January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

5 minutes ago, Awol said:

Shame about Digne, I’d like to keep him but his agent did too good of a job negotiating his contract. 

The plus side is his stock will have risen massively this first half of the season.  If we are looking to sell, we should have no shortage of suitors.

• Like 2

I mean, would it be worth eating into the transfer budget for someone LIKE Frimpong ( As an example )

I guess it depends on how transformative we feel the signing would be.

If we continue ascending you'd assume that we would have increased prize money, gates and sponsorship takes.

I'm hoping some of the deals we signed included increased figures based on finishing position, competetion qualifications etc.

Calculated risks would see us leverage anticipated earnings against signing/s to stay within FFP.

It's a tricky one, but I feel like we should at least try to get one transformative signing, and if they feel that's a right back who can have a Moreno esque impact I say go for it 

• Like 1

The Athletic article didn't really say that Jérémie Frimpong or Alex Baena would be too expensive, just that they would be expensive and eat into the summer transfer budget, but that doesn't rule us out of making a move for either one. To be honest the article seems quite sepculative to me, as in seems to be a lot of guess work, at least with regards to who we might target.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, useless said:

The Athletic article didn't really say that Jérémie Frimpong or Alex Baena would be too expensive, just that they would be expensive and eat into the summer transfer budget, but that doesn't rule us out of making a move for either one. To be honest the article seems quite sepculative to me, as in seems to be a lot of guess work, at least with regards to who we might target.

It was quite low on actual facts - spent a paragraph stating the powers that be will meet in the next few days to discuss targets - well I imagine this happened a long time ago!

• Like 3

Surely the club would like the rest of the league(s) to believe we are short on FFP headroom? I mean, we may well be, but I wouldn’t be surprised to find we’ve for more available than we might want to let on. Strengthens our negotiating hand, does it not. 

• Like 1

I think we just need a top RB and solid competition for Kamara, if we can't get a better RB than Cash in this window then wait until the summer, we do not need squad fillers.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

Would be a good deal for all parties. Except Argyle. 

Picked a random tweet with the rumour, but there are many similar. 

I hope we push back on that. £5mil absolute minimum. 

• Like 2

I still think we need to bring in someone who can break down teams who put 11 players behind the ball.  Its where we have struggled this season.  A tough nut to crack being able to do that.  Plus this type of player costs a fortune.  

Maybe an older player on loan near the end of his career who we could bring on in these games?  Ever Banega type, but he’s earning the oil money these days 

Edited by HeyAnty

1 hour ago, John said:

Nothing positive from Jacob there then. Money too tight to mention because of FFP unless you are Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester United/City, Spurs, Arsenal or Newcastle (who will sign players by hook or by crook, by means of dodgy Saudi deals) it seems. We need Monchi to work his magic on a budget then, or that is what we are saying, I'm just hoping that is part of a very cunning plan. 

Like this is just your bs "everyone else is fixing the game. They're all cheating and it's always the way. Boo hoo boo hoo."

Just because you don't understand how the rules work doesn't mean your ignorance is anywhere near the reality.

The reality is other teams worked under the old rules and now UEFA are tightening them every year. All teams have FFP struggles.

Arsenal had to loan Raya they were at their absolute limit for example for example. 

1 minute ago, HeyAnty said:

I still think we need to bring in someone who can break down teams who put 11 players behind the ball.  Its where we have struggled this season.  A tough nut to crack being able to do that.  Plus this type of player costs a fortune.  

Maybe an older player on loan near the end of his career who we could bring on in these games?  Ever Banega type, but he’s earning the oil money these days 

The top sides do that by keeping the width and quick switches of play to generate favourable one on ones. We only have Bailey as a winger in the squad. If we had a right footed Bailey and a Right footed Moreno we'd be set attack wise once Buendia is back fit. 

43 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Surely the club would like the rest of the league(s) to believe we are short on FFP headroom? I mean, we may well be, but I wouldn’t be surprised to find we’ve for more available than we might want to let on. Strengthens our negotiating hand, does it not. 

We do have room this window. It's just that signing a player is spread over the life of the contract so a 5 year deal and it costs 10% of it for the end half of the season. 

I think squad size and squad discipline is the issue. If we more Traore and Chambers on we can sign a winger and full back. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

The top sides do that by keeping the width and quick switches of play to generate favourable one on ones. We only have Bailey as a winger in the squad. If we had a right footed Bailey and a Right footed Moreno we'd be set attack wise once Buendia is back fit. 

They do but look at City.  They have those players but have still struggled without debryun to do this 

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think Tielemans really helps defeat this style of defending with his quick, perfectly weighted first time passes. It allows us to play through tight marking and press.

We've missed him.

59 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I mean, would it be worth eating into the transfer budget for someone LIKE Frimpong ( As an example )

I guess it depends on how transformative we feel the signing would be.

If we continue ascending you'd assume that we would have increased prize money, gates and sponsorship takes.

I'm hoping some of the deals we signed included increased figures based on finishing position, competetion qualifications etc.

Calculated risks would see us leverage anticipated earnings against signing/s to stay within FFP.

It's a tricky one, but I feel like we should at least try to get one transformative signing, and if they feel that's a right back who can have a Moreno esque impact I say go for it 

I do feel a Frimpong is the kind of player who makes the difference in what I feel is our most effective system. The one where Kamara drops to RCB in possession to allow both FBs to attack and hold with. McGinn starts in RM and comes central with Luiz for creative attacking CMs. 

The formation we used against Brighton and West Ham and we were sexy gods. 10-2 score line from those games.

That was with Cash as the attacking RB too. Frimpong would upgrade that to super sexy gods of attacking glory. 

• Like 1