January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Whats that? We already have injured creative players and we wont get a better one in January than our injured ones

RB and Backup DM. We have no fluidity without Kamara and with cash on the team. 

• Like 2

My transfer roundup latest

Emery wants

Young goalkeeper - Not a young inexperienced academy keeper, we've some of those, but a young keeper with some senior experience, Josh Griffiths was my good suggestion, he's already known and highly rated by our academy - I know this as I've seen them tweet as such, whether our first team goakeeping department will listen to them I don't know, maybe they will go for young Spaniard.

Rightback - Upgrade on Cash

Winger - Option for the lefthand side, basically someone who can bring to the left what Bailey and Diaby bring to the right, but don't expect a big name expensive player, as will likely be brought in as a backup to Ramsey, it's why we wanted Jack Harrison for in the summer, will probably be someone in the vein of Summerville, Jonathan Rowe, or Illng Jr

Other possibilities include, a striker should Duran leave, and a midfielder should Dendoncker, but no players will be signed unless they improve the squad, and we won't sign anyone for the sake of it, there are areas where we think we can strengthen, but we're not desperate in any areas, so it's not out of the question that we don't sign any players at all.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

you would think that someone out there, would be interested in a Belgian internation defensive midfielder!

4 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

you would think that someone out there, would be interested in a Belgian internation defensive midfielder!

Interested… sure… but willing and able to afford a decent fee and significant wages?

It’s always been one of our big problems… we put average to mediocre players on fat contracts then struggle to get rid of them… shooting ourselves in the foot too often…

he is part of an old/failed regime (signed under a spoofer)… I’ll be pleased when those last few, failed, remnants are cleared out tbh… we’ve made a lot of progress in that sense but the job is not completed. There are players out on loan for now but we need to find lasting/permanent solutions…

Then we can make room for better and more suitable players to come in and help improve us…

We could probably do with a break away and “warm weather training” or the like to get all the players back up to peak fitness and sharpness and getting more coaching from Unai… kind of similar to what we got to do last season…  more than just signing players…

Would be lovely to get every player back fit and available and sharpened up in terms of tactics etc.

But that’s not going to happen so let’s splash the cash! 😂

5 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Koopmeiners? Still dunno who we could get as a class RB though.

I doubt Koopmeiners be happy to join as a back up

2 hours ago, Jas10 said:

So the plan is to shift out a RB/CB, a DM, and a wide forward ASAP, and then replace them. Three positions the VT hive mind has identified as needing either an upgrade or better quality cover. The targets to replace those players will already be identified, and the club will execute on the transfers when possible, either in this window or in the summer.

Emery has been explicitly clear we wont buy for the sake of it, and come the summer we should be qualified for one of the two more prestigious European competitions, making us even more attractive to better players. 

I don’t understand what people are concerned about. 

21 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Interested… sure… but willing and able to afford a decent fee and significant wages?

It’s always been one of our big problems… we put average to mediocre players on fat contracts then struggle to get rid of them… shooting ourselves in the foot too often…

he is part of an old/failed regime (signed under a spoofer)… I’ll be pleased when those last few, failed, remnants are cleared out tbh… we’ve made a lot of progress in that sense but the job is not completed. There are players out on loan for now but we need to find lasting/permanent solutions…

Then we can make room for better and more suitable players to come in and help improve us…

who is the spoofer?, Lange?

im fairly sure Gerrard implied he didnt know much about the Donk signing!

i agree with your points in principle though.

30 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

It's all about the wages- he would almost certainly have to take a pay cut to leave, unless it's on loan.

1 minute ago, Awol said:

So the plan is to shift out a RB/CB, a DM, and a wide forward ASAP, and then replace them. Three positions the VT hive mind has identified as needing either an upgrade or better quality cover. The targets to replace those players will already be identified, and the club will execute on the transfers when possible, either in this window or in the summer.

Emery has been explicitly clear we wont buy for the sake of it, and come the summer we should be qualified for one of the two more prestigious European competitions, making us even more attractive to better players. 

