January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

We've had a few windows now where we haven't made certain moves because the finances weren't right... and full credit to the club and owners for sticking to their guns as it's put us in a solid financial position. You also look at the Kamara coming in on a free after we held out in the January window, which was clearly a great bit of business.

But this season, do we think that we need to go for it... and possibly overpay for a right back / DM if we have to?

We're going into January in an incredible position and a push in the transfer window this season could help create something special.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, supermon said:

Is Roberto Firmino worth a punt, loan deal not wanted at his club. Don't think he's done well at the Saudi club but has bags of experience and could lead the line if Watkins got injured.

For me this is a perfect signing, he comes in knowing he is backup to Ollie, lots of experience and has experience of being in this type of situation before, probably knows our Brazilian contingent already 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Rightback is the most obvious. But i wouldnt be suprised if we make do and mend with the view of getting Foyth in the summer. He is an Emery favourite and would suit the back 3 in possession that we are starting to favour. 

I say why waste time. Just go get him now.

2 hours ago, pete101 said:

For me this is a perfect signing, he comes in knowing he is backup to Ollie, lots of experience and has experience of being in this type of situation before, probably knows our Brazilian contingent already 

Firmino only works in a front three where the two wide forwards come inside ahead of him.

We don't do that

6 hours ago, alexvilla4 said:

A lot of mentions for Frimpong, but are there any other suggestions for realistic right backs we could get that would be available for the right price, would suit our style and be willing to come? 

I've always like Kyle Walker-Peters but not sure how much of an upgrade he would be over Cash.

The AZ right back looked decent against us and is quite highly rated. 

Are there many la liga or bundesliga right backs that tick the boxes? 

Yea, Frimpong for 37m

2 hours ago, supermon said:

Is Roberto Firmino worth a punt, loan deal not wanted at his club. Don't think he's done well at the Saudi club but has bags of experience and could lead the line if Watkins got injured.

you ok Slippy!?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, paul514 said:

Firmino only works in a front three where the two wide forwards come inside ahead of him.

We don't do that

Dunno, he could do a job as the deeper one of a front two I reckon. That said, that would still require Watkins so not really a replacement/rotation option.

15 hours ago, Jas10 said:

I think we need to stop sticking Zaniolo on the wing, let Bailey and Diaby (needs to be more positive) battle it out for that position and put Nico in support of Ollie and, yes, I think he’s capable of covering for him too at CF… maybe even moreso than Duran (who I also like)…

There’s Ramsey too but I think it’s best to ease him into form and playing time… once he gets sharp he’s going to be a major asset again… linking up with Moreno too…

I 100% agree with this. Zaniolo's strengths seem to be his first touch and footwork, ideal for a CF/SS, but he hasn't the pace or guile to beat a fullback and get in a cross.

I'd play him just off Ollie. 

On 14/12/2023 at 15:01, GarethRDR said:

I have but a simple ask for January; with all our Spanish intel, can we finally, possibly, please for the love of all McGrath sign someone with the surname "Villa"?

I'll go you one better, in the form of Osasuna's Argentinian forward Ávila.

No idea if he's any good.

It's difficult window because we have no gaps in the squad. We have players we want to improve on for example Dendoncker as the CDM competition for Kamara. To do this in Jan we need to move Dendoncker on and find the right player to take on. That player then needs to be able to hit ground running too.

It's difficult. I think the main aim is to move a couple out. 

10 hours ago, supermon said:

Firmino has never played as a striker, but a "false 9", he would not be a watkins replacement. 

He's been in awful form for awhile, last 2-3 seasons at liverpool. Also he is probably on a £500000 a week contract in Saudi. 

I'd personally stay far far away from him, as we would be stuck with him and Coutinho on massive wages next season

• Like 1

Excellent:
Martinez
Konsa
Kamara
Luiz
McGinn

Very Good:
Torres (could easily be ‘excellent’)
Mings
Digne
Watkins
Diaby
Bailey

Good:
Ramsey (perhaps a little harsh)
Tielemans
Cash
Moreno (perhaps a little harsh)

Average:
Dendoncker
Buendia
Duran (still young - will improve)
Lenglet
Carlos

Rubbish:
Zaniolo
Traore
Chambers
Olsen

This is my current view of our squad. Probably missed a couple. We need to try and shift the rubbish in Jan/Summer as well as moving Dendoncker on too.

We need a right back most importantly. Konsa is a superb centre half and a good right back but I’d prefer him centrally. Cash isn’t favoured by Emery clearly. 

5 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Excellent:
Martinez
Konsa
Kamara
Luiz
McGinn

Very Good:
Torres (could easily be ‘excellent’)
Mings
Digne
Watkins
Diaby
Bailey

Good:
Ramsey (perhaps a little harsh)
Tielemans
Cash
Moreno (perhaps a little harsh)

Average:
Dendoncker
Buendia
Duran (still young - will improve)
Lenglet
Carlos

Rubbish:
Zaniolo
Traore
Chambers
Olsen

This is my current view of our squad. Probably missed a couple. We need to try and shift the rubbish in Jan/Summer as well as moving Dendoncker on too.

We need a right back most importantly. Konsa is a superb centre half and a good right back but I’d prefer him centrally. Cash isn’t favoured by Emery clearly. 

you must be in a good mood!

• Haha 2