support of wealthy, powerful people.

I've got issues with Steve Schmidt (John McCain's presidential campaign manager), the biggest issue being his selection and elevation of Sarah Palin as McCain's running mate. She was dangerously ignorant and manifestly unqualified for the job, but Schmidt knew she'd appeal to a huge swathe of the GOP base BECAUSE she was ignorant and unqualified. Her far right populist persona helped set the table for a carnival barking demagogue like Trump. It was a cynical and irresponsible move by Schmidt. And a losing one, ultimately. 

But I credit Smith for breaking with the GOP over Trump and being one of the most vocal Republican critics of Trumpism. 

His take on Brand is similar to what has been expressed in this thread.

38 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

I haven't followed very closely, to be honest, but my understanding is he was exonerated in one particular case, but I believe the multiple credible allegations against him go back many years, beyond the statute of limitations (hence no trial to convict or clear him).  The only way he could be exonerated of all the allegations would be for all accusing parties to independently come forward and say, "I was lying," which will obviously never happen.

He was never going to be as bad as Frank Underwood

3 hours ago, Seat68 said:

It makes absolute sense, but probably not to you, its positions people take who back Brand. Its right wing talking points, adopt one, you are likely to adopt one or more, its not even nuanced, its a joke that is now having to be explained to you.

It makes sense to people who are left wing calling someone a paedo for random comments. Not for people who call or identify themselves as centralists. 

I dont need a explanation as it makes no sense because as i said earliee when the schofield allegations came out people were saying a crime wasnt commited as it wasnt below the consental age as that image says. So that makes everyone a nonce then. Thats why it makes no sense.

Â