January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

3 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

I really like Zaniolo, think he looks quality… granted this might be why I’m not a football scout at any level. 

Oh I didn't mean that we have no long term plans for Zaniolo. Just not in the left midfield position. I'm pretty sure we brought him in with either a Bailey replacement (that viewpoint might have changed now with his improvement) or Diaby competition role in mind for him. With Buendia and Ramsey out for twelve and six months, he has had to play a different role to the one originally planned.

17 minutes ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

Oh I didn't mean that we have no long term plans for Zaniolo. Just not in the left midfield position. I'm pretty sure we brought him in with either a Bailey replacement (that viewpoint might have changed now with his improvement) or Diaby competition role in mind for him. With Buendia and Ramsey out for twelve and six months, he has had to play a different role to the one originally planned.

I can see there is talent there and he is a physical specimen when fit.

i haven’t seen enough to purchase him at all. 

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

I think Philogene needs to come back in the summer. Buyback price will look cheap given we sold him for 5m, buyback would be what 8-10m?

It’s £15m apparently. If he’s good enough to come back it’s still cheap

If we make one signing it’s Frimpong for me, he would defo add quality competition. Had a great understanding with Diaby too. Him on the RHS and Moreno on the LHS has a good feel to me.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, thunderball said:

It’s £15m apparently. If he’s good enough to come back it’s still cheap

I think that's only if they get promoted 

But if they don't get promoted are they going to be in a position to be turning down £15m regardless? 

Tbh, I think the only position that we REALLY need to strengthen in January is RB. I don't really like Konsa moving over that side; he needs to stay in the middle. If Cash is out, we just don't look comfortable down the right. Even with Cash available, we could still possibly upgrade the position, as much as I like him.

• Like 4

We can't seem to keep a clean sheet to save our lives, I think we need to be targeting a defender or two in January. A right back especially because Konsa doesn't look comfortable there and I don't think Cash is good enough particularly in a possession team. 

Possibly need a centre back too as mad as that sounds as we have so many. But with Mings out there isn't a leader there. Carlos and Lenglet should just be for Europe. Konsa and Pau aren't born leaders. Our defence just looks ropey every game, it can't be coincidence. 

9 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Possibly need a centre back too as mad as that sounds as we have so many. But with Mings out there isn't a leader there. Carlos and Lenglet should just be for Europe. Konsa and Pau aren't born leaders. Our defence just looks ropey every game, it can't be coincidence. 

We could play Konza..

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JoshVilla said:

Tbh, I think the only position that we REALLY need to strengthen in January is RB. I don't really like Konsa moving over that side; he needs to stay in the middle. If Cash is out, we just don't look comfortable down the right. Even with Cash available, we could still possibly upgrade the position, as much as I like him.

yeah, I think we need another RB at a minimum. 

1 hour ago, JoshVilla said:

Rb is the key position for me

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

We won't be buying in January, we aren't selling our brightest and best to overpay in a January window.

I really don't think we have too much wiggle room for splashing the cash. Another marquee signing in the summer I'd think and not much else.

Rubbish that we can’t spend any money. 

And we didn’t sell our best and brightest, Aaron Ramsey, Philogene and Archer would have got very little game time here hence the clubs where they ended up. Aaron Ramsey can’t even get a game at Burnley FFS.

Anyway a right back that is good defensively and offensively has to be a priority in January.

Been watching Lo Celso closely against Villa and now against City.

Very good tidy player who would be a quality replacement for either McGinn or Luiz to give those players a rest.

I know Villa would have to deal with Levy but he’d be a very good squad signing and much better than Donk!