I don’t understand what people are concerned about. 

Neither do I..

The main reason not be concerned is because Unai and Monchi are on it… if they can do something they will, otherwise hold fire and make the right deals at the right time…

and their knowledge, nous and experience is leagues beyond any of us here…

But… we’re here to share thoughts, opinions and speculation… have a bit of fun if we can…

all we can do is wait and see really.

Do we really have a right to be concerned and worried when we’re second in the league though, at this stage of the season?

We should just trust in Unai and have faith… we’re not doing badly at all are we? 😆

They won’t have missed or overlooked or not thought of anything any of us have mentioned here…

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

who is the spoofer?, Lange?

im fairly sure Gerrard implied he didnt know much about the Donk signing!

i agree with your points in principle though.

The guy who is ripping it up in Saudi Arabia…

signings like Olsen, Chambers, Augustinsson, Bednarek, Dendoncker… I don’t think any of those signings weren’t “signed off” by the “manager”…

big investments like Digne and Coutinho…

Kamara was great but a player we had followed for long before he was appointed…

but… lets not get into that again here… I don’t really wish to recall that time and prefer to enjoy this current and wonderful era… so thankful for Unai…

im finding this jan weird tbh.

Firs time in probably decades, that i trust the manager to buy, or not buy, and although i would like a RB as a minimum, i'm also not stressing for signings.

My only concern is, with us in such a good position in the league, is now the time to try and attract at least one top player while we are doing well.

If we continue the form and finish top 4, then its not an issue as we can just do it in the summer, but if we choose not to try in jan, then miss out as our squad is a little light, it might have been those 1-2 signings in jan that tipped us in to the top 4.

I dunno, it could go either way, and signing players doesnt guarantee it ofc, but it also might!

oh the dilemma!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

im finding this jan weird tbh.

Firs time in probably decades, that i trust the manager to buy, or not buy, and although i would like a RB as a minimum, i'm also not stressing for signings.

My only concern is, with us in such a good position in the league, is now the time to try and attract at least one top player while we are doing well.

If we continue the form and finish top 4, then its not an issue as we can just do it in the summer, but if we choose not to try in jan, then miss out as our squad is a little light, it might have been those 1-2 signings in jan that tipped us in to the top 4.

I dunno, it could go either way, and signing players doesnt guarantee it ofc, but it also might!

oh the dilemma!

I think we will at least try or enquire… convincing such players (and their clubs to sell), especially at this time of year, is more difficult though…

We’ll just have to see…

Unai did say that we are looking or only looking for players that can make us better… getting them here and convincing them to join is another matter though…

and I don’t really have a clue where we stand financially or with FFP but I am not worried…

45 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I think normally would be easy to shift but we are probably paying more than some clubs can afford

4 hours ago, Tayls said:

But, why would we be choosing to not push on our current league position and get some reinforcements? It seems pretty clear that we need something to help us through, especially if the Duran stuff proves correct. 

It’s the 7th January, not the 31st

37 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Neither do I..

The main reason not be concerned is because Unai and Monchi are on it… if they can do something they will, otherwise hold fire and make the right deals at the right time…

and their knowledge, nous and experience is leagues beyond any of us here…

But… we’re here to share thoughts, opinions and speculation… have a bit of fun if we can…

all we can do is wait and see really.

Do we really have a right to be concerned and worried when we’re second in the league though, at this stage of the season?

We should just trust in Unai and have faith… we’re not doing badly at all are we? 😆

They won’t have missed or overlooked or not thought of anything any of us have mentioned here…

I love the speculation, especially as we know the club is actively looking to upgrade (at least) 3 outfield positions. It’s just not something to be worried about, imo - and that’s not directed at any individual poster.

15 minutes ago, dukes said:

It’s the 7th January, not the 31st

Right. What’s that got to do with the articles about us not being busy this window and possibly not improving our squad though? 

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

They are but it ain’t Dendonker, he’s 18 and plays for Royal Antwerp. 

• Thanks 1