January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

Because we've bought a lot of good expensive players in recent years and the fees and wages add up. 

And not enough income on the other side of the equation, hopefully that can change now. Heck actually said that Unai and Monchi are making his job easier. The development of home grown players continues to be very important. 

8 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Well we are running up to the FFP limit. There is the more stringent squad cost rule in Europe which becomes more restrictive each year and we will have Jack's sale rolling off our income at end of next season.

The Diaby deal and the Zaniolo deal. They both have a lot of of add ons which are all easily achievable. What this does is has the initial annual amortisation cost low but pushes more cost to later.

We are getting into tricky situation and we need to move players on. Extend a couple of contracts. Grow revenue especially like qualifying for Champions League 

Crying over spilled milk I know, but selling Philogene for £5m and replacing him with Zaniolo with a €5m loan fee + €38m option (including add ons) which is compulsory under certain conditions doesn’t seem particularly sensible on a FFP perspective considering the underwhelming impact Zaniolo has had so far. It’s hard to argue Philogene couldn’t have matched Zaniolo’s 0 goals and 0 assists in the league so far. I guess they play slightly different positions and maybe that’s why Philogene didn’t fit, but if FFP is an issue as is being implied then we need probably need to be smarter and more pragmatic

Edited by david-avfc
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

Crying over spilled milk I know, but selling Philogene for £5m and replacing him with Zaniolo with a €5m loan fee + €38m option (including add ons) which is compulsory under certain conditions doesn’t seem particularly sensible on a FFP perspective considering the underwhelming impact Zaniolo has had so far. It’s hard to argue Philogene couldn’t have matched Zaniolo’s 0 goals and 0 assists in the league so far. I guess they play slightly different positions and maybe that’s why Philogene didn’t fit, but if FFP is an issue as is being implied then we need probably need to be smarter and more pragmatic

Philogene fitted. Emery wanted to keep him. Shown by the gametime he got in the US. Problem was he wanted to play as first choice this season. At 21 years old the volume of football is key. He is getting that now. Willing to go down the leagues to play and work his way up again. Shame that he didnt stay as in hindsighr he would have probably got 10 starts in the league at left midfield/ second striker but who knew JJ would get a reoccurrence of the foot injury

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

Zaniolo is €5m loan fee and a €22.5m buy option and €15.5m in potential add-ons.

Zaniolo is an Italian international, has played multiple seasons in Europe including the Champions League. 

Philogene is 2 and a half years younger than Zaniolo, has played a total of 8 minutes of Premier League football.

Why do people try compare things that are in no way comparable? 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TRO said:

The manner in which some of our players have improved, is startling.

I have a hunch, we could bring in someone, who has struggled elsewhere, but the Villa camp could transform them, dramatically.

To me, there is a clear picture of players improving beyond belief, where others at clubs with primma donna's and synthetic expectation, have struggled.

We saw this in the late 70's  early 80's with Peter Withe, Allan Evans, Des Bremner, Tony Morley, Jimmy Rimmer, Dennis Mortimer.....all these players stepped up several levels from their previous employers.....I see something similar happening again.

I feel, this January, we could capitalise, from some good potential....and not spend a fortune.

The bunch I want are going to cost 100m

1 hour ago, david-avfc said:

You've also got the benefit of hindsight. JPB hadn't proved himself capable of producing consistently in the final third before this season and there was no way in hell he was getting first team.

3 hours ago, TRO said:

I agree with your stance on better quality, but it has to come with a mentality, that fits in with our Mantra.

Good cuts of meat, do not guarantee a good meal, if the cook is crap......But a good Chef can make a decent meal out of similar cuts.

as Wenger once said, "Teams score goals", and I agree with him.

Right now, we are playing in a manner, that would give many decent strikers, a platform to thrive....and some could shock people, playing in the right environment. We have already seen "written off" players, make us think again.

I think some players, who have struggled elsewhere, could thrive with us.......I will leave that to UE, to decide.

I don't see us splashing, mental money, on targets, (that are better odds, but still no guarantee's), make that much sense......our team spirit has not been built on primma donna's ( who know it all) its been built on players hungry with ambition, and a willingness to learn.

Chelsea, Man U etc have tried signing populist signings based on speculative reputations backed up by  Media sources come unstuck.

Tielemans, McGinn, Kamara, Luiz, Martinez, Konsa show me that with the right approach, quality is still there for modest sums........its what our Maestro is doing at BMH, is the difference.

I agree with 95% of that post but we do have to remember thaty McGinn, Luiz, Konsa, Kamara and Martinez weren't really signed to be players to push us into CL places.  It's taken some of them time to develop into players capable of being key members of a team capable of challenging the so-called Big 6.  Whereas any signings we make now will be under pressure to perform at that level much, much quicker.  This will make it much more difficult to find players that represent such great value.  Can we take a punt on a midfielder for an above average SPL team to come in and play at McGinn's level within a couple of months.  The patience that some fans have (not) given to signings like Bailey, Buendia, Tielemans, Zaniolo, Digne, etc - who haven't come in and immediately churned out team leading performances suggests that it would be harder for a player like Luiz to come in, figure out his position and stamp his authority / influence on the team.  There are very few players signed for £5m who immediately become key players for teams battling in the top third of the PL table. 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Zaniolo is €5m loan fee and a €22.5m buy option and €15.5m in potential add-ons.

Zaniolo is an Italian international, has played multiple seasons in Europe including the Champions League. 

Philogene is 2 and a half years younger than Zaniolo, has played a total of 8 minutes of Premier League football.

lol, was all the stuff about Zaniolo supposed to impress us? 

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, lexicon said:

You've also got the benefit of hindsight. JPB hadn't proved himself capable of producing consistently in the final third before this season and there was no way in hell he was getting first team.

JPB has played 1191 minutes in the league this season compared to zaniolos 482, zaniolo in theory should play even less now JJ is back

He said he wanted to leave to play football and he's done just that, the minutes weren't here for him 

Said many times now personally I think zaniolo is just cover for JJ and buendias injury with a load of clauses thrown in just in case it worked out, he's not the long term answer, next season he won't be here 

Both deals are OK for us and there's not much to moan about 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Do you have a link to the 38m figure. Not sure I’ve heard that before and it sounds crazy high. 

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

lol, was all the stuff about Zaniolo supposed to impress us? 

I get you didn't grasp the post despite it's relative simplicity.So I'll explain further. It's what's called a comparison. You see there were two players in that post there, one was Zaniolo and the other Philogene. 

Edited by CVByrne

16 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Nobody’s gonna give Sancho the big wages again - might he want to get his career back on track at Villa?

No.  Really can't see him applying himself to the level Unai demands of his players on the pitch or on the training ground.  We are more likely to sign Cilla Black imo

• Like 1
  • Haha 1