January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

17 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I thought that ship had sailed?  Didn't we sign Diaby because he wanted to stay in Bilbao?

Yep but a few fans keep mentioning him as a further purchase.  I don’t think either brother is going to leave there and this just seems to further support that.

5 hours ago, CVByrne said:

We need to make a big player sale in summer to give us spending power. Unless moving on likes of Dendonker, Chambers, Traore and end of Lenglet's loan free's up enough. I think Digne will move on also, hopefully a fee for Sanson. Maybe if Tim goes on loan and impresses we can do a sale with buy back also.

Remember next season we've 80% squad cost cap in Europe, this seas it was 90%. So we've new issues and that will impact our transfer business. 

Dont get this, we've sold Chuckwumeka, Philogene, Archer & Ramsey from the academy in the last 15 months for about £55m.

Surely with the extra games in Europe, revenue will be up substantially?

20 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

If we could improve from our position of strength that would be great 

Yep I agree, it’s what all the best teams do.  We are more attractive to higher quality players and within shooting distance of a CL place at the end of the season.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

"Profit" is fine.

It's just a horrible phrase that has really boomed the last few years.

Funnily enough when people use it, it's not even 100% profit.  Ie buying a player for £10 mill and selling for £20 mill is not £10mill "pure" profit due to wages, agent fees, and loyalty bonuses etc and when using it in reference to FFP, usually the last thing it is is profit. 

Edited by Adman
Free will

7 hours ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

People talking about potential sales: how much would we need to raise for FFP? Or are there other ways we can offset it? 

pffft , just buy who we want  , win the league by 11 points and take the 10 point penalty  

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Adman said:

I wonder what his number 1 concern is that he wants to nail in the transfer window.  There must be 1 position/player that hes desperate to get sorted...

I wouldn't be surprised if he signs no one.

15 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Gregg Evans and Dan Bardell saying that Villa are fine for FFP but don't expect any signings in Jan. Gregg still saying that we will have to sell at some point to generate funds.

I think he was saying, more likely to do that, to keep our powder dry for the summer....If we make a champions league place, it will influence the type of level of player, we can attract.

There are many feasible views to it.....I guess it all depends on who is available.

I would think the Everton scenario, has spooked many clubs.....I guess they will be looking at the books from more angles than VAR.

4 hours ago, Folski said:

Dont get this, we've sold Chuckwumeka, Philogene, Archer & Ramsey from the academy in the last 15 months for about £55m.

Surely with the extra games in Europe, revenue will be up substantially?

But the % of revenue we are allowed use for FFP is decreasing. 

Under Premier League rules we can run a £100m loss (after exclusions)

Under UEFA rules not only are we not able to run a loss based in squad cost we have to run a profit. 

So when you realise the scale of the changes by being in Europe you see why it's getting tougher 

How many players do we have with real resale value to fund more purchases though?

Some of the dross will be sold but I'm not well versed in the FPP-ness of any value coming from selling Sanson, Dendoncker, etc.

Then you start looking at some of the higher value names.

Luiz, Kamara, Watkins, JJ, Konsa, McGinn, Bailey running down his contract. If we do end up qualifying for UCL, that means most of their form will have been good and will demand high values if someone is willing to buy. You're looking at something like 80M+ for either Luiz or Watkins. JJ and Kamara as young talents, you could see in the 30-40m+ range.

Some hard questions this summer.

• Confused 1
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he signs no one.

I think his ambition is too big to be happy with as is. He wants to keep improving and this will Monchi’s first proper transfer window (although not the main window) including time to prepare for it.  It all depends if the players he wants are available.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

JJ and Kamara as young talents, you could see in the 30-40m+ range.

JJ for 30-40m? We would be wanting significantly more than that surely? Palmer and Gordon went for £40m with far far less experience in the PL…not that we’d sell either.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I think his ambition is too big to be happy with as is. He wants to keep improving and this will Monchi’s first proper transfer window (although not the main window) including time to prepare for it.  It all depends if the players he wants are available.

while he see's elements to improve on , I don't think he will ever be happy......because he is driver, always seeking improvement, its his quest.....He's like Pep and Klopp.

We inevitably won't be as demanding, because we are so grateful for the improvement so far( we are fans its our entertainment)....but we can still talk about it.

• Like 1