January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

35 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

He's 28, and doesn't have champions league experience. 100m is too much. 70 - 80, maybe some performance related adds. 

I think the Toney for that money might have happened a season ago but that's over now with FFP. Might be stuck at Brentford until contract runs down

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

I think the Toney for that money might have happened a season ago but that's over now with FFP. Might be stuck at Brentford until contract runs down

Not sure if that accounts for all teams. This is where the big boys extra incomes come into play and where man City find another 200m pencil partnership deal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

" Unai Emery is not the biggest fan " of John Duran, I'm wondering how he knows this, and even if it was true, why would Unai let anyone outside the club know that?

Ornstein is one of journalistic integrity or at least to a level where its worth considering he is being truthful.

I believe this. Lots of smoke the last month about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

I understand Toney is running a book on him joining Arsenal. 2/1 this window and Evens next.:D

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'd already be loathe to sell him,  but if we sold him to the likes of Tottenham or Newcastle I'd probably enter meltdown territory.

Don't worry - Monchi will include a buy-back option for 50% of the initial transfer bid that will become mandatory the first season we finish above them. 😜 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

" Unai Emery is not the biggest fan " of John Duran, I'm wondering how he knows this, and even if it was true, why would Unai let anyone outside the club know that?

Reasonable but Emery never makes excuses which is one of the great things about him. That said there was a lot of chatter that Duran was signed by Lange before Emery was made official so likely he's not an Emery signing 

• Like 1

I'd already be loathe to sell him,  but if we sold him to the likes of Tottenham or Newcastle I'd probably enter meltdown territory.

It’d be truly sickening… shocked how willing or open some seem to be to him leaving… he’s brilliant. Young, talented player with massive potential and Villa through and through… it would be terrible and hurtful to see him move on, send a bad message and give us a negative impression (is everyone available for sale then?)…

I doubt he would want to leave anyway and seemingly forcing out a key player who should be a huge part of our future would be horrendous and damaging…

Unless it was an absurd offer… but 50m doesn’t even come close.

JJ could turn out better than JG ever was (and is now) and worth even more… he’s only 22… and he’s produced much more in his younger years for us…

Not for sale.

• Like 3

BS speculation and guesswork…typical nonsense. They have no insight, just jumping to conclusions and guessing from a distance.

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

I expect his fee to top out around 80m plus performance related add ons like 20 goals in a season up to another 10m.

He will fit in well at both Arsenal and Chelsea, with their pacy wide men. Chelsea's transfer policy has been giving very long contracts to younger players. So I expect they need to sell first. And even then, they will be reluctant to pay over the odds. Particularly as they don't look like  getting champions league. Otherwise Chelsea would push the price close to 100m. But I expect Toney will tell Brentford he wants to go to Arsenal, which will prevent a bidding war. 

32 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Reasonable but Emery never makes excuses which is one of the great things about him. That said there was a lot of chatter that Duran was signed by Lange before Emery was made official so likely he's not an Emery signing 

Yeah, it was widely reported last year that Duran was a 'club' signing which Emery approved, or did not oppose, in contrast to Moreno, who was an Emery signing. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

It’d be truly sickening… shocked how willing or open some seem to be to him leaving… he’s brilliant. Young, talented player with massive potential and Villa through and through… it would be terrible and hurtful to see him move on, send a bad message and give us a negative impression (is everyone available for sale then?)…

I doubt he would want to leave anyway and seemingly forcing out a key player who should be a huge part of our future would be horrendous and damaging…

Unless it was an absurd offer… but 50m doesn’t even come close.

JJ could turn out better than JG ever was (and is now) and worth even more… he’s only 22… and he’s produced much more in his younger years for us…

Not for sale.

In fairness, @GlobalVillan mentioned Newcastle wanting JJ and us possibly wanting Wilson to me as far back as summer on WhatsApp.

I paid no notice to it as it wasn't something I was prepared to listen to or contemplate accepting FFS 😂🤦🏿‍♂️

Having said that, our respective positions have changed since then, and even if we were to sell him, I'd rather sell him to FC Aston Villa in Antigua for a bag of prawn cocktail crisps than have him anywhere near those clubs 😂😂😂

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Just now, The_Steve said:

On no planet can the Geordies afford JJ. Without the Saudi link they’d be in breach or very close to breaching FFP. Howe has admitted that Joelinton will likely be off in the summer. 

Unless it's a player swap. Which is unlikely given the players in question. At this stage anyway.

The JJ stuff is a massive red herring. It’s the most speculative point - X team likes JJ understandably, Villa might need to sell for FFP, they might not though, can find other sales. That’s it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

The JJ stuff is a massive red herring. It’s the most speculative point - X team likes JJ understandably, Villa might need to sell for FFP, they might not though, can find other sales. That’s it. 

Yeah on this very forum last week I said that when Duran was linked with Chelsea that you can bet that just before the Newcastle game that one of our players would be linked with them.  Just seems to be the way the media/agents or whoever work.  Whether it’s to disturb us pre-game, create some headlines or interest, or something else it’s just predictable…

This window is reminiscent of the transfer inactivity at times under HDE and Randy, other than we are actually looking good where it matters on the pitch and just in need of a little fine tuning that FFP currently prevents. We are now reduced to talking about players that other teams might sign (Toney) or a player that we may need to let go due to FFP constraints (Jacob). I want us to keep what we have got and to somehow bring in 2 or 3 quality players in this/the next window to supplement them by other means.

However, should UE decide that he needed to sell to buy (something I hoped, I had heard the last of at our club) and should none of the players we now have, be pressing for a move in the summer, would we prefer to keep Jacob Ramsey at the club, if doing so would lead us to having to sell Emi, Douglas, Pau, Kamara, Ezri or Ollie for example instead? 

So if I’ve read the clickbait correct Chelsea want Duran and we want Broja so we will swop them on loan with obligations to buy, so they get the benefit towards FFP being Broja is homegrown and we defer buying buying to avoid FFP limits… But both deals will end up cancelling each other out …  Thoughts ? 

I think Duran, Cash and Bailey (and don’t flog me - but Luiz) go before JJ but that priority might be influenced by more than just how valuable they are to the team. 

Edited by DJBOB