January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

57 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

I miss the days when this thread was about links to players we might sign or general made up nonsense, rather than a never ending circular debate whether we will buy anyone or can buy anyone.

Generic obvious repeatable comments - we will only sign players that will improve the team, dont panic its been a week, unai has a list of targets, if we cant buy any of our targets this window then we wont

To keep on topic i would be fully onboard with Frimpong if we could make this happen. Although another ST would be great I genuinely think we have enough cover if Ollie had to miss a few games. Duran and Diaby could plug the gap but longer term would be a concern. Be interesting to see if we manage to move some of the dead wood this Jan

• Like 1

Would love to talk about players but there aren’t many links or from any decent sources..

Names floated about:

Dybala

Werner (gone to Spurs)

Ngonge

Frimpong

Molina?

Suggested:

Geertruida

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

The club are pretty good at keeping a tight lid on things these days. Of we sign someone good chance it will.be completely out of the blue. 

Used to be under Purslow, not so sure now under Monchi. Torres, Diaby and Zaniolo were all well reported for a while before they signed. Lenglet was a last minute one towards the end of the window after Mings got injured but was in the media for a couple of days. I don't expect to see a Ings/Chambers signing these days unfortunately.  

2 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Agree with this, good point. We need players playing in their best positions as often as possible and I do still see these two as wingers rather than AM or SS players… thing is, we only really play with one winger… 

We are missing players like Tielemans (who looked great supporting Watkins) and Ramsey’s form will continue to improve… I hope for the same from Zaniolo too… would like him to stick to a more central role/position.

I do like Duran too.

personally I think Diaby's best position could be a more central forward.  don't think suggesting playing Diaby up front is putting square pegs in round holes

• Like 1

Just now, tezzaleed said:

personally I think Diaby's best position could be a more central forward.  don't think suggesting playing Diaby up front is putting square pegs in round holes

Desperate times... But if Watkins breaks his leg on 1st Feb I don't think we're looking at Duran starting every remaining game as our CF, I'd even go as far as to say diaby would start more games there 

4 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

Cracking signing.

I knew all this talk of FFP restrictions was a load of bollocks.

Nah, not happy with this - never proven himself in the prem, no way to know if he will adapt. What are NSWE playing at????

Am I doing it right?

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, MSvillain said:

The annual Jonathan David link has come early this year, no idea on the reliability of the source!

Contract up in 18months so a good time for Lille to cash in. He’d be perfect for us IMO but find it doubtful we’d be in for him this month 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Join the queue because loads of clubs want this unicorn player. Diaby not starting, why can't he play striker if needed. You know he was striker all PSG youth and Emery when we signed him said he wanted him because he can play all front 3 positions. Left and right attack and striker. 

You keep strawman arguing with this "unicorn player" phrase. No one is suggesting that.

What they are saying is that without Watkins things get difficult. Duran doesn't press or adhere to the shape as consistently as he should. Diaby hasn't played there in a long time. Don't even think Zaniolo or Bailey have really ever played as the main striker and if so not for long. Bertie did for a period but do you really trust him to do it? No.

It is clear that there is a certain part of Ollies game that is hard to replicate. Do I think Emery could do a decent job with the aforementioned players in making it work? Sure. But I would rather we weren't faced with that decision.

However, in my opinion a backup to Ollie is only necessary if Duran leaves due to numbers alone. An older backup that fits the profile of technical ability to do Ollies job would be perfect. 

1 hour ago, tezzaleed said:

Personally I think that is wishful thinking. Could do a OK job there for sure though.

Diaby will never play as striker for us unless it's as a second striker next to a more traditional centre-forward, I remember people doing this with Traore, saw on Transfermarkt they he had played as a striker so thought that we wouldn't sign another striker, what they didn't do is lake a closer look and see that Traore has never played as a lone striker, only as a second striker, so he was never going to be a back-up to Watkins.

If Duran leaves he will be replaced with another striker, who can play the Watkins role should Watkins get injured or need a rest, in fact we won't let Duran go unless we have such a player lined up, I think Emery has said as much himself, so no debate

• Like 3

Like it or not, part of being a centre forward ( with effect) is holding the ball up. Top quality centre backs would be too physical for Moussa, he would be negated.

26 minutes ago, useless said:

Diaby will never play as striker for us unless it's as a second striker next to a more traditional centre-forward, I remember people doing this with Traore, saw on Transfermarkt they he had played as a striker so thought that we wouldn't sign another striker, what they didn't do is lake a closer look and see that Traore has never played as a lone striker, only as a second striker, so he was never going to be a back-up to Watkins.

If Duran leaves he will be replaced with another striker, who can play the Watkins role should Watkins get injured or need a rest, in fact we won't let Duran go unless we have such a player lined up, I think Emery has said as much himself, so no debate

Spot on.

I have no idea what the clubs plans are for this window, can't even guess.

I didn't see the moreno signing coming, so I have no idea how we operate.

I just have to trust in the process.

25 minutes ago, picicata said:

I'd rather shit in my own hand and eat it

Whatever makes you happy 😆

If you're happy with the donc, then fine, but do you really think we'll be getting rodri or de bruyne to pop down to B6 to sit on the bench as backup to Kamara ?

For a short 6 month DM backup till the end of the season, tell me another recent premier league winner and England International that'll come and do that job for us ?

Normally I might have the same view of Henderson as you, but in this particular case , a short term backup, we could do much, much worse.  

We have a particular problem when Kamara is out, and we have seen The Donc doesnt quite cut it.

17 hours ago, useless said:

My transfer roundup latest

Emery wants

Young goalkeeper - Not a young inexperienced academy keeper, we've some of those, but a young keeper with some senior experience, Josh Griffiths was my good suggestion, he's already known and highly rated by our academy - I know this as I've seen them tweet as such, whether our first team goakeeping department will listen to them I don't know, maybe they will go for young Spaniard.

Rightback - Upgrade on Cash

Winger - Option for the lefthand side, basically someone who can bring to the left what Bailey and Diaby bring to the right, but don't expect a big name expensive player, as will likely be brought in as a backup to Ramsey, it's why we wanted Jack Harrison for in the summer, will probably be someone in the vein of Summerville, Jonathan Rowe, or Illng Jr

Other possibilities include, a striker should Duran leave, and a midfielder should Dendoncker, but no players will be signed unless they improve the squad, and we won't sign anyone for the sake of it, there are areas where we think we can strengthen, but we're not desperate in any areas, so it's not out of the question that we don't sign any players at all.

Crysencio Summerville and a similar RB to how Moreno operates on the left side would be superb imo 👏🏽

Edited by RicRic