January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Can't really go and spunk money in a buyers window. We don't have that much ffp room. Definitely not if we don't get top 4. If we spend now and don't make it into top 4, you will have to sell 1 or 2 prized assets to balance the budgets this summer.

Loan market with option to buy which most teams use to get around FFP.

What will help is moving on some of our fringe players. You could see Donk playing for someone like Everton sooner or later so if they bid 10m then let him go. Same for Bert as he'll be back from AFCON a bit quicker than others, offer Chambers to Sheffield United or Luton, pay up Hause contract if that helps (I think he might have only six months left?).

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

New signings in Jan rarely save anything. Be smart.

A Moreno type signing was excellent for us last January, he played a big part in us getting 7th in the end so finding player with similar profile for RB to rotate with Cash would help I think.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Loan market with option to buy which most teams use to get around FFP.

What will help is moving on some of our fringe players. You could see Donk playing for someone like Everton sooner or later so if they bid 10m then let him go. Same for Bert as he'll be back from AFCON a bit quicker than others, offer Chambers to Sheffield United or Luton, pay up Hause contract if that helps (I think he might have only six months left?).

Okay, so I think I was wrong about this the other day, and you can actually have 4 loan players, but isn't it 2 domestic + 2 international loans? And we already have our two international loans. Can't see any Prem teams wanting to loan us anyone. 

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

Okay, so I think I was wrong about this the other day, and you can actually have 4 loan players, but isn't it 2 domestic + 2 international loans? And we already have our two international loans. Can't see any Prem teams wanting to loan us anyone. 

It's tricky with his experience but possibly might send Lenglet back to free up space. It's a tough call and it would need the new RB signing to have proven CB experience just in case of injuries (or we might sign another midfielder who can slot into central defence?).

You'd imagine we'll be playing our strongest team once europa restarts so hard to see Lenglet getting that many minutes from this point.

• Like 1

RB high priority. 

Konsa has played almost every league minute and was completely gassed in the second half against United and he’s a CB. 

CM is not great but we will hardly see Dendoncker that many times this season. We need Diaby to get firing again so we can move him to the second striker spot and rotate McGinn at CMM. 

Edited by DJBOB
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Can't really go and spunk money in a buyers window. We don't have that much ffp room. Definitely not if we don't get top 4. If we spend now and don't make it into top 4, you will have to sell 1 or 2 prized assets to balance the budgets this summer.

We don’t have to spend like crazy, but a couple of intelligent signings would really help us out and provide a much needed boost. We don’t cope incredibly well when important players are missing anyway but if there’s a chance to enhance that first 11… I think we should jump on it too.

Regardless, I have full faith and trust in our setup and they will make the right decisions… while taking into account factors like FFP and whatever else.

I just want Unai to have the best possible tools at his disposal… his frustrations were on display today and it wasn’t the first time…

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jas10 said:

We don’t have to spend like crazy, but a couple of intelligent signings would really help us out and provide a much needed boost. We don’t cope incredibly well when important players are missing anyway but if there’s a chance to enhance that first 11… I think we should jump on it too.

Regardless, I have full faith and trust in our setup and they will make the right decisions… while taking into account factors like FFP and whatever else.

I just want Unai to have the best possible tools at his disposal… his frustrations were on display today and it wasn’t the first time…

I think we need a couple of players who have won league titles to help us get CL. Who that is I don’t know. 

Bayern apparently looking to offload Kimmich, which would sort the defensive side of our midfield.. Back in the real world (for us), when Man City buy him I’d definitely take Phillips off their hands ‘if’ he gets real about wages - let’s face it no one is giving him a new contract replicating what he’s on now. 

RB the most most pressing issue though, and improves two positions in one by getting Konsa back into the middle. 

9 hours ago, VillaChris said:

A Moreno type signing was excellent for us last January, he played a big part in us getting 7th in the end so finding player with similar profile for RB to rotate with Cash would help I think.

Well that would be a smart signing 🙂

The RB issue is so significant we should be happy to pay a premium if it’s the right player. Not every player has to be a bargain. This is not the time to play smart or mess around. Just find the highest placed target on the list that monchi has pulled together and if he’s in the top 3 or 5 on that list pay what it takes to get him in. 

2 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

I think we need a couple of players who have won league titles to help us get CL. Who that is I don’t know. 

Certainly not a bad shout… a bit of nous and experience in that regard might help out and calm some nerves and provide some guidance/advice… help the inexperienced players have the right approach and mentality perhaps…

Even in the backroom team… not a big fan of his but what is JT up to nowadays? Mind you, Unai and some of his team probably have this in abundance…

I do get the impression that he is frustrated by the limitations of some of the individuals he has to select at time…

Get cracking Monchi!

46 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

The RB issue is so significant we should be happy to pay a premium if it’s the right player. Not every player has to be a bargain. This is not the time to play smart or mess around. Just find the highest placed target on the list that monchi has pulled together and if he’s in the top 3 or 5 on that list pay what it takes to get him in. 

45 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Right back is essential as is proper back up for Kamara.

Happy with the remainder for now

Agreed, even one high quality signing would really help us for the rest of the season, two would be even better 😁

Don’t see the logic in throwing out names such as Gibbs-White and Philips (would anyone even be bothered or interested if he wasn’t at Man City)? Not even that good and certainly wouldn’t represent any kind of value…

Players that would cost a premium and destabilise our wage budget/structure that are simply not even worth it.

To repeat this again - we didn’t employ Monchi and his network of scouts and analysts to then blow millions/billions on PL based players. We will scout the globe and carry out as much research as possible to find high potential, quality and maybe most of all - value!

Maybe we will be more active in the La Liga market going forwards too…

We’re going to sign players that Unai himself wants and rates and sees fitting into and improving the side - that gives me major reassurance…

I’m so glad he won’t have players thrown on him and be pressured to play overpaid prime donnas or sick notes.

We’ve managed to conduct a decent clearout so far, let’s not add to that heap…

3 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

I think we're missing the options that Buendia gives us. We need a number 10 that can open up stubborn defences when they sit back.

But, RB has to be priority, and then a high potential young player to replace Dendoncker.

I would love him in this side, I’m sure he would’ve been even better this season…

such a shame, and feel so sorry for Ty too.

Emi may well be on the way back soon though…

In the meantime, Youri was doing fairly well but the timing of his injury has been unfortunate too. Could have done with him in the last couple of games for sure…

We should be all over Connor Gallagher. Comfortable in possession, works hard and can play central midfield, as a narrow wide man or as a 10. Solves so many of our problems and hits the ground running. 

Gallagher and a top class right back and we finish top 6 at least. 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I would love him in this side, I’m sure he would’ve been even better this season…

such a shame, and feel so sorry for Ty too.

Emi may well be on the way back soon though…

In the meantime, Youri was doing fairly well but the timing of his injury has been unfortunate too. Could have done with him in the last couple of games for sure…

Just to play devils advocate, if Mings didn't get that injury, would we have seen the best of Pau?