January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

I'm a bit surprised about the calls for cover at right back and up front. Surely were now at the stage where we need to be brutal and go for improvements. 

I'd prefer if our investments went on players that make the first 11 better. If we can't do that in Jan, keep the money and do it in the summer. 

Bring in someone who's not as good as cash in January and we'll be complaining in the summer about that person's wages to not even sit on our bench. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I'm a bit surprised about the calls for cover at right back and up front. Surely were now at the stage where we need to be brutal and go for improvements. 

I'd prefer if our investments went on players that make the first 11 better. If we can't do that in Jan, keep the money and do it in the summer. 

Bring in someone who's not as good as cash in January and we'll be complaining in the summer about that person's wages to not even sit on our bench. 

100% agree.  

Also I see some say we won’t be able to attract these players, yet we continually defy that, just look at us bringing in Diaby and Torres recently.  Many top players may not entertain us as an option but many will for many reasons discussed before on these threads…

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Looking further ahead to the summer, I dont think our buyback players are really doing enough to be re-signed so wonder if we will sign replacements if we booked them in for a return

Still early days for them, Philogene is doing great at the moment but he was unique in the fact he wanted first team football so we were kind of backed into a corner. 

A. Ramsey will come good at Burnley but has been injured. 

Jury’s out on Archer but he’s playing for a team that is getting hammered week in, week out so you can hardly blame him for not ‘lighting it up’ as of yet. 

I think it’ll be 18-24 months before we see any of them return. 

4 minutes ago, burchy said:

Still early days for them, Philogene is doing great at the moment but he was unique in the fact he wanted first team football so we were kind of backed into a corner. 

Jury’s out on Archer but he’s playing for a team that is getting hammered week in, week out so you can hardly blame him for not ‘lighting it up’ as of yet. 

Yeah you can't place any sort of judgement on Archer in particular. 

Sheffield are total and utter shite and are already down. 

If we’re looking at Bailey being comp/cover for Diaby then you could argue we’re short on Watkins cover so could see another coming in there. Gimenez at Feyenoord would be a good one

I’d also like us to go for a similar player to Xavi Simons (out of our reach unfortunately), someone who can play across the deeper forward positions. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, burchy said:

I think Archer buyback is only for one season and not sure if its the same for Ramsey

1 hour ago, burchy said:

If we’re looking at Bailey being comp/cover for Diaby then you could argue we’re short on Watkins cover so could see another coming in there. Gimenez at Feyenoord would be a good one

I’d also like us to go for a similar player to Xavi Simons (out of our reach unfortunately), someone who can play across the deeper forward positions. 

Diaby is Watkins cover. Emery basically said they signed him as covers all positions in front 3

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Diaby is Watkins cover. Emery basically said they signed him as covers all positions in front 3

We also have Duran and Traore who plays there for his national team

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

We also have Duran and Traore who plays there for his national team

Yes. Traore has played near 80 career games at CF with pretty good strike rate, that said would rather play Diaby who was striker all way through PSG youth and you can see it in his game

1 hour ago, cheltenham_villa said:

we dont need a backup right back, but i think we could do with a new starting RB, where Cash is their competition.

RB is arguably the weakest part of our team right now, both in terms of starting 11 and cover.

• Like 2

With the obvious exception of M'bappé there really isn't a huge number of top class players who are out of contract this summer. Nico Williams being one of them. Wan-Bissaka is probably the highest profile RB and I doubt we'll be going for him. CB is also slim pickings with Presnel Kimpembe the big name and we ain't going for him I'd think even if Mings injury turns out to be career threatening and Carlos isn't getting back to pre injury form.

Youssouf Fofana is a interesting name for CM but according to Transfermarkt Monaco has a team option for another year so... 

Not gonna bother going through the whole lists but I'm sure there are smart pick ups to be made.

Cash is a really good player. He's fast, he scores goals, our defensive record is solid with him as an ever present... so there's not much to dislike about him. I'm also convinced, if he was a southern European/South American player, with the same level of ability, this conversation wouldn't be happening.

I don't believe, especially at right back, the ceiling is too much higher, so having a Digne/Moreno level of competition would be sufficient. What he really needs is another international calibre player to come in, challenge, and rotate with him. It'll also help him develop as a player.

This said, if Unai reckons somebody else can add an extra 1%, he'll go get the extra 1%.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

we dont need a backup right back, but i think we could do with a new starting RB, where Cash is their competition.

RB is arguably the weakest part of our team right now, both in terms of starting 11 and cover.

this is exactly how i feel. If you want to make the next jump, bring it better.

I love Cash but i dont think he plays in any other top 6 team, if thats where we want to be, we need to improve these positions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, burchy said:

i dont think we will see any of them return. Not that they wont be good players, i just dont see them being top 4 players and thats our aspiration